The Corroboree

Why do larger values of money come in bills, which can be torn, burnt, and easily washed away, rather than in coins?

I just don't get it.

Because coins are easy to counterfeit.

If they made 100 dollar coins I'd invest a few grand in an EDM tomorrow

Edited by SallyD
  • Like 1

Also the coins that we know dont have a serial numbers what would be an open invitation for criminals. Many Bankrobbers, thieves and blackmailers are brought down by the serial number on the bills. If someone has marked ransom money, its pretty much worthless.

The way that coin pressing plates are produced is pretty time consuming. I assume it would be very unefficient to produce coins with serial numbers. You would need to change it for every coin you press. I mean, you could surely do it but i dont think it would outweigh the costs. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

Above comments make sence.

Also, dont we all hate coins? They destroy good wallets and take up alot of space. Might as well carry around gold bars if you gave them a higher value.

Oh and Aust notes are rather expensive to print.

Because coins are easy to counterfeit.

If they made 100 dollar coins I'd invest a few grand in an EDM tomorrow

I'm pretty sure paper notes would be easier to counterfeit, especially with the technology available today. Coins are actually pretty hard to counterfeit as they require an exact weight, the right die, the right alloy mix and precious metals.

I think the main reason for having notes instead of coins is for transport reasons. In the past, people would have to transport large quantities of metals or coins for high value purchases. And high value coins would obviously have to be large, otherwise people would lose them or mix them up with low-value coins.

Actually come to think of it, the price of gold these days almost makes it easy enough to carry. e.g. say you went to buy a house for $500,000 - you could give them 5000 x $100 notes, which would probably weigh about 5 kilos; or you could give them 10 kilos in gold. Of course you could also give them a $500K gemstone or something else, I'm more just thinking aloud about how far the price of gold has come in the last few years (and wishing I'd bought some, haha).

don't put coins in ya wallet. carry a little sack, like a sunglasses bag made out of tough material.

I'm pretty sure paper notes would be easier to counterfeit, especially with the technology available today. Coins are actually pretty hard to counterfeit as they require an exact weight, the right die, the right alloy mix and precious metals.

I think the main reason for having notes instead of coins is for transport reasons. In the past, people would have to transport large quantities of metals or coins for high value purchases. And high value coins would obviously have to be large, otherwise people would lose them or mix them up with low-value coins.

People have made coins to trick vending machines using nothing more than a lathe, common metals and some common measuring equipment.

The vending machine doesn't care what they are made of and many machines will give change without you buying anything. Small fry, but there is always some idiot willing to take the risk and do the rounds and clean out many machines.

Modern notes generally aren't paper these days, they are plastic or cotton fiber. They also have have many different security devices built into them like watermarks, metallic strips or RFID chips so they are much harder to copy. You don't even have to buy anything to be tracked if you are carrying US notes. They say the chip in the US notes explodes if you put it an a microwave.

Counterfeiting is a federal crime so don't try it at home kids, you could end up in gaol

I saw a show awhile ago and apparently australian notes are supposed to be the hardest to counterfeit the government spent shitloads on making our notes almost impossible to counterfeit employing new technology, artists, graffic designers and heaps more. The american government actually employs ex counterfeiters to help design notes and identify counterfeit bills

don't put coins in ya wallet. carry a little sack, like a sunglasses bag made out of tough material.

Would that be called a purse? :P

That reminds me of Seinfeld that time someone stole Jerry's purse.

STOP HIM,HE'S GOT MY ...................... purse :unsure:

Australia has still had a spate of counterfeiting and just this year there were heaps of ten dollar notes counterfeited and they were really good copies but the idiots fucked up the signatures some had em some did not and some were just the wrong sig,lol The quality of print was good and the paper/polymer quality was extremely good best i have felt in fake notes, I would be guessing only but they probably printed a shit load of them and I hear some twenties, and thats the best way cos $100.00 notes are picked up quick.

Would that be called a purse? :P

That reminds me of Seinfeld that time someone stole Jerry's purse.

STOP HIM,HE'S GOT MY ...................... purse :unsure:

it really is a sack, and you can't get more masculine than that.

Ive only got room for one sack in my pockets.

fine. wreck your wallet.

my coin scrote is also much easier to get coins into and out of, compared to the crappy little coin-slot you find in a wallet.

• Like 2

fine. wreck your wallet.

my coin scrote is also much easier to get coins into and out of, compared to the crappy little coin-slot you find in a wallet.

hey chunderz, do you like this one? i let santa know but...........alas............i don't think she will procure it for me?LOL

don't you find your coins get a bit smelly when you store them in "nature's pocket"?