The Corroboree

Hey awesome work Amazonian , have you carved anything in bone? deer antler is good too, Hope you don't breath in too much dust when you're working .

• Like 1

Thanks blowng. As yet I haven't carved anything from bone. I hear it smells with friction hey. I haven't ruled bone out as a carving material, but I think I would have to find some that came from an animal that died from natural causes .

As for not breathing in too much dust of any carving medium....I am pretty slack on the old safety gear. I do always wear eye protection, but it all becomes so cumbersome once you add some ear muffs and a face mask, and I just received an optivisor for Christmas, so that would be four things hanging off my head,lol. Ideally you would have an extraction fan to suck away all the dust....maybe one day.

:)/>/>

Edited by Amazonian

love the work very artistic, when it comes to carving im more of a gunner it's just i cant get the detail most stuff ends up looking like a

a sped made it out of playdo.(my failed atemped at sand stone ) is there any tips for beginners to use as in material so it not as easy to

fuck up i have a dremel and what not

• Like 1

is there any tips for beginners to use as in material so it not as easy to

fuck up i have a dremel and what not

My advice is to start off with a material that is easy to carve, (that gives a good result easily) and choose a simple design. Depends what you want to do really. I reckon sandstone would be great for some gargoyles on your front gate or similar, but i would start smaller...lol.. a lot smaller. Soapstone (talc stone) is super easy to carve and can be polished up. A lot of people start off with bone, like marrow bone. You could carve a simple fish hook , or semi spiral pendant?

This is a simple-ish bone carving i found on google..

post-7430-0-29481400-1356560187_thumb.jp

I am going to carve a jade shepherds whistle soon. I am not sure if it will work though,lol.

:)

bone carving from google images.jpg

bone carving from google images.jpg

• Like 3

im thinking of doing a chess set

^ i made a chess set from 30cm high bronze pieces, the board is 1.5 metre square so the thing is massive and made from various timbers, shame i couldnt afford to have the last of the pieces poured and no one wants to commission it at the moment :P they are fun to make though. if i can russle up a camera i might photograph a few of the pieces a bit later, otherwise i only have a progress shot of the enitre (very unfinished) table in a gallery space.

carving soap stone etc is okay, but please, wear a dusk mask. that is SUPER important. even more so if you carve hebel or something man made. and, if you're ever going to try a hard stone like granite or marble, dont use a regular chisel, it will snap and likely hit yo in the eye socket lol, buy heavy masons stone chisels, and be prepared to be super patient. marble carving is infuriating.

• Like 2

im thinking of doing a chess set

Woah !!!, a chess set , that's out of my league . Also it would be ongoing, and it would take a long time to complete (as I am sure you already know). What about different woods like Acacia or ebony etc...

i made a chess set from 30cm high bronze pieces

if you're ever going to try a hard stone like granite or marble, dont use a regular chisel, it will snap and likely hit yo in the eye socket lol, buy heavy masons stone chisels, and be prepared to be super patient. marble carving is infuriating.

I remember it was you Dionysus that made the chess set... Too clever :)

For carving small jobs using granite, diamond bits in the dremel work alright. And with the dust, if your cutting stone/glass, you really should be cutting it in or under dripping/running water. It helps lubricate the bit which not only makes the bits last a bit longer, but cuts down the dust. Messy though...imagine a disc spinning at 5000 rpm and hitting water , it's like a mini tidal wave throwing water everywhere...out side job for sure.

• Like 1

oh i forgot people use grinders and things these days, darn my classically inclined lecturers. above advice also solid for larger stone carvings using larger grinding discs etc :) ive actualy been meaning to do a few of the funner / smaller things, thats what got me back into this thread, some inspiration

also, in somewhat related news, i didn't attend a single class this year due to all this bullshit going on at my tafe, my course manager phoned me a week or 2 ago and asked what i had been up to throughout the year, i explained my bush party capers, evidenced the promotional and artistic work i had done and he credited me my outstanding units, i am now a diploma of vis arts guy, far better than the year 8 pass i had prior :P

• Like 2

so cool maz :)

craaaafty- i wouldnt shrug of your skills so easily!!!

you are a talented go getter!!!!

have u thought about getting into sculpture?

Edited by incognito
  • Like 1

have u thought about getting into sculpture?

I have sculptured an elf out of a product that is similar to plasticine. ?!

Sleeping Elf

you should make one of these

Hmm, yeah, doable, they need to be more like shrooms ?!

edit :)

Edited by Amazonian
  • Like 2

i reckon there would be a market for magic mushroom shaped dildos amongst the entheogenic community or did i just break every mushroom kudos rule there is.

if not ill buy 4.

• Like 4

So beautiful :wub:

Love the loph and the mushrooms!

Wow!

• Like 1

Hi Amazonian, Have you got any new treasures for us to celebrate?

That little elf is a darling, what nimble fingers you have :)

Have you ever thought about making a jade spinning top?

