The Corroboree
bit

What did you do to your cacti today?

Cheers Dreamwalker

thats odd my grandiflorus are all in bud....I would have thought yours would have flowered 6 months ago

Cacti are interesting! Sometimes we get spring and fall flowering - it may have something to do with the abundant sunlight (combined with shorter days) giving plants extra energy for a late burst of flowering. I routinely see M. Grahamii exhibit flowering this way in the desert while hiking.

• Like 2

Getafix - that garden, pure sexual chocolate. Amazing stuff. :drool2::wub::worship:

• Like 2

Thanks Zed. The cactus garden is two years old so looking forward to my cactus jungle to come!

Edited by Getafix
  • Like 2

Garden of Eden in Southern Sweden?

A krillion sounds nise but one really really big one would be a

good place to start :D really I gotta move somewhere tropical

maybe bring somewhere tropical to you?

theres some awesome ideas on here from polycarbonate geodomes to grafting boxes ....

....maybe the sort of grow set up they use for cannabis and the systems in use for tropical pets .....

...could be tinkered with and perfected , to be clear, rainforest room "tents" of different sizes and proportions, with humidifiers and accurate digital monitoring;

with a view to the requirements of tropical jungle plants.. and with all the benefits of a hot house brought to the modern day as affordably and efficiently as humanly possible ~I guess, then it wouldn't be long before it would matter not how cold the weather could be

or even as a theme room for a bathroom ....

mmm *imagines stepping out of the shower through some live plant curtains and onto soft sterile mosses and being careful not to step on the frogs... :o ayahuaska towel rail ....

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

checking some seedlings and saw this on a huarazensis x N1, is it a double header or a crest? or just temp...

post-13685-0-79713000-1412038175_thumb.p

post-13685-0-67336800-1412038264_thumb.p

Untitled 6.png

Untitled 7.png

Untitled 6.png

Untitled 7.png

• Like 2

2 months ago i sowed some really old ss02 x "serra blue" seeds. After a week they hadnt germinated, and since i was moving a few hours away and had limited space i just left the pots uncovered. Last night i returned for the first time and found that, during those 2 months with absolutely no water (except nighttime fog) , and daily temps into the 80s, all of these badass cacti sprouted and grew:

rIujwTo.jpg

really gives me an appreciation for how tough trich seedlings are..

they grew in the shadow of this big boy:

6L5I9Xn.jpg

Edited by Ohlone
  • Like 6

finally noticed some roots on a roseii-1 tip been in a pot for some 8 months, the peru cut next to it nothing yet but at least it hasn't rotted so that's something i guess

finally some new green growth on said peru, it's all happening

• Like 1

maybe bring somewhere tropical to you?

theres some awesome ideas on here from polycarbonate geodomes to grafting boxes ....

....maybe the sort of grow set up they use for cannabis and the systems in use for tropical pets .....

...could be tinkered with and perfected , to be clear, rainforest room "tents" of different sizes and proportions, with humidifiers and accurate digital monitoring;

with a view to the requirements of tropical jungle plants.. and with all the benefits of a hot house brought to the modern day as affordably and efficiently as humanly possible ~I guess, then it wouldn't be long before it would matter not how cold the weather could be

or even as a theme room for a bathroom ....

mmm *imagines stepping out of the shower through some live plant curtains and onto soft sterile mosses and being careful not to step on the frogs... :o ayahuaska towel rail ....

I like the concept of Earthships...but in temperate climates they still need a heat source for overcast winter periods.( which means drinking smoke/fume deposits from roof rain collection systems..though first flush can reduce the pollutants intake)..& maybe a windmill.....or some other source than just pv's that work in overcast winter periods...........insect/ fungal pests are a real problem...& without high lumen's during the winter period & reliable temps.. your limited in the tropicals & plants you can grow...

Back on topic......potting up 3 x species of periskia ..they grow really fast from seed..70mm in 3 weeks...cacti are a good food source/low pest management for Eartshi[ps etc...

Edited by Dreamwalker.
  • Like 1

cleaned up my greenhouse and all my grafts and seedlings off ground tonight :(

post-1330-0-30772400-1412081579_thumb.jp

post-1330-0-30772400-1412081579_thumb.jpg

post-1330-0-30772400-1412081579_thumb.jpg

Oh man, that sucks. Was that from the wind? Did the whole greenhouse rip off the base?

Yeah mate, snapped the plastic connectors and destroyed pretty much the whole frame :(

Awe man! That's a sad day for sure. Hope you can pick up the pieces.

cleaned up my greenhouse and all my grafts and seedlings off ground tonight :(

No good mate. Hope you can salvage most of them.

