The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nut

Thai Tektites- anyone interested

I was reading that Moldavite thread the other day and realised I had a reasonable bag of Indochinite Tektites I collected myself whilst walking around the rural parts of North East Thailand( a white guy gets some real interest from the locals walking around looking at the ground for ages!). They occur in a very specific strata of the soil up there and I came to recognise that it was being used to fill rice patties for construction so after rain those areas were ripe for the picking. I only want the big boy, that discoid one. The rest are just collecting dust. Do these interest anyone here?post-6697-0-83710500-1432886646_thumb.jp

post-6697-0-62258600-1432886719_thumb.jp

post-6697-0-19464800-1432886884_thumb.jp

post-6697-0-83710500-1432886646_thumb.jpg

post-6697-0-62258600-1432886719_thumb.jpg

post-6697-0-19464800-1432886884_thumb.jpg

post-6697-0-83710500-1432886646_thumb.jpg

post-6697-0-62258600-1432886719_thumb.jpg

post-6697-0-19464800-1432886884_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I'm interested :wink: I like things from the earth, and beyond.

• Like 1

Mate I'm not looking for much. I would rather someone love them than they sit in a draw. Any cacti seeds or cuts would be appreciated or microscopy prints of cubes or anything you may have that interest the mind...take your pick and stimulate my brain.

• Like 1

see what other takers might be about :wink: There may be some others.

I'd love 'em....lol

We can sort a trade no probs beyond that mate

pm'd my daughter would lurv 1 :)

No probs mate, nothing more rewarding than inspiring a young mind!

• Like 2

Awesome! I've been fascinated with tektites for a while now, I've been on the hunt for a nice piece to make a macrame necklace for a while so I'd love to receive some, it's nice to know the back story of finding them yourself too. Pm to follow, I'm happy to send you things in return

• Like 1

I know someone who would love one for their rock collection. Pm'd.

oooh I collect crystals so would love one.
Pm'ed you

Edited by tangled

Ah fuk I missed out my daughter is a crystal collector as well

No Incog I'll be able to sort her out with one for sure. I've just got a particularly awesome hangover I'm going to deal with today and I will get back to you all individually tomorrow.The interest has been fantastic!

Ok I've managed to tame this hangover beastie and sent off a game plan to the relevant peeps

pm sent if you still have some :)

Ok all the lots of Tektites are making another journey now to just about every state in Australia. Well travelled they are! Udon Thani NE Thailand,flight to Bangkok, flight to Perth , West Aus and very soon to be trucking it across the country. Bet they didn't expect that when an asteroid smacked into what is now Lake Tonle Sap in Cambodia ( theoretical impact area) and they were ejected into the upper atmosphere as liquid glass only to rain back down in Udon and all other areas( including Australia, making up the Australasian strewn field)in a semi plastic state roughly 700,000 years ago or so a theory goes. There's some great info online about them. Each one tells a different formation story and the marks on their surface are a bit like finger prints, individual and tell a little of how each one was formed. Enjoy People!

• Like 9

wow mate.....thank you :wink:

They have a nice feel, very much appreciated

they are awesome, thank you very much :)

bigcheers mate, so many!

my daughter is so stoked

and i have to add your last post definitely sparked

my own interest

and they are very cool

thanks brah, very much appreciated

Gifts between humans

Molten rock raises pleasure

Smashed to smitherines

• Like 2

Like glass!

Thank you very much nut!

They have a warm comforting tingling energy. Very nice :)

Glad to hear all are happy and they arrived, would have replied earlier but I've been a little busy trying to stay in one piece in the concrete jungle that is Bangkok. Hit the nail on the head with the glass bit Incog. That's basically what they are. Like volcanic glass but formed via asteroid/ meteorite impact. Same thing as moldavite just different chemical make up. Sand blasted into liquid glass only to rain down back on the earth again and in the case of those tektites still soft when they came back down. From what I read the Aussie ones travelled so far they had solidified by the time they hit the ground. They say it is the driest glass created, lower H2O content than volcanic glass and extremely difficult to recreate artificially. I've read the Chinese pump out a lot of fakes. Enjoy they were just collecting dust and I had the thought someone on here might like em. I have to say a huge thanks to everyone for all the gifts in return. I never expected such an ethno Xmas in return. Gotta love SAB! I'm actually back in Udon right now, so I expect I'll get on the beers and go give the locals a lil something to spin out at again. Fucking crazy white guy...beer in hand looking at dirt. Lol.

• Like 5

You and sethomopod should exchange contacts he's over in nam