The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goldtop

Garden Intruder

Hello, im not 100% sure what but theres some filthy creature coming into my garden, eating random seedlings, knocking off grafts etc. I have reason to believe that its a cat, theres these dirty lookin furr balls in pots and through out the garden, as i said not exactly certain of what just wanna know of any good ways to keep creatures out/ away from my lovlies. Any tips would help us out thanks.

This bastards cleaned up many of my seedlings. There will be vengeance!

maybe it rats or possums

Why is this in bitches?

Cause whatever it is, its a bitch. I dunno mate can you think of a better place than the bitches n gripes. Seems like the most logical place to post a problem

I would have thought ethnobotany or chill. I thought bitches was more for "degenerated threads" and your thread seems to be of a good standard.(untill i started this hole wrong forum question anyway)

The lack of penis pictures/references to me indicates that this isnt bitch worthy.

I just though a gripe was a problem, i cant see how it doesnt belong among all the other problem related posts in the mix of the b n gs, I just want some advice on how to go about it. Is anyone gonna lose any sleep over it being here? We can get specific eat but does it really matter? :)

Sweating such a simple post, puts a good deal of dick reference into the thread. Therefore bitch worthy now

do you have a green house or anything? the only way I can think of stopping the problem is to have them locked away somewhere nothing but you can get to it

Nah jwert, just dug everything into a long garden bed along the side of the house, was thinking of a cat trap or something, but on second thought thats a bit sadistic :devil: keeps up tho it mite be my only option. Or maybe a dog or something to keep unwanted criddas out. Hoping someone else out there has had this problem and has resolved it. Anything i plant in the ground gets snagged!

It would be good to work out who/what the intruder is and deal with that creature specifically. You are going to have to do some spy work and look for silver trails or small droppings or little foot prints? Stay up late and catch it in the act?

or get a camera that only records when it sees motion

a cat trap would also be okay I guess but you might not even catch the right offender

Ill need to show some ninja skills if im spying amz, i dont think itll come round while im there. Ill be on the lookout for little shits and such tho, maybe give me a bit more insight of what im dealing with. For now ill start off with rat traps and see if i get lucky, i was hoping there was gonna be a simple solution. But ill just have to start cancelling out different animals.

Goldtop, I use the thinnest wooden skewers I can find at my local asian market, and stick them in my pots to act as a simple defence against my cat laying over my seedlings etc. For a couple of bucks you get a hundred or more.

Hi Goldtop, dont think it makes sense to give other Advice than to get or build yourself a greenhouse or closed garden. As i dont hope you wanna poison the cat/poss/neighbour, this would be the way to go. Here in germany, we have other pests like deers but theres pretty much nothing you can do apart from building fences or greenhouses to protect the plants. Imo, worst pests for cacti are snails and slugs anyway. Im sure most of your problems could be solved by building a nice solid wirefence.

Im not too psyched on building a barrier eg, i just put alot of work into making the garden look perfect and look the way i want it to be. Psylos got a good idea with the scewers, whatever it is will take a second guess after it gets pierced by one of them. Your right tho theres not much i can do, im hoping its rats but, a singular rat would be ideal, then it would just be a matter getting rid of this one nosy fella. But still down the track im sure theres gonna be more animals coming to investigate. If the problem persists and i cant overcome it ill have to fence off my area. For now tho ill try take this bastard on with full force, mite save me a bit of work :)

The skewers are more about a visual & physical barrier rather than an installation designed to hurt the animals. Place six (vertically) around the edge of a 200mm pot, and while an animal of any size could push through them, its unlikely that they will (well in the case of my retarded pussy anyway)

I guess i should have thought that you wouldnt be out to hurt your own cat!But I still like the idea of the scewers doing some damage, itll be like those electric dog collars in a way :devil:

The lack of penis pictures/references to me indicates that this isnt bitch worthy.

Sweating such a simple post, puts a good deal of dick reference into the thread.

Gold ! :lol:

I guess i should have thought that you wouldnt be out to hurt your own cat!But I still like the idea of the scewers doing some damage, itll be like those electric dog collars in a way :devil:

Come on man, you don't want to hurt your neighbour's cat, do you?

If you do, mount then horizontally & at 45degree angles, and use metal skewers.

No, wait, bad idea. Be nice.

The skewers are more about a visual & physical barrier rather than an installation designed to hurt the animals. Place six (vertically) around the edge of a 200mm pot, and while an animal of any size could push through them, its unlikely that they will (well in the case of my retarded pussy anyway)

Tried the same with my cat, no luck. The things didnt seem to slow the bastard down at all and i was using alot more then 6 per 200mm pot

Thats if it is a cat after all psylo, the cats are the only ones i dont wanna hurt, any other wild animals need to get schooled. If its a rat hes gonna be like jesus on the cross on one of my peruvianus's :crux: Nah im not that mean, but one way or another im gonna have to show some tough love

Goldtop, planting any mentha genus is supposed to be a deterrent to rodents.

Careful with that though, my mint has become a problem in itself, you just can't kill the bastard off.

Thats the help i needed man, and something which is the chemical opposite of catnip, or somthing :scratchhead: then ill be sweet all round. Ill be sure to plant it in a pot, ive got enough trouble with weeds poppin up all through the bed, last thing i need is being overrun by mint. Ill still get a few mouse traps 2moro though. Mite be an easy fix :)

Legend thanks psylo :) Ill be cat free and rat free. Theres truly a plant out there for everything!