The Corroboree
rigger

Smoking alternatives

Hey I would appreciate any ideas for smoking alternatives.

Reason being I want to take a bit of a break from weed. I know I can do it quite easily by substituting tobacco but the problem for me is that rather than smoke two joints on an average day I will smoke 5+ cigarettes instead. So I am wondering, is there good herbs to smoke just to ease into my first few days? It don't need to get me high ( would be a bonus though!) but just something to make me think I have had a smoke and doesn't taste terrible!

I also find it hard to get any good information on the safety of many alternatives also. I understand smoking anything isn't going to be great for lungs and throat etc. but even though I will probably only use it short term it would be great to hear from someone who has some knowledge on any alternatives available.

Thanks!

Edited by rigger

Ive read at least a dozen threads on this forum about alt smoking substances. So there is likely 200+

See what you can find with the search engine or check out the "i cant believe its not" range from SAB

Have you tried smoking WHEAT?

tumblr_mn5yntvVCP1r1zfxwo1_500.jpg

Sorry I'm not being helpful am I LOL

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 4

try yerba mate dude. not smoking it but drinking it. doesn't taste the best but if you add some honey to the water it helps.

gives you a nice little buzz and has a similar prosses/ritual to rolling or packing up which itself can be addictive.

Thanks, yerba mate sounds interesting and seems to have some unique benefits also. Maybe I could try and grow a plant also.

Wheat might be a bit much, looks like it makes you skip leg day in the gym also!

Prolonged us of Yerba Mate has been associated with liver damage; Google: "yerba mate, hazards" and other herbs below.

Consider trying / blending damiana,(the psychoactive form of damiana is Turnera aphrodisiaca, not the cheaper Turnera diffusa) or passionflower, pink lotus (actually sacred lily) etc. from

xtremeherbs.com

herbalistics.com.au

herbcottage.com.au

Edited by CLICKHEREx

I got a herbal smoking blend from happy high herbs ages ago that was called 'magic mull mix' and it wasn't too bad to smoke. I can't remember exactly what was in it though

I never found anything that compensated for ganj. Every time I tried something of be like "this is not ganj" and crave the real thing. Only thing I could do was break ties with my smokin buddies, and cold turkey it. It ain't easy but if u wanna quit bad enough it's doable.

Weed is easy to beat! You dont need a substitute, just do it man!!!

Ps, weed rules!

• Like 3

Some good ideas guys, thanks. Just want something more to replace the habit short term that isn't tobacco because I end up smoking that way too much! After a few weeks I can kick the replacement but with tobacco I can have trouble.

Im not necessarily going to quit for good but just a break. I also enjoy making it into butter and cooking which is healthier.

I think quitting is different for everybody. I smoked every day for 16 years and quit for 3 months last year. First 2 weeks I had flu like symptoms, no energy and hardly slept. for 4 weeks I coughed like crazy every morning upon waking. I think it took at least a month and a half before I felt as good as when I smoked!

But I agree that for relatively short term smokers it is easy to quit compared with some other drugs. But as the years add up it can give withdrawal symptoms. Depending on your job you may even need to take time off to do it. Just thought id throw that out there in case it's helpful for anyone.

Edited by rigger

I didn't find it easy to beat at all, I've a very addictive nature, but got to a point where I REALLY wanted to, so much so I stopped talking to my stoner friends (pretty shitty I know) and deleted my dealers numbers. I do have the odd smoke, I've had a gram this year, I thought I'd stay an occasional smoker but one cone feels like about 80 cones now and I'm just blasted as fuk, a full on trip, which is cool :) can't say I'm any smarter or any less forgetful for it though!

I really want to take up being a stoner when I'm much older. Being a stoner with a big ass veggie Gardner would be the ultimate way to spend my retirement (at 70 :(

Have u tried kava for ur cravings? That's something u should look into, and what I'd used successfully in previous short lives breaks from the erb.

Don't get me wrong, I LoVE the erb'! Just got over being a nervous wreck when swab tests came around at work, since giving up it's just something I don't think about doing, the expense, the absolute fuckaround that goes with scoring unless u have a fantastic well supplied dealer. Looking back I seriously have no idea how I afforded it! I'd get a quart every 3,4 days, wish I could wave a magic wand and get back all the cash I spent on weed!!

valium,? opium?, booze?, kava extract 20x,? weed,, UMMMMM just stop???? go for a walk, root ya misso?, wank??, eat, nicabate gum?, go to work and dont stop for smoko get home and run like a freak til ya fucked then scull 6 beers go to bed??

