The Corroboree
phytolator

spiralling salvia growth

Hi all,

this is my first post, just thought I'd share a pic of a recent fun discovery in the garden...
Salvia growing spirally! I haven't seen this before.
**salvia is legal to grow where I am btw**

post-13622-0-20868600-1388919143_thumb.p

post-13622-0-38173100-1388919193_thumb.p

post-13622-0-20868600-1388919143_thumb.png

post-13622-0-38173100-1388919193_thumb.png

post-13622-0-20868600-1388919143_thumb.png

post-13622-0-38173100-1388919193_thumb.png

• Like 10

Welcome to the forums phytolator :)

Very weird and cool. Do you have any ideas as to what might have caused it? Because this plant is propagated vegetatively, it seems unlikely that it would be a genetic thing, so I'm guessing it must be something caused by the growing conditions.

If you keep propagating vegetatively for too long, a plant can become prone to slight genetic mutations that are usually carried from then on. It's a little bit like inbreeding depression, or like a mutant cactus from seed, but it's different to both of those things.

It's a mutation from prolonged/repeated asexual reproduction.

It may even make your plants more bitter. If you pollinated it's flowers then the offspring would be back to normal again.

Pretty cool plant by the way :)

• Like 2

Hi Phytolator :)

Good to see you round these parts.

That's one AWESOME plant you have there, very worthy of worship.

I have seen mild spiralling on some of mine, although nothing ever of this calibre of exquisite oddness!

Is there any chance it could be a sucker (I can't remember the proper name for it) sprouted off the roots? One of mine is doing this and a friend mentioned the other day that the suckers have a much higher likelihood of displaying mutations.

Welcome to the forums phytolator :)

Very weird and cool. Do you have any ideas as to what might have caused it? Because this plant is propagated vegetatively, it seems unlikely that it would be a genetic thing, so I'm guessing it must be something caused by the growing conditions.

^ sorry no idea what caused it! ...cannibalism?

Waaack!

That's awesome - Twisty Sally D!

Is it just on one part of a plant or have you cloned it so the whole plant is twisty?

^ it begins halfway up the plant, has continued for about 30cm and I hope it continues further! I am waiting to see if it produces twisting laterals, but I may just take a cutting off the top and get a 100% twisted clone happening :-)

Hi Phytolator :)

Good to see you round these parts.

That's one AWESOME plant you have there, very worthy of worship.

I have seen mild spiralling on some of mine, although nothing ever of this calibre of exquisite oddness!

Is there any chance it could be a sucker (I can't remember the proper name for it) sprouted off the roots? One of mine is doing this and a friend mentioned the other day that the suckers have a much higher likelihood of displaying mutations.

^ it COULD be that... pretty sure it has sprouted form the base of an established plant, although didn't display this twisting until a few nodes later...

Sally with a helical twist!

That could be the only one in the world to exibit that trait.

If you keep propagating vegetatively for too long, a plant can become prone to slight genetic mutations that are usually carried from then on. It's a little bit like inbreeding depression, or like a mutant cactus from seed, but it's different to both of those things.

It's a mutation from prolonged/repeated asexual reproduction.

It may even make your plants more bitter. If you pollinated it's flowers then the offspring would be back to normal again.

Pretty cool plant by the way :)

I remember reading somewhere that composting caapi leaves helps genetically weak plants. I'll try to find the source.

Wow, that is amazing!