• Like 1

i reckon there would be a market for magic mushroom shaped dildos amongst the entheogenic community or did i just break every mushroom kudos rule there is.

if not ill buy 4.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/111196507/big-ol-s-shaped-mushroom-massager

http://www.etsy.com/listing/116680660/creamy-red-and-caramel-small-shroom-the?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/109339119/curved-s-shaped-red-mushrooms-massager?

and so many more.

If anyone buys one of them and wants to send pictures or a video of them in use, I certainly won't say no :P

• Like 2

the klipsta!

the first one obviously is a scissor action doll on doll slicer for the two headed simulinsta gratification

the second reminds me of a thing i can't remember but if i plug it into my memory bank it should come back a s +search result

the last one is a travel the seven seas lone ranger model

i'm quite proud of my collectors edition mushroom keyring from maz :)(it's actually the petal's keyring but still hey maz :P

post-4664-0-89316000-1357891170_thumb.jppost-4664-0-13628800-1357891195_thumb.jp

:wub:

preying mantis on cactus 016.jpg

preying mantis on cactus 018.jpg

preying mantis on cactus 016.jpg

preying mantis on cactus 018.jpg

Edited by etherealdrifter
  • Like 1

the klipsta!

the first one obviously is a scissor action doll on doll slicer for the two headed simulinsta gratification

the second reminds me of a thing i can't remember but if i plug it into my memory bank it should come back a s +search result

the last one is a travel the seven seas lone ranger model

i'm quite proud of my collectors edition mushroom keyring from maz :)(it's actually the petal's keyring but still hey maz :P

post-4664-0-89316000-1357891170_thumb.jppost-4664-0-13628800-1357891195_thumb.jp

:wub:

Gills and all, beautiful!

Spot on with the descriptions :P

OK...back om topic !!!! you scalawags. No more of that now :) :)

Hi Amazonian, Have you got any new treasures for us to celebrate?

Have you ever thought about making a jade spinning top?

I am having a brief rest at the moment bogfrog, but i have many ideas floating about in my head ... a jade shepherds whistle as i mentioned some posts ago, a magnifying jade glass, um, i was going to make master 14 a jade stretcher thing for his ear, but in his eyes it wont be cool,lol.

You could make a spinning top out of jade, and it would look lovely and work a treat i am sure, but if it spun off a table onto a hard floor, or clanged into something, it would most likely break. I reckon a faux ivory scrimshawed spinning top would be nice :)

• Like 2

Amaz, do you carve your own creations, as in the pictures in ur head?? I think all artists eventually go to that point, where the creation is coming from within. I don't know if that makes sense to nnyone but me??

• Like 1

I am creative, but need inspiration from outside my head,lol. Most of the stuff i make is like a copy from something i have seen...sadly, but it is still unique because it has been hand made, and no two pieces are exactly the same.

And by the way...i am no 'artist' ,lol. (i use to say to my mum i was an artist...and she would say "yeah...a bullshit artist"... lol *jokes)

[quote name="Amazonian" post="406962" timestamp="1358552830"

And by the way...i am no 'artist' ,lol.

I think many here would have a diffrring opinion? Artists is more a designation than a title, someone trained in the arts may not be recognised by the masses or even accepted as an artist. Within this community i think you are r'cognised as a creative artist. Are you sayin everyone is wrong????

• Like 1

Supply and demand maz, supply an demand!

(nothing wrong with making a lil profit )

;) I will act as agent if you want, I'll only take 10% :)

What a girly pair of hands eth! Never seen a day of work ;)

Edited by incognito

I recently did a carving for a dear friend of mine that took many many hours to get it right . I worked on it over 3 weeks, and must have spent about 30 hours on it. People don't realize the effort that goes into a carving. If i was to charge for my time ...i think i posted earlier...$10 an hour min... i would have to charge like $300 for a carving that took 30 hours. Then there is the material i used and the other supplies. Not many people would pay that,lol.

@ in_spirit... Yeah, i guess i am an artist, because i create art?!, but to me, the word 'Artist' sounds like someone great, like Michelangelo, Da Vinci, Van Gogh etc.. lol. :)

Speaking of Vincent Van Gogh, there was a song made about him by Don Mclean called Vincent/Starry Starry night. It is about how no body would recognize Vincents work, and he committed suicide.., then when he's dead, they see he was a great Artist...Theres a bit more to it than that. I really like the song.

• Like 1

You're not gonna do a vincent on us, are you? Didn't Van Gogh cut his ear off, i dont knowmuch about art and a lot of art i dont see as art. There was one guy in Rio i think it was, there isa giant landfill- dump and he got the workers to collect junk and he used it to compile pictures of the same workers, i am talking about people who literally have nothing. He took photos ofhis compilations and they were displayed in the art museum. He gave each person a photo of his work an it was like they were given gold. It was a simple plan but itworked an was great art because it had abig effect on people. I will find alink to some maybe

the story - i think

Edit to say yes this is it there is also youtube link in story so watch it if your interested.

http://www.madeinslant.com/2011/07/waste-land-documentary-about-life-in-the-world%E2%80%99s-largest-garbage-dump-in-brazil/

Edited by in_spirit