The Corroboree
tipz

Looking for any medicinal herbs

I have a close friend who is in the process of starting a medicine garden in her backyard, So far I have started her off with some echinacia, pap.somniferum and ephedra sinica. I think she has chamomile too.

Would anybody have any interesting additions or recommendations for herbs and plants used for medicinal purposes ?

Happy to purchase or trade something or other.

Thanks me lovelies

Tipz

• Like 1

Perhaps

Would anybody have any interesting additions or recommendations for herbs and plants used for medicinal purposes ?

Possibly but it would help if the field were narrowed a touch, is there something she wishes to treat?

If she is keen on mycology i dont think you could go past Reishi.

For indoor plants i recon gingers and or mints, love em all.

Watercress if she has a moist spot.

If she is in a place where it were it is legal i would say tobacco.

• Like 1

She lives in a rare utopia where all plants are legal.

Gingers and mints would be great. ( she lives in a coastal temperate area - would a greenhouse suffice ? )

I'd ask her is she has a moist spot but she might take that the wrong way :blush: ( lol - just kidding ) She has an acre or two - I'm sure we could try make a suitable spot. But it does get very hot and dry in summers here.

Did you have any seeds for any of the above mentioned plants Shortly ?

• Like 2

bunnings and local markets can sometimes to be sauce for decent plants

• Like 1

just get the basics and start from there some of the most useful/healing are common.

peppermint is good for reflux and gas, after a good cup of that im burting and farting for a good couple of hours and gets rid of any bloating.

• Like 1

just get the basics and start from there some of the most useful/healing are common.

peppermint is good for reflux and gas, after a good cup of that im burting and farting for a good couple of hours and gets rid of any bloating.

I distinctly remember reading in books about herbs that peppermint can be hazardous to women who are pregnant, trying to be, and possibly those breastfeeding; Google it's hazards.

There should be some books on herbal medicine in the local libraries, or your state may have statewide database and borrowing like mine does.

Edited by CLICKHEREx

Aloe vera, Lemon balm, tyme, sage,comfrey ...be me thoughts tipz on top of previous recommendations...all WB household mainstays.

edit - parsley as well thinkin about it

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 3

Yeah an Aloe is a must have in EVERY kitchen

I wouldn't be without a teatree or a lemon myrtle but they may have weed potential elsewhere?

Sorry Tipz, i've given up on watercress & mints for the time being & my gingers rarely set seed. I'm just a touch cool here to get fruit set.

• Like 1

She lives in a rare utopia where all plants are legal.

Now that i think about it Iboga would be one to consider if the conditions suited

Have just been contacted by a member here who has shown me great generosity once before.

This time is no different. He has offered free of charge to send me roughly thirty packets of medicinal seed. No request for trade or compensation - just out of the goodness of his heart.

This forum really does have some amazing people.

<3

• Like 4

St johns wort for mild analgestic it is well known for its antidepressant effect . Valerian is a sedative wild lettuce is also a sedetive herb. stinning nettle is good for you if you boil the leaves and drink it as a tea. Marahmallow is said to heal woonds. Pot marigold is anti-inflammatory. Lavender is good for tension headaches. Korean ginseng is good for low energy.their are so many plants to list.

• Like 1

many thanks Onyeka and all those who have posted above.

I am being sent thirty different species from the kind member I spoke of above. He also has other species that will be obtainable in the near future.

He is a smart cookie and this is obviously one of his passions. I'm thinking I may well have most of what has been mentioned so far and more on the way.

If there is any excess seed that My new friend and neighbour has left over after sowing, I will come back and offer free of charge to those interested in this thread to keep the love flowing. I will do my best anyway

Much love SAB crew