The Corroboree
spacemonkey

got a new loph can get a specific id?

Question

hey!! just added this new sexy loph to the family. i wanted something pretty to look at so i splurged and got myself a present.

can i get a id?

http://postimg.org/gallery/1a55s67t6/8cbad91b/

i am posting to another topic about crystals for trade so there are some crystal pics in the album ignore them...or dont.

15 answers to this question

Lophophora williamsii of some type...

• Like 2

cheers! i was 90%sure it a was williamsii

be careful with that soil mix mate everyone does it differently but that looks a little to organic for my liking

beautiful plant though mate :)

• Like 1

i'l be re-potting it soon. i plan on sowing out some seeds soon and i want to make a nice mix for them that i will use before i put it in a nice pot for the rest of its (hopefully) long life.

yeh i would like to also make note that crystals only look cool that is ALL i think they do

a bit of off topic but worth a share...but don't underestimate the power some minerals/rocks have...

lol...not gunna go all new age - but a left of centre example....but I know of an instance of an elderly prospector that had an awesome collection of mineral specimens....which he had in a tray on wheels under his bed.his really prized ones....mostly for security.

He had a fantastic collection of radioactive minerals of which he wasnt aware to the full extent....and through prolonged exposure whilst sleeping gave himself a decent case of radiation sickness.....

EDIT -will note his bed was a "camp bed" in a humpy style set-up , not a full mattress job...so less protection

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 4

Wow thats pretty crazy WB

Edited by myco
  • Like 1

Hmm... how about adding some radioactive minerals to Loph soil, what might happen?

itcamefromthedesert03.jpg

• Like 1

sorry, the OP plant is not a williamsii

It looks like a fricii to me kinda. Also like williamsii. I suck at IDing these without flowers though.

yeh i would like to also make note that crystals only look cool that is ALL i think they do

Quartz crystals do alot more than looking ashteticaly shithouse...

Edited by wert
  • Like 1

It should be easy to tell when it flowers (or if impatient you can test that with tlc using a tiny sample of flesh).

L. williamsii can look like that with age but so can fricii. I'd lean more towards fricii myself but if it is a williamsii it is most likely the western form referred to as williamsii echinata.

• Like 2

KT, if you read this again anytime soon, what makes you think fricii? the only plants of that species i have seen that look like this are a white flowered variety (albiflora?) and, with my more limited research, i had always thought a plant with well defined ribs and a white flower is likely to be williamsii. i'm curious to know more about this type of plant (Lophophora fricii var. albiflora) if more is to be known.

It certainly *could be* williamsii but spend some time looking through the online images of older fricii plants in Czech collections and I suspect you will see why it could be either one and why I'd lean more towards a fricii if forced to make a choice (my first preference would be not to make an ID choice until after seeing it flower). Well defined ribs can and do show up on fricii, especially in the lowland form.

Its not a good idea to assign more than a tentative ID to plants like this when they are lacking flowers (and it is almost certain that this plant is going to flower before long so patience should be able to reveal the answer -- white flowers aren't the norm for either fricii or williamsii but sometimes can happen for either one). If it is williamsii I would not expect it to have white flowers in combination with that body form -- white, or pale pink, with distinct pink midstripes would be more likely.

In this particular case TLC is a really easy way to tell them apart (and probably faster to achieve than waiting for a flower). A plant that old of williamsii is going to show a nicely solid band for mescaline (I hope that I did not stray across any of the forbidden lines by saying that?). Fricii will show little or more likely nothing at all at that Rf.

Pachanoi can provide a decent reference for co-TLC of that same band.

• Like 1