Getafix

Well, not today, but a couple days ago I took some clippings to make 4 lots of 11 plants each. I'm looking to get rid of these to US folks as lots. Anyhow, in the process I knocked over one of the plants onto my foot and now have a swollen foot full of spines. I may end up at the doctors if it doesn't go down in the next day or two.

post-19-0-46532900-1412209815_thumb.jpg post-19-0-38773700-1412209805_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-87280900-1412209827_thumb.jpg

From left to right, T. pachanoi "Kimnach," T. argentinensis, T. pallarensis, T. tarmaensis, T. pachanoi "Huaraz," T. bridgesii "Lumberjackus," T. peruvianus.

post-19-0-12388500-1412209839_thumb.jpg

T. pachanoi PC variegated, T. santaensis

T. macrogonus, T. bridgesii "SS02" x ? (probably T. huanuoensis)

~Michael~

post-19-0-38773700-1412209805_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-46532900-1412209815_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-38773700-1412209805_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-46532900-1412209815_thumb.jpg

Edited by M S Smith
  • Like 6

"Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:16 PM

3 hours of BAPing"

...................& still no pups....not even a tiddler... :scratchhead:

Yeah mate, snapped the plastic connectors and destroyed pretty much the whole frame :(

Damn, I know that feeling. Those cheap greenhouses only work when you put a lot of time into reinforcing them.

is there a thread on here about wind-force strengthening for out-door plant room/greenhouse structures ?

I wonder how good, just a bunch of polystyrene clad breeze blocks on a fat concrete foundation, and concrete/cement glue

with a frame built into them; would suffice?

and replaceable polycarbonate top walls and roof... n stuffs, heck maybe even a tent-type thing or poly tunnel roof...

maybe silicone and expanding foam somewhere in the mixing pot

sorry to hear mushroomman, I'm still on the drawing board myself for something non-brick and concrete but stumped

*sends each cactus a hug and a sprinkle of magick dust* :wub:

I wonder if some buddies in florida (and other really stormy places) have some tips to filter out and collect

and thankyou for the feedback on the earth houses dreamwalker :worship:

sorry to hear about ur foot too Michael , wishing it a speedy recovery , ... those steps look gorgeous- probably even without the cacti onnem!

would be nice to have some aztek/chavin-like masonary/steps in my garden , thanks for the insp' too

*adds to drawing board* (seeing as a pyramid is probably out of the question)

today I went for a cuppa and a chill with me olde cacti and noticed it was ferquing frozzle ... only 15C so I put a little heater on for 20 mins to get it up to a comfortable 18 and just visually checked the cacti to make sure theyre drying out (substrate media colour) nicely

I checked my only definitely-known peruvianus pup but no roots yet , perhaps since I took them off the heatpad

but sure enough they will at some point be exploding into rootaje and not rottage

I planted a funny kind of succulent that I liberated from a scop pot..., possibly a euphorbia of some kind ....

that appeared to be a succulent weed inherited from the cactus shop

its leaves create little circles up the length of the leaf ... and those lil circles grow into new plantlets and fall off really easy

(lol fuck having one of those in the greenhouse :P )

maybe I'll give it to the school for something easy to teach propogation with .. :)

hoovered all the gaps between the pots and added three clouds of sulphur to all the cacti,

may the gods bless that evil genius for his sulphuric advice :worship:

still waiting on some seed trays to sow the next batch of seeds, 2" pots lost their novelty already x]

might just fly to the GC n grab a pack

post-14443-0-64075700-1412243226_thumb.j

DSC00022.JPG

DSC00022.JPG

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

I'm still on the drawing board myself for something non-brick and concrete

2nd gh I built (35 yrs ago) had a foundation of used railroad ties. If I recall, I dug down 12" or so in the ground, stacked RR ties 2 layers high & nailed 'em together with short pieces of rebar. Then made hoops out of electrical conduit & covered the hoops with corrugated fiberglass panels. the ends of the conduit hoops inserted into holes drilled into the RR ties near the outside edges, then pinned with a nail thru the side of the RR tie into the conduit. this was in a part of the country that experienced high winds & long cold winters, farkin glad I'm far from there now........

• Like 1

The cheap pre made GH im useing (well jsut the steel frame im using) Have to dyna bolt it into the concrete lol I've had bad experiences like the above as well :(

Otherwise the one built myself from wood, foundations cemented into the ground solid as :D

I am sorry to hear about the destruction. Wind is a tough bugger.

Hey did I tell you I will pay or trade for variegated pachanoi cutting?

• Like 1

Not relevant to thread.

Edited

Edited by Getafix

there's some nice looking bus stops and bike garage things at work places to park bikes that look like awesome growerys

I wonder who makes them , theyre pretty much thick-painted steel and either toughened glass or polycarbonate ... as far as I can gather by eye

I wonder if a bus stop company would be the next generation outdoor cactus tank.. i mean tunnel,

theyre definitely built like a tank to withstand all the yobs of various parts :P ... and the weather.., might need a crane to drop one into place though

and I have no clue how thick the foundation-crete wd have to be but I'm sure its heavy as f..just the frame would need a nice shading mesh ...

autoglass companys should really be helping the grower by this modern day and age surely , I'd love rear heated windows for the rainforest box

and cactus tank, save havn to warm their feet would that... and lose the condensation on the RFB

I like your idea of fibreglass zelly, .. spent many an hour watchn folk fibreglass hovercrafts , trikes and bikes, and cars etc .. I never even gave it a thought

thank you , and fr the conduit idea... I wonder how flexible our pvc piping is before it cracks or folds... ... or if it could be filled with a foam too maybe

had insane sex with a whole slew of pretty flowery babes.... & damn near fell off an 8 foot ladder doing so.....

jack & juulie went up the hill to watch the flowers dance, jack & juulie came down the hill not wearing any pants !!

15247534030_cfa9b46cd1_b.jpg

• Like 10