The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Brendo

Buyer beware

So I purchased some Loph seeds from a buyer on E-Bay. Terrible germination rates. I should have checked his rep as all the neg reps were regarding seeds not sprouting & him not replying to questions etc.. Anyway I was scratching my head wondering how this guy could possibly still have 99.8% positive feedback.

Now I'm not big on how to use ebay, but it seems he has dummy accounts leaving positive feedback.. Can anyone confirm this?

http://m.ebay.com.au/seller?sid=botanicbounty2012&itemId=271099888450

It looks liks the same user leaves the same copy/pasted message for example "fast delivery to canada, thanks A+++" about 10 times for different products, then another user will leave 10 different positive reps but the message is copy & pasted.

This really grinds my gears..

I've messaged him but am not really expecting to get anywhere. What power do ebay have to force a refund if I put in a complaint request?

Please don't waste your money on this guy.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Edited by Brendo

i don't think you could get a return on seeds if your complaint is germination rate, he could put it up to your lack of skill rather than the seeds being defective (not that i'm saying that you have a lack of skill just what i imagine he would say). if he sent you the correct seeds of the correct type then i believe the transaction is complete, you can always try and lodge an item not as described claim with ebay/paypal to get a refund but I wouldn't expect anything, a partial refund at the most. you have i think 45 days to launch action, if it's outside that window then you can't do anything.

Yeah ebay seeds can be a crapshoot no matter what kinda plants. Generally once you find good vendors I say stick with them, ebay or otherwise.

• Like 3

Thanks Discostu,

Another batch of the same seed sent from a member here began germinating within 2 weeks, and they're in the same conditions. But I see what you mean in that he'll point the finger at me. He must make his living using these loopholes.

Thanks for the advice, I'll contact ebay tonight.

dangit I've ordered a bunch of seed packets off this vendor last week. Will report back re: viability, didn't get any lophy seed though.

I'd also probably think twice about making complaints unless you're certain it's the seed that that's the problem. I say this because there are so many factors that influence whether seeds sprout or not...once I bought some Moringa oleifera seeds off ebay, swore black and blue that I'd been shafter because none had sprouted compared to a different batch of seed I'd had, but the seeds all came up about a month later for whatever reason.

Also the timeframes involved in the germination of seeds generally means that most people don't get to leave valid feedback - by the time the plants are growing and healthy (or not) and if you actually remember to write feedback, usually I find it's after the eBay cutoff time and I can't be bothered anyway. I find mostly these days complaining about things is a waste of energy - if I get bad seeds, I just remember the username and won't buy from that vendor again. There's more than a few folks out there selling quality seeds.

I'd generally steer clear of ebay for cactus seeds or basically cactus anything. There seems to be a lot of rubbish in that department on there for whatever reason (probably too many teenagers looking to "snort sum san pedroz bruh").

• Like 1

I'm selling heaps of cool varieties of loph seeds, with the condition that you cant leave feedback to any forum members.

Edit: Joking

Edited by ThunderIdeal

It looks liks the same user leaves the same copy/pasted message for example "fast delivery to canada, thanks A+++" about 10 times for different products, then another user will leave 10 different positive reps but the message is copy & pasted.

That's just because the buyer bought ten different items/listing, and can't be fucked crafting a unique feedback response to each so they just paste their standard positive feedback message. I do the same thing, as I imagine most people would do.

• Like 2

I've been looking at the awesome selection of seed from this vendor also. Wondering how viable they could be. I'd have no problem handing over the moolah if I knew some would germ. Anyone else purchased from here, how's your germ rates?

So far I've had 6/40 germinate. Not great, but compared to loph seed I've received via trades with the wonderful people on this forum, I'd say keep your money. Although he apparantly he sells 1000's of seeds so it could just be my luck receiving an older batch or something..