The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DiscoStu

sloppy joe's fudge-it

let's see

• decreased taxes
  • increased spending
  • all by reducing the "deficit" and having "$90 billion in reduced revenue"

this guys a god damn magician. is anyone in australia going to fall for this magicest of magic puddings?

this guys a god damn magician. is anyone in australia going to fall for this magicest of magic puddings?

I bet there will be a groundswell of apathy or indifference or maybe even both.

Does anyone still believe that our government is running anything ?

They are more like the office staff for the Australian branch of New World Inc. just here to rubber stamp the sellout and keep it running smoothly.

Budget crisis, where are you?

Good old Joe, he's not issuing handouts, he's just letting us have some of our own money back...

There is a difference between a hand out and a tax cut.

Yeah, if you give money to people it's called a "handout", if you give it to business it's a "tax cut".

Small business owners are people

Eh T might dig the tax cuts?

But yeah crises averted FYI coz how? well coz we fucking said so! :wink:

Im sure most of ye have noticed the PR machine ratcheting up a notch for election mode and as per usual the murdoch press is all over it like flies on shit ready to sell it, and as per usual apathy reigns within the fourth estate unwilling to ask any real questions like how these tax cuts are supposed to stimulate the economy/create jobs for young people, the elderly and parents wanting to re enter the work force. Or my favorite doubling the deficit and throwing cash around at the same percentage rate of gdp that labour was during the GFC with no real reason too, the self proclaimed financial managers Which seem more than likely to be leading us into a recession. The nearly 1 billion being spent on domestic spying /meta data (which we still have no costings for), cutting family tax benefits from the poor to give to the more well off, cuts to foreign aid, and more cuts to public service. not as bad as last years budget but very much still meh also no mention and or drive to go after tax rorts & evasion.

Probably be an early election so the whispers speculate, hoping im wrong but could perhaps see the same result as in Britain with the Tories winning another term. Would like to think the people will kick the coalition out but with the media ready to spruik the propaganda could very much be a repeat of the last election with all the veiled bigotry/nationalism etc etc, Tonys had a fairly average run since all the negativity but for the most part the opposition have been left out of almost all MSM articles albiet a few ( not that they have much to offer haha ) and the greens are still very much alone in the wilderness on that front.

^ yeah YT made some good points.

The domestic spying funding is curious given the timing of the netflix issue and metadata laws. Almost straight after metadata retention laws were implemented we saw legal action for illegal downloads of content and now a tax is being implemented. I see it as a deep packet inspection system implemented by Hollywood and paid for by Australian taxpayers under thin veil of national security. The national security aspects are more of a fringe benefit than a primary motivation.

Like they say there is no such thing as coincidence in politics, the taxation and prosecution deals have been hashed out by lawyers in the US for the last few years, priming us for our position in the TTP facade/charade that we are not supposed to know about.

As for the election propaganda, as YT said it's starting to ramp up - I just heard a few days ago that abbott is scoring the same as shorten in opinion polls (brainwashing polls). All he had to do to claw back public opinion was stay out of the public view for 2 months - for someone so hated beforehand, I just can't believe that bullshit.

The jobs funding is perplexing too, they are calling it a job creation scheme but all I've seen is an announcement is that a few hundred million is being thrown at the issue. Normally a scheme like that requires a plan and some sort of projects that need workers. We don't make anything here anymore, so I don't know where those jobs will materialise. Maybe we can all do barista courses and sell each other skinny lattès, at least we'll get to buy some chinese made electronic crap with the tax breaks and keep this ponzi scheme afloat for a bit longer.

Eh forgot some junk :D

Interested to see exactly wtf Pyne has done with University deregulation, as he previously stated he wasn't going to give up on it then when asked yesterday gave his classic bob the builder quote that he "fixed it" then obviously wouldn't elaborate on it at all.

Also shit loads more cash for the howard created public parasite on the tax payer teat that is employment service providers. There was an excellent expose on the rorting going on by four corners not too long ago, one of the biggest was Max employment which is american based with million dollar profit margins and just recently won one of the biggest ever tenures offered (in this country for this particular "industry") to supply "services" to the unemployed. Their outcomes are precarious at best.

Whilst on the other hand we also have the public service cuts which i forgot to mention more including programs for domestic abuse for women and education & training Tafes, Hsc re -entry programs, community outreach etc being gutted in favor of marketising the whole shebang for some moola. Just the domestic abuse issue alone should be making more headlines and being talked about 34 dead women just this year isnt something we should gloss over in the media and funding.

yeah those employment places are a waste of time. i recently had to do an "intensive" job search 5hr/day for 5 days. i did it all in 40 mins on the day of the appointment and they just ticked and flicked it. honestly don't know what the point of it all is really.

we really need a federal icac, my money's on the reason high income super tax breaks aren't being seriously looked into is because all their rich friends/donors benefit the most from it.

Don't forget the politicians themselves Stu

Thanks guys very happy to read all your insights.

The courier mail is giving hockey rockstar treatment today

I can't wait to kick these grubs out of office

It will be interesting to see what becomes of the tax avoidance issue, considering Murdoch is number 1 on the ato hit list.

The rich and high income.. If they didn't employ so many people, their super tax breaks would almost seem immoral.

Treasurer Joe Hockey's grand Multinational Anti-Avoidance Law has that most admirable quality in a tax measure – it begins small, and proceeds to shrink to almost nothing.

The exemplary target appears to be Google, which has a sales staff in Australia but books some $2 billion in revenue to Singapore, and the profits end up in tax havens. That's Microsoft's model as well.

But it looks like Apple won't be caught by the new provisions, because it does book sales in Australia. It has already creamed off most of its profits through related-party deals in Singapore as its iPhones, iPads and computers are shipped from China, before its resells them to Apple Australia for $5.5 billion a year.

There are three quarters of a million companies operating in Australia, and this new law targets 30 foreign tech companies - and even these may be a stretch.

"As you address the various legislative gateways in the new rules you are confronted by a series of vague and untested concepts," Clayton Utz noted in a Budget response. "These build on each other, so by the end of the interpretative process taxpayers will inevitably face considerable uncertainty as to whether the law applies in their particular circumstances."

The more details of the new law that emerge, the more marginal its impact appears. The first we may hear about it is in five years time when there is an obscure court case.

http://www.afr.com/news/policy/budget/federal-budget-2015-apple-likely-to-sidestep-hockeys-tax-20150513-gh0way

so is this a breath of hot stinky air that probably costs more to administer than it'll take in?

The exemplary target is Newscorp. They are the only company sitting in the ATO's high risk category. If they can bag murdoch, everyone else will fall into line. I dont think the ATO have the resources. It would be worth a decent crack though