The Corroboree

Just starting a thread for sabers out there who are keen on Aquaculture. I will be happy to help fellow sabers get there

set ups started . The first thing you need is a I.B.C ( plastic chemical tank) or a large tank . But best to go with a I.B.C

as they are cheap and easily converted into a Aquaculture setup . There are many sites on how to build them

IBC-1024x778.jpg

Basically you chop the top off and use it as a grow bed and the bottom becomes your fish tank.

Inside your grow bed you will need a bell siphon which will flood and drain the grow bed .Plus you

need a media expanded clay is the best choice as it is light weight and long lasting . Next thing is your pump

make sure it is a decent one!!!! your fishes lives depend on it .

Choosing fish species

This all depends on your location but in Brisbane i enjoy silver perch and barramundi . in colder climates

i would think trout would suit .

Feeding fish

I feed my fish a range of pellets and lettuce I also feed them shrimp

Heating in winter

I use a solar heater that was made from a roll of plastic tubing

solar_pool_heater_diy_photo4.jpg

Would love if any other sabers are keen on aquaculture

• Like 9

Looks awesome.

not up and running yet, still in the design stage. but i have an old spa (at least 1500L) im going to seal and use as my fish tank (silver perch) and a bunch of bath tubs for grow beds. just researching more into bell syphons/u syphon. i think eventually i will use another bath tub/something else to keep yabbies as well as a friend has a well stocked dam at his farm.

• Like 1

I'm interested in finding out about low or no-tech ideas for raising fish if anybody has them. I mean, without needing pumps and stuff.

I'm sure you could chuck them in a dam and do okay with the right species, but I'm more interested in the possibility of doing something small scale without the need for power/fuel/electricity.

Gtarman.......

Carp are very adaptable....they can gulp air, and eat algae.

Asians have loved eating them for millennia.

Edited by shonman

Bigred.....an electric bug zapper, above a pond or tank,

Is a great way to feed fish.......bugs fall in, nice and fresh!

Edited by shonman
  • Like 1

Great idea for the bug zapper . Gtarman you can have a system that does not need power but you output will be very small

and you will not be able to have that many fish. You can get pumps that have solar panels pretty cheap these days so that
might be worth looking at

• Like 1

i have a solar set up I will post a picture soon. totally off the grid

for something that need low aeration yabbys are good, they can live in crappy water and do well. what is good about them they bred in tanks, fish will never breed in a tank without extra help.

so bigred have you eaten jade perch? if so what did you think?

i am about to stock my new set up and might get some.

• Like 1

Watching this thread with interest... Have 2 x 1400l tanks, will cascade them, but need the room to set it up. Was looking at solar pumps too...

One day, when I have space, I will get into aquaponics

Watching this thread with interest... Have 2 x 1400l tanks, will cascade them, but need the room to set it up. Was looking at solar pumps too...

Feel free to ask questions on building your setup

• Like 1

Bell siphon's are great way's to flood and drain your grow bed . I make mine out of pvc and threaded joints

They are cheap to make and are quite reliable .

http://www.japan-aquaponics.com/bell-siphon-guide.html

• Like 2

here is a plan for a 3 bed IBC system . it's got a awesome parts list and explains what you need and how to build a auto siphon.

it's Murray Hallams plan, he also has a how to video

TotePonicsVer4.pdf

TotePonicsVer4.pdf

TotePonicsVer4.pdf

• Like 2

still keen to hear from anyone that's eaten jade perch, there is such mixed reports about the taste.

still keen to hear from anyone that's eaten jade perch, there is such mixed reports about the taste.

never eaten it but jade perch is an oily fish, some people i think are trying to breed it out a bit? im guessing you could just cook it in things (curry om nom) if it was inedible? could always look at barramundi/silver perch if you are worried

Got a book from the library the other day on this very subject. Haven't read it yet but very curious. I start work tomorrow after being unemployed for 6 months, so when I'm financial I will definitely look seriously at aquaponic gardening. In the meantime I'll glean this thread for every bit of information I can use. Cheers

Great idea for the bug zapper . Gtarman you can have a system that does not need power but you output will be very small

and you will not be able to have that many fish. You can get pumps that have solar panels pretty cheap these days so that

might be worth looking at

I'm just thinking if I had very little money sort of thing, or if tech wasn't an option. Could aquatic plants help? I hear they provide aeration/oxygen to water. Maybe a tank with lots of plants, outside where it got wind across the surface of the water, with some carp or catfish or something?

And what are the general methods of feeding for all those fish? Do you breed insects for them or something?

EDIT: just had a thought...maybe you could rig up some kind of windmill/turbine sort of setup to churn the water at one end?..that would aerate it plenty without the need for electricity

Edited by gtarman

You should come over to mine after a meet will help you out with some N.F.T channels and a pump etc

• Like 1

I don't have the room for one atm. But down the track I might have to pick your brains a bit.

I wish I could visit and check things out, Bigred....too faraway!

You can grow black soldier fly from food scraps to feed the fish. They are probably the easiest to produce and harvest. Likewise one could use worms. Some fish will eat algae/weed also. In general though because you are removing food from the system you will have to add something. Fish food isnt too exxy but its more expensive then normal fertiliser.

One problem encountered in commercial barra aquaculture is if the small fish get use to eating bugs etc they wont touch pellets. So Id say your best idea is to stick with one type of food.

• Like 3

This is my set up. I have 50 Jade perch. a 20 watt solar power pump and an extra small panel for night time aeration.

I'm just new to it but all going well so far. it been cycling for about 2 weeks so far and the fish i put in this week.

post-13531-0-16812500-1387575031_thumb.j

post-13531-0-16812500-1387575031_thumb.jpg

post-13531-0-16812500-1387575031_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Its good to let natural carbonic acid build up in your tank to help regulate the PH(some people get logs out of creeks :angry: ) . A good way to cheat

this is to get a two litre coke bottle and put a kilo of bicarb and drip vinegar and have a hose runing to you pond you can also use yeast brews

But once you have a healthy Eco system you should not need to worry about regulating the PH

Edited by Bigred
  • Like 2

This is my set up. I have 50 Jade perch. a 20 watt solar power pump and an extra small panel for night time aeration.

I'm just new to it but all going well so far. it been cycling for about 2 weeks so far and the fish i put in this week.

attachicon.gifibc.jpg

Just make sure you have a back up for rainy cloudy days