The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Thelema

IMPORTING ALCOHOL

Does anyone know about importing alcohol into australia for personal use? i'd be importing bottles of spirits (from 2-a dozen) from mexico.

cant find any info on the customs site restricting or banning it etc...

all i know is when you bring alcohol in, the tax you pay is worked out by the alcohol percentage, at what rate i dont remember sorry.

call your local customs office at the airport, they will tell you what the rate is,

this reference is from bringing alcohol in via commercial flights, i would'nt think the importing taxes would vary much in a frieght scenario

People import alcoholic spirits all the time.

The following rates of excise apply:

Excise

Normally customs doesn't charge for a customs fee under $50.

I've personally imported tobacco a few times and not had to pay fees due to small amounts, so I'm sure alcohol is the same.

Ok, it goes something like this, You can bring in a small personal ammount tax and duty free (I think this only applies if you are with it) You are allowed to import the equivelant of 100 lts of wine, so about 15 lts of spirit without an import license (as long as you can satisfy customs that it isn't for sale in australia ie personal use. This is subject to tax and duty, over that you need a license $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I think anyway