The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tripsis

On a Remote Island, Lessons In How Ecosystems Function

Thanks for this link.

Ascension seems a portent, or informative insight, of the Anthropocene Epoch that is unfolding around us. One heck of a ride..

Ethnobotanists are undoubtedly spicing up the journey..

Woohoo.

Great read, thanks for that :)

Thanks for this link.

Ascension seems a portent, or informative insight, of the Anthropocene Epoch that is unfolding around us. One heck of a ride..

Ethnobotanists are undoubtedly spicing up the journey..

Woohoo.

I agree Tarenna. Tim Low, who I'm sure you're familiar with, has some interesting views on the topic (of colonisation by exotic species).

Ultimately, no matter what we do, ecosystems will readjust and speciation will occur amongst species whose ranges have been altered through human influence.

• Like 1

Know Tim quite well and agree entirely with your post. I often wonder about optimising or maximising species assemblages in our living spaces (e.g. with entheogenic or agricultural/food/medicine species) without degrading or eroding adjoining long-standing or significant species assemblages such as Australia's Gondwanan heritage. I am working toward this in a couple of places.. Lots of fun I must say... an experiment in motion!!

Are you doing that through only selecting species known to be non-invasive and/or with low dispersal potential?

Definitely trying to - though eternal vigilance is required. I undertake a form of risk assessment prior to any introduction and planting, although (as with all natural systems) there are permutations, perturbations and stochastic occurrences that mean that sometimes even very low risk species behave badly under specific circumstances....

Nice to see such care and forethought, though I wouldn't expect anything less from you really. :)

Custodianship of our amazing landscapes is a responsibility that I take very seriously...

peace

• Like 2