The Corroboree
kindness

Raising A.Phlebophylla

beautiful pd! :worship:

im so stoked to see this plant in cultivation :wub:

• Like 1

great plant and thread.

hope to get some going this year

Spring growth has been generous to the phleb.I expect alot of growth come summer.I've been watering more liberally since PD suggested to do so.So far so good.

post-230-127705722401_thumb.jpg

Edited by spunwhirllin
  • Like 1

Nice spun,

How old is this one?

The method mentioned of scraping off the seed coating after soaking for a while has worked for me and I now have three lil seedlings who have popped up. I also covered the top of the container w/ glad wrap to keep a bit more heat n humidity going in there for them.

If I remember to I will post up some pic's of them.

Here is my method works really good for melb, thanks to PD for some valuable info. eg Phlebs naturally germinate in Autumn, so put your seeds down late summer / early Autumn should be best. I put some of the other seeds I got about a month ago so I will see how they go.

This worked for me

1. Soak the seeds in just boiled water for 2-3 hours.

2. Plant all the seeds in a good seed raising mix I didnt use any sand or stone. Put in a shade house not in full sun

3. Let mother nature do the rest dont worry if the seed raising mix drys out they will still germinate. Water when u remeber too

I have had 5 out of 5 come up even the dodgy looking seed I planted came up fine just a late germer.

I will post some pics soon :)

Edited by sharxx101

@ meanies - Heat and humidity doesnt seem to be a requirement for germ, in fact from the times i have tried it the heat and humidity has been more of a problem than a help. If it works for you though be sure to let us know.

• Like 1

hey pd... letting you know that when the temps in my area over winter and early autumn start to drop and shit the seeds like to have had there seed coating removed via earlier mentioned technique and then placed in a pot that has had the soil soaked, then covered with cling wrap. It would seem that humidity and heat pop them up in late autumn, early winter...

I will post photos if someone hassles me at some stage.

Yay to the advice and help here on the corrob'. We all rock and are helping preserve an endangered, endemic species! wooo hooo

pat yourselves on the back Sabbers that are growning this plant :)

peace

sweet, the difference is i did not remove the seed coat when i tried with some heat and humidity. Seems the only obstacle to their growth is the hard seed coat and time. I have a tray of seeds/seedlings that is exposed to the elements, this helps remove the seed coat somewhat and they pop up at random intervals. Good for the lazee gardener :)

Now that i know that the seed doesnt mind drying out at all before germination I am thinking of treating some seed and broadcasting around a local granite mountain, it may take some time for the seed to do its thing but they are tough lil seeds for sure and im sure lots would germinate.

• Like 1

You reckon that introducing different species into areas they don't normally grow is okay?

I have seen acacias around here that look similar to Acacia Phlebophylla, even the growing conditions are similar... granite country, occasional snow.. etc but because I frequent the area and have a connection with it I wouldn't consider introducing foreign species to it.. it's just too special.

I guess it depends on what your local mountain is like though.. it might be suffering from being fcuked over by people and needs a bit of help on the re-foresting side of things? then hell yeah, as if you wouldn't pump some phleb seed out there!

i guess the point of my post was just to disagree but still love you anyway pd lol and show that it's okay not to agree with every post that someone makes without it deteriorating into a massive shit fight as it has lately here at the corrob'

peace and birthday love lol

mz

You reckon that introducing different species into areas they don't normally grow is okay?

Hehe, got me there :P

In general no, the area i have in mind was actually picked out by a local botanist who knows the area very well, not that that makes it any more right but i dont think a feral phleb population in a very small area would get out of control too easily ;)

agreed. :) just had to be a smart arse about it :P imagine if phlebs got away from us and become the next acacia melanoxylon lol

Please excuse the crap photos... I've got a shite camera but it does give you a general idea of how my little guys are going :)

I really should have kept the seeds in individual containers though as now I'm going to have to separate them come springtime. I guess that should be alright though as I am planning on popping em straight into the ground then.

post-3725-127786939717_thumb.jpg

post-3725-127786943694_thumb.jpg

Hey meanies they look good, but when you introduce them to wind and other elements they might not be so good. I have a saying here and it is survival of the fittest, I know I may lose a few plants but I want plants with strong genetics eg narrow khat seedling I had 50 only 4 survived but atleast I know they are tough.

