The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Change

Ouija Boards

This week ive been revisiting my love for The Mars Volta.

Id always knew they played around with an Ouija Board when creating The Bedlam in Goliath.

On a trip in Jerusalem, Rodriguez-Lopez purchased an archaic ouija-type talking board at a curio shop as a gift for Bixler-Zavala. They would return to their tour bus after shows to play with it during their 2006 tour with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, as it quickly became the band's post-show ritual.[5] Dubbed "The Soothsayer", the board revealed stories, gave names and made demands, as the band was contacted by three different people who appeared in the form of one, who was then referred to as "Goliath". The more the band interacted with "The Soothsayer", otherworldly coincidences began plaguing the band's experience writing and recording The Bedlam in Goliath: Blake Fleming, their drummer at the time, quit mid-tour and left the band with financial troubles; Bixler-Zavala wound up needing surgery performed on his foot due to the shoes he had been wearing, forcing him to relearn how to walk post-surgery;[5] audio tracks sporadically disappeared from the studio's harddrives; Rodriguez-Lopez's home studio flooded and was subject to multiple power outages; and the album's original engineer went through a nervous breakdown, leaving behind all previous work with no notes as to where anything was.[6] The engineer who quit stated to Rodriguez-Lopez: "I'm not going to help you make this record. You're trying to do something very bad with this record, you're trying to make me crazy and you're trying to make people crazy."[7]

Rodriguez-Lopez was on the brink of starting the recording from scratch, but eventually kept on after recruiting Robert Carranza as a replacement engineer, along with assistance from Lars Stalfors and Isaiah Abolin. Midway through the recording sessions, Rodriguez-Lopez broke "The Soothsayer" in half and buried it in an undisclosed location as an attempt to undo the curse and halt the unforeseen tragedies. Rodriguez-Lopez swore never to give away the location of the burial, and also asked the band not to speak of it again during the remainder of the album's production.[5]

The song "Soothsayer" contains field recordings that Omar recorded in Jerusalem. The recordings are a mixture from the Jewish quarter, the Muslim Quarter and the Christian Quarter.

Here's abit more reading on the topic if your interested http://www.jeremyrobertjohnson.com/TMVDIB.pdf

Id love to know if any members here have played around with Ouija boards ?

Why do they always seams to result in evil rather then positive spirits ?

Maybe its got something to do with who made the Ouija board, materials it was made from, or it could be intent it was created with.

Has anyone tried making one?

Enough questions...... let the Ouija Board discussion begin....

• Like 1

i brought a really cool skull and bones one from a shop on the gold coast. never really played around with it though. it was more of a thing to look at on the coffee table. ages ago we used to just scribble letters on a piece of paper and use a shot glass, most of the time i was pissing myself laughing to much to take it to seriously.

We mucked around with a home made ouija board as kids. My friend and I were like 14 and didn't really have a clue. There were times the glass would move with our finger tips on it, but I think my friend was responsible, though she always denied it. One night after we had tried summon spirits, we went into my bedroom and sat on the bed, and all of a sudden hands came from under the bed and grabbed our ankles, and it scared the absolute crap out if us... my mum was hiding under the bed, lol. It was pretty funny later, but at the time i thought my friend was going to have a heart attack. Gosh we use to love being scared, it really got the adrenalin pumping.

• Like 7

maybe cause Ouija attracts alot of amateurs in an occult world mostly geared towards manipulation

as opposed to understanding and respect...

to perceive them as evil is just that... its a perception....

perhaps its more like a warning to folks who don't

have any training in respect to how to properly enter and utilize those mental states....

or... maybe its just all about the expectations of the kid seeking the experience :P

whose to say the haunted are not the ones who need to work on their own 'evil" eh?

maybe when ppl go through crazy shit, its cause they deserve it...

or how bout, its because they may require such an experience in order to earn their respect

or send them running to the hills lol

not that I know I just sorta think one must consider walking in the shoes of the blob of energy whose boundaries have been pushed

who might be communicating "don't wake me up unless its important bitch" hahah

frankly, I think what you read, may have been more about selling records...

Edited by Spine Collector

We had a séance for shits and giggles one time when I was a teenager. There were about 10 of us at the house and 8 people crowded around the table where we'd made an ad hoc Ouija board. A few people were seriously weirded out about it and didn't want to play. We all called it a "wiji" board at that time & I didn't hear the real name for about another 5 years.

We had an upturned glass as a pointer and letters written on pieces of paper like Quarterflesh mentioned.

Anyway the glass starts moving and the girls started getting freaked out and really started playing it up. It made a few words and sentences etc. and I was starting to think it was all a crock of shit and the girls were steering the glass where they wanted it to go. I called them on it and said it was all bullshit and they were moving the glass.

Someone suggested blindfolds, so a few minutes later everyone at the table was sitting there with tea towels and tea shirts and other improvised blindfolds. So then the game began again. I voted myself in as the one to sit there without a blindfold and write the letters down as the glass moved towards it.

Then it started moving and it spelled out "murder" so we asked it for a name and it spelled out a girls name (can't remember the name now it was nearly 30 years ago). I thought it was just the girls cheating and looking under their blindfolds so I did an inspection of their blindfolds and then moved a few letters around into different positions and we tried again.

We kept getting the same message "murder" sometimes spelled wrong with the a few letters mixed up like mudrer etc. and the girls name also sometimes spelled wrong.

I still didn't believe it, I was convinced someone was cheating and steering the glass, so I picked the glass up and took it out and threw it on the road. The glass bounced back up and nearly hit me in the face. So I tried again and bounced again. Then another bloke tried and it took him 3 tries before it broke - I've never seen anything like it.

