The Corroboree
Torsten

New chat feature

okay, what happens is, if you leave the chat window/tab open then the shouts stick around, unless you hit the chat button as a way of refreshing. if you come into the room anew, you only get the last 20 messages.

i wish that weren't the case but it's not a big deal.

ahhh that makes sense TI

So the server still keeps the messages but they're effectively inaccessable to us if we've timed out after 10 mins.

hmm i'm not sure it would be a good thing to change it.

Edited by Distracted

i think its good like that. If people wanna chat its not hard to keep a window open with chat in it.

I understand what you mean as some times 1 convo can be spaced out over the whole day with people replying slowly but still i think its better if people arent actively chatting then only the last 20 msgs are available.

hey chnt what time is it

• Like 1

OK, I've got this all wrong.

Chat archive is kept for 24h, which only I [and possibly mods] have access to.

Content in the chat window is limited to 20 posts at the moment. This seemed plenty when there was almost no activity, but now 20 is barely enough to make sense of the current conversation. I am setting it to 40 and may increase if needed. There is only 20 posts per page, so I think you will need to find a second page link somewhere to see the older ones.

We've noticed that you've been inactive for over 10 minute(s).

We've stopped running the Shoutbox due to your inactivity.

If you are back again, please click the I'm Back button below.

spyware eh?

can't even read the damn forums for 10 minutes without Shoutbox getting its panties in a wad?

:P

• Like 1

Dont know about other chat pages, but does anyone else think that the design is a inconvenient to have new messges posted at the top, but needing to scroll down to the text cell to post ? It woul make more sense to have new entries fed at the bottom, and feeding u the page.

• Like 1

OK, I've got this all wrong.

Chat archive is kept for 24h, which only I [and possibly mods] have access to.

Content in the chat window is limited to 20 posts at the moment. This seemed plenty when there was almost no activity, but now 20 is barely enough to make sense of the current conversation. I am setting it to 40 and may increase if needed. There is only 20 posts per page, so I think you will need to find a second page link somewhere to see the older ones.

page 2?

for me it is still 20 post cut off and there is no page 2.

and the time is 3.32pm bulls

edit: now it's 3.33pm

Edited by chnt

Has any one else had a problem with using chat on there mobile phone? Because I can view it but cannot shout. Is there a reason for it oh and also when I use the phone version of the forum there is no chat feature

Has any one else had a problem with using chat on there mobile phone? Because I can view it but cannot shout. Is there a reason for it oh and also when I use the phone version of the forum there is no chat feature

What phone?

Mobile styles are minimalist & they remove a lot of the heavy features like the chat box.

Samsung galaxy s2 I can even click shout but it just doesn't send it

If you go to "My Prefs" (Three buttons to the right of "Shout") there is an option "Enter Key Acts As 'Shout' Button?". Mine is default to "yes" anyway, but if it's not on yours, then that's how to change it.

this still doesn't work and I don't like using the tab method as it takes the cursor of the page any fix available for this???

^ I downloaded a keyboard software thing for my Samsung phone and was able to 'shout' but not scroll and still had no functions in the full chat feature. So going by that little test , I would say its to do with the phones generic keyboard maybe. ?!

:)

hmm possible but i have a Samsung phone and a asus tablet both use different keyboards and it still doesn't work :( ive also tried different software on my Samsung

on my PC keyboard, I need to press shift before pressing enter

Dont know about other chat pages, but does anyone else think that the design is a inconvenient to have new messges posted at the top, but needing to scroll down to the text cell to post ? It woul make more sense to have new entries fed at the bottom, and feeding u the page.

Agreed. This inverse scrolling design feature/flaw is the single most annoying thing about this chat. I can't imagine why the designers broke convention like that.

Torsten, is there a config option to change this?

• Like 1

check if this is better please.

^ Checked... Better format. Thanks Torsten.

:)

much better.

Is anyone else having trouble with their 'Enter' button not shouting when the option to do so enabled? I'm using the Chrome browser on Ubuntu 12.04

• Like 1

much better.

Is anyone else having trouble with their 'Enter' button not shouting when the option to do so enabled? I'm using the Chrome browser on Ubuntu 12.04

Yep I think it happens with everyone

I don't understand what's different and have never had any problem?

Maybe it's cause i'm using firefox B)

• Like 1

Hey T this isn't really a huge issue but I was just wondering if in the next site update or if there is an option for the chat feature to have a sound played to notify you when a shout has been made? as whenever I am on the chat I will usually browsing the forum or on other sites and its hard to know when someone has replied...

Also the four buttons at the bottom of the shout-box do not display what they are for

Thanks

would guess that the feature you ask for would only work up until the point that your browser and the chat feature have decided they are no longer keeping in touch with each other, until you return to the chat tab and say "lets see what's happening here".

this interaction could be more accurately described thus:

dark box: dark box?

jwerta: affirmative dark box. i click you. "dark box" it is.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

surly it would be possible like when I play online poker or talk on Skype it gives me a notification that its my turn or someone has replied to my message...

Edited by jwerta

the shoutbox is what it is, once you have "timed out" eg gone, maybe, 5 minutes without interacting with the shoutbox, your browser and the shoutbox stop diddling each others' bits. therefore, new shouts no longer have any effect at your end, until you return to the shoutbox tab and press refresh, or respond to the query of dark box with a resounding click upon dark box eg resume diddling.

edit. possessive apostrophe, plural.

Edited by ThunderIdeal