Just a bit of advise from the shark :)

• Like 1

meanies, dude those photos are really reeeeally bad lol. the actual quality of the camera doesnt seem that bad, just the composition of the photo and its size. you'd be able to see your babies really well if you take back the plastic covering as thats all most of the photo seems to be.

have another crack at it, we want to see these beautiful plants!

oh, and something like a coke can or lighter or something would be good for size reference too ;)

hehe roflmao, yeah, those photo's do suck :P

criticism accepted... I suppose I could have taken a picture of the plants rather than the glad wrap...

@sharkman, yep, noted - thing is it's the middle of winter here and we are getting down to -3.5 <brrrr it's freaking cold> and these puppies are outside :) so I'm pretty confident that I'm not pampering them... I will harden them off late winter / early spring, this will include their journey to meet real ground where they will stay.

will post some photo's later when I get a minute

Edited by meanies
  • Like 1

Okay, so I put some effort in.. even worked out where the whitebalance control is on my camera (well I think that is what it is...) here are some photos:

post-3725-127811503293_thumb.jpg

post-3725-12781150883_thumb.jpg

post-3725-127811512109_thumb.jpg

post-3725-127811517777_thumb.jpg

post-3725-127811521817_thumb.jpg

post-3725-12781154044_thumb.jpg

and just for you Mu!

post-3725-12781149886_thumb.jpg

No probs meanies just a little advice from a fellow seed grower. Keep up the good work!

I will also post pics soon :)

further notes:

Several more seedlings have appeared since last post. I didn't take the seed covering off these ones... I had, (as with all the ones in this pot) soaked em overnight in boiling water and planted them.

The plastic over the pot idea which created a humid environment was good for popping them up quickly but I think if done well would require more pampering than I am really willing to impart to the lil ladies. As in I think it would take hardening them off at a much slower rate than I did. So what happened was the soil dried out too quickly in the pot and those early risers died - well one might be hanging on but the others are goners.

That said - I just left the plastic off after that and more have come up and are doing well. They seem to have a fairly picky want of the right amount of moisture in the soil? anyone else find this?

You were definately on the money with not pampering sharx.

peace

still having trouble raising these seed :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2: I think I may need to do some penance for wastage of Phleb seed!!! Shit. The ones that came up at the end of winter early spring are all dead... they just didn't seem to like being watered or dry? farout...

So in speaking with my local nursery, (who I also gave some seed to in the hope they can get em growing well) I am going to try getting em going by only bottom watering and whatever they get from the sky. So far one is up and looking happy... but I've seen that before!

Anyone else get seeds up but lose them after the first set of true leaves? Anyone else have trouble keeping the right amount of water to them?

Currently they are in full sun - perhaps as was suggested in this thread I should have them in part shade? Although AFAIK in their natural habitat they grow in a very exposed spot...

help :(

I'm willing to give these a shot if anyone knows where to track down seed. Willing to pay money.

I tried taking some cuttings from a phleb in the national botanic gardens, but the leaves all got this weird white mould. It seems everything I try to grow in my dorm room ends up either not doing anything, or getting attacked by some sort of pathogen LOL.

Going there to grab some more and will report back.

if anyone has seed spare of this or A. obtusifolia i would be interested in a trade/sale :lol:

although from the sounds of it I will have my work cut out growing this one.

i recently germed some otusifolia seeds again, and i think that scraping the seed coat with sandpaper avoids the seed coat from sticking to the cotyledon.

phlebo and otusi seeds stay viable for quite a long time (more than 5 years and more) even if not stored well!!

• Like 1

I've recently planted some phleb and obtus seeds, first soaking for 2-3 hrs in near boiling water then lightly covering

them in a loose sandy mix and some in a good quality potting mix. They're all in direct light except for early morning and late afternoon.

I didn't nick or sandpaper as one looked as if it was trying to open already, that one did not get the boiling water.

I'm hopeful, there's been plenty of natural rain with sun inbetween so haven't had to water much at all.

Had a good read through this post, there are some great tips. If I get edgy I might uncover a seed to remove

the outer coat or at least check on progress.

Would be interesting to know plant and myco associations, the photo's helped but more research as well me thinks.

Got 12 seeds sitting in just boiled water at the moment. Had to put them in the hot water as the pods and some of the seeds had white mould from being in a sealed bag. Going to plant in potting mix along with a few scoops of soil from under a Delonix regia. No idea if this will do anything, but it's the only legume accessible at the moment.

Will update with how they go!