A few hours later the girl who lived theres Mum came home and we told her what had happened. She told us that a little girl had died there about thirty years previous. She had drowned in the bath.

A lot of people were seriously freaked out by it all but I was never convinced, they could have been fucking with our heads for all I know. They certainly had the opportunity to collude and stage the whole show.

I can't work out WTF was going on with the glass though.

Edited by SallyD
  • Like 4

frankly, I think what you read, may have been more about selling records...

Your probably right about that one.

The more i think about the mystery the more obsessed i become with the album.... and the more people i tell about it.

Im a walking talking Mars Volta add, i just cant stop thinking about the Soothsayer

Shit SallyD that girl must have been murdered, but it must have been reported as accidental death. Did you try and find out any details about the girls death after your (edit, sorry) friends Mum mentioned it?

Edited by Leaves
  • Like 1

^^ also very interested in SallyD's reply

If an Ouija Board told me someone was murdered id wanna know if it were true or bullshit

.... things would get pretty freaky if it were true.

Maybe the girl is hanging around in spirit form trying to get some justice for the wrong that was done to her... or

Maybe someone was messing around with the results of the board in an attempt to freak you out.....

Well my dear young friend, of course big bad col cut his teeth on ouija boards.

Maybe I should keep the story for next time we are around the campfire.

When we were just on the cusp of puberty we were adepts at calling up the dead.

Yeah, home made boards work the best.

And of course growing up next to the biggest cemetery in the southern hemisphere, where we knew where all the open tombs were,

it is only a natural evolution we would do it in open tombs.

I reckon Ive only just shaken off some of the entities we must have picked up.

But I think it all helped me attract my skull collection.

I just used to do it with one friend, it wouldn't often work if we had guests,who would giggle and have no respect.

We would have sleepovers, and buy packets of smarties.

We would eat the smarties and set the boxes upright.

Then have our seance, we would ask the spirits to prove they were there,by knocking over the smarties.

We just took it for granted, until once the glass went flying off the table,it finally scared the fuck out of me, and we never did it since.

I often wonder about it, I think our pre puberty power had a lot to do with it...somehow.

The board is really a psycho theatre prop that helps you by pass the ego, and tap into your own psychic energies

Once years later,I was sitting around stoned,and there was a box similar to the smarties,I thought I will try knock it over.

It fell over,and me and the other guy in the room both jumped up exclaiming.I just knocked that over !!!

There was no collusion,just one of those things.

Last I heard, the original guy I did it with is in Jail for manslaughter. Threw a guy out of a hi rise building.

You still couldnt pay me enough to have a seance in my house, even though I work with skulls all the time.

I must say I like Sally's story,blindfolds is a great idea.

• Like 2

and what do you do with these skulls? im intrigued.

Shit SallyD that girl must have been murdered, but it must have been reported as accidental death. Did you try and find out any details about the girls death after your Mum mentioned it?

Woops, I just liked your post instead of clicking the quote button.

No I never looked into it, but one girl that was there said her mum had verified it too - just second hand hearsay.

& also it wasn't my mum it was the mother of the girl that lived in the house.

Thats a big question to answer.

And I dont want to railroad Change's thread.

Lets just say they are meditation aids.

The Tibetans used them to remind them to have a good karma at the time of death.

Also to be skilled in meditation so when the hit the Bardo realm,they wont be too freaked out ,and jump into the first reincarnation option available,

they will navigate into the optimum incarnation, ie, somebody who is going to be a Tibetan monk again.

This guy was a big shaman,and a skullmaster himself, and I have no problems sleeping with him in my room

Massive amounts of good energy as his Karma is still imprinted into the DNA of that bone.

post-337-0-22921100-1378114510_thumb.jpg

Now lets get back to seance stories

• Like 3

I often wonder about it, I think our pre puberty power had a lot to do with it...somehow.

Interesting that you mention that, Poltergeists (which are believed by some to attach themselves to certain people) are often said to be associated with people around that age - particularly girls for some reason.

Some people believe that Poltergeists don't exist & the outward symptoms are just a product of the adolescent mind.

Poltergeists have been the topic of intrigue and debate for a long time.

• Like 1

Spooky col!

I would walk 5ks around an oija board- something's I just don't wanna know about.

I thought you might have a few good stories Colhawk

I live close to a cemetery aswell, id never thought about it much until this week

Its quite small but it dates back to 1830, i wonder how friendly the spirits would be if i tried to make contact....

Id feel alot safer with Roopey the powerful shaman by my side :)

But seeing as he left the country ill be waiting for volunteers

• Like 1

Cya there change, all this talkin with you and colhawk has me needing to experience the spirits that once were

Ps; Col I still want the full story next fire mate

Edited by thed00dabides
  • Like 2

Bump

Any Sabsters been playing with Ouija Boards recently ?

I love that mars volta story.

the interesting thing about these boards is although you and other participants are convinced that your mind is not consciously pushing the object it is - or at least it relies on your eyes to go to the right spots.

The experiment - set one up, blind fold the participants, let them go for a while, then turn the board upside down or around the other way. The blindfolded participants will (time and time again) keep moving to the letters and yes/no locations they saw when they were not blind folded. Even though they will be convinced they are not controlling the glass/shot glass what ever.

• Like 1

Pls dont however think this means i am a sceptic about weird people that walk around but are invisible. Ive had an experience that ive posted about in the past. haunted houses are scary!

Hi Greenie, yeah that experiment immediately convinced me it's a subconscious reaction of the muscles. Still, funny shit. Took an ouija board to dates sometimes. :)

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1

Took an ouija board to dates sometimes. :)

How did that go EG, did it scare their pants off ?

• Like 1