The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
2b

1.618 , Phi. This is one funky number but is it spiritual or just coincedence ?

http://www.infinitetechnologies.co.za/arti.../geometry1.html

http://www.geomancy.org/sacred_geometry/sacgeo-7.html

these numbers are the vertebrae of the universe

they are significant

the more of these vertebrae we understand the closer we get to the head of it

a good way of looking at it Rev.

To me these numbers represent underlying symmetries in the mechanics of reality that we do not understand yet.

I suspect when we discover the head of the creature we will realise it has a tail firmly lodged in it's mouth.

on a less platonic note, there's ones like the fine structure constant & the gravitational constant too - not as pretty but just as "inexplicable", in the sense that if one of them varied by just a bit, the entire universe would be less hospitable (and the evolution of life less likely)

in my opinion this is less a sign of "god" than a sign that either the current universe is part of a huge or infinite cycle of expansions and contractions, or else that there is a multiverse with every value of every constant, and by the anthropological argument, we see constants that look suss because, well, how could they be otherwise, if we're here?

creach:

I suspect when we discover the head of the creature we will realise it has a tail firmly lodged in it's mouth.

for sure, agreed. that's my hostility towards much of middle eastern monotheism in a nutshell. It takes the unnatural view that the head and the tail are, oh, about 3 feet away from each other, totally separate :) Also i know there are branches and sects like Sufism and some philosophical zoroastrianism and gnosticism which aren't as "cut and dried" as the main koranic & biblical texts would suggest the issue is (or which have a very different reading of those texts). So i don't mean to generalize too much.

that's why i think ancient indian religion was so astonishing too.. the NUMBERS they came up with for the age of the universe and the age of cycles, are so CLOSE to the gigantic numbers that science has revealed. Whereas middle eastern monotheism is so far away.... (in my opinion only)

edit - from the Rig Veda, the sublime Mystery:

"Who knows for certain? Who shall here declare it?

Whence was it born, whence came creation?

The gods are later than this world's formation;

Who then can know the origin of the world?

None knows whence creation arose;

And whether he has or has not made it;

He who surveys it from the lofty skies,

Only he knows -- or perhaps he knows not."

[ 05. August 2005, 22:08: Message edited by: RimbaudRambo ]

• Like 1

i take acurrent view is that there is only one whole

that the universe exists as a singularity, beyond all time or cycles or dissolution and reformation of energy

expansion and contraction (or dissolving)of the physical matter is as natural and cyclical as the movemnets of the ribcage attached to those numerical vertebrae/pillars

thats the only truth i hold can be gleaned from all these monotheisms (that arent). after this most of it is a corruption of this single point

while u would say that makes me a monotheist ill add that i dont believe in 'god' and certainly not in an anthropocentric history of the cosmos

• Like 1

1.618 is the physical manifestation of the gadfly on the horses rump.

Phi is the building block of the universe. I first came across this number in the Da'vinci code. For those of you who do not know what is so special about this number I will take a lend of Browns examples.

I have verified several of these

1.Derived from the Fibonacci sequence. A sequence of numbers where the sum of the two adjacent (previous) numbers equalls the next number ie 3,5,8,13,21 etc. The qoutients of these adjacent terms approaches 1.618.

2.In a beehive, the number of female bees will always outnumber the male bees. Devide the number of females by the number of males and you will get phi

3.Sunflower seeds grow in decreaseing spirals in centre of the flower. Devide opposing spirals to get the number phi

4.devide your height by the measurement of your belly button to the floor to get phi

5.devide the length of you shoulder to your finger tip by your elbow to your finger tip to get phi

6. snail shell segment, and insect segmentation. Devide a larger segment by the next smaller segment diameter to get phi.

You will find the number pi in the pentogram, in the pyramids and every where else you look. Uncanny eh?

So, what does this lead us to believe, Is this proof of the holographic principle, where our apparent 3-d world is an illusion, and we are really looking on a flat surface, where dimensions are represented by numbers?

If you are familiar with phi and the holographic principle you probably know of this web site, but I'll through in the link, cause there is plenty of other interesting reading there

Crystalinks metaphysical and science website

wow

that stuff with fingers to shoulder/elbow is spot on, thats friggin hardcore

[ 07. August 2005, 17:58: Message edited by: dracos6 ]

I have a book called "the Divine Proportion" that goes into the asethetic beauty and attraction of maths. Its true that this ratio 1.618 has a particular attraction inside ourselves and shows up in nature alot but there are alot of other ratios/numbers that also show significant relationships. You can apply the musical scale to nature and come up with important inexplicable relationships. I think there is a branch scientific study that attempts to explain why the scientific constants are what they are.

I would like to hear what Cleo Criswell has to say about these numbers, shes very good at appling maths to the world around us. She wrote a book about maths and sex.

I am absolutely facinated with the golden ratio... it's everywhere... 2 more examples are the leaves on plant stems are in the Fibonacci sequence and also if you draw a rectangle in the Phi ratio, then split it into a square and another rectangle, that rectangle will be in the same ratio (doesn't sounds like much but it can't be done with any other ratio to the best of my knowledge) and then join all the verticies with a curved line and you get the spiral that a snail has. Things look so much better when in the golden ratio. The closer a persons bodily features are to the