Edited by bullit
  • Like 4

Hey Incog, I can relate it was hard for me to stop the first time (I guess that's why it took so 16 years!). I noticed like you after quitting for a few months it smashed me hard lol! When I had some of my cooking it was close to an acid trip without as much visuals!

I agree, stopping won't improve much other than a bit of tolerance and some lung heath which is all im after. Then back on it most likely.

After trying Kava in Vanuatu I never had success with any other preparations. I went to a few Kava bars there but one really seedy shed in the middle of nowhere got me pretty smashed! It was a pretty different high to anything else I tried and would love to get on it again.

Oh yeah.. I don't know if I could ever pay or go through the fuck around or scoring it.

Edited by rigger

Prolonged us of Yerba Mate has been associated with liver damage

In one study, from 1976. Drinking a minimum of 2 liters daily for a number of years, not taking into account any of the other strains on the liver.

It has been associated with throat and esophagus cancer, but so has drinking any liquid at near-boiling temperatures.

Mate is great in moderation, and at normal temperatures. The health benefits outweigh the potential risks.

• Like 2

Maybe instead of quitting outright, just save it for special occasions. That way you will know it's a choice rather than a binge etc.

:)

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1

When it was legal I found kilns instant kava concentrate the bomb for mj cravings :)

Again quitting anything I believe is only possible when you really really really really really REALLY wanna quit seriously and solemnly.

Yeah couldn't agree more incog. Im ready for a bit of a beak so the last 3 days haven't been too bad but just the habit of smoking something remains for about a week or two with me. This is why I was seeking alternatives that doesn't spiral out of control like cigs.

Hey thanks for all the suggestions guys!

One thing though, Bulit, im 34 mate I own my own business not some clueless kid on his first addiction. what you posted came across to me as patronizing

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

One thing though, Bulit, im 34 mate I own my own business not some clueless kid on his first addiction. bullshit like yours is patronizing. Yeah talking about wanking might be funny after 3 nights sleep dep. but the purpose of the thread wasn't to give you an opening to impress your school mates or your first missus.

i have been clean from dope for 12 or so years now.[now im 17 years old lol] i did name a bunch of stuff not just wanking. wanking cures everything for 2 minutes :wink:

its about beening busy when ya feel like a bong . ask ya misso for sum play/walk the dog/ eat a hot chook .

i did say kava extract ???

Edited by bullit

Hang in there bud, maybe try occupy yourself in the arvos with something u love, gardening etc maybes find a new hobby? Exercise, the gym ?? Sleeping I found hardest but was also when I started looking into meditation, learning how to calm yourself naturally. I got into meditation and crystals (to aid meditation) through wanting to give up the erb, which had been a blessing.

3 days man ur doing well, I reckon through my own and friends experience e once you hit the two week mark your laughing.

I say give urself a lot of credit, what ur doing takes guts and determination. Takes a mature person to know when his habits are becoming problematic and strength to do something about it. Your already winning :)

Try at least a nightly walk before bed and drink plenty of h20, read some inspirational stuff (I read eckhart tolle at the time)

And kinda sidestep ur stoner mates, if they are true mates they will understand and be there at the end.

• Like 1

Bulit yeah I know, I edited cause it was a bit harsh. What Im saying is I have quit daily use of a number of drugs so I understand the idea behind keeping myself busy. And I felt like you were takin the piss a bit. Anyway I sort of gave it back and you can take it so top stuff! I can appreciate that. I have obviously misjudged you.

Incog. thanks man. Yeah ill be right. Your right about habits being problematic.

This is nothing compared to other things ive done but it still gets out of control. I got back on it every weekend last year. Then every day. Then everytime a show I like comes on! But yeah been keeping busy, Smashin gym and heavy bag. Going for runs then a swim in the Murray river (getting a bit cold now) Been reading more cause I don't keep reading the same line over and over! (sort of a joke, sort of not!)

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

Ah the green heroin, shes got real claws hasn't she! Goodluck pal, id go with the kava but I'm not full qualified to give advice myself yet if you get my drift... But it does help, although is quite habitual in it's own right and I could see it being very "escape landscape" if you had a good enough supply so please be careful.

Edited by prioritise

I always found kava to foul tasting to get hooked

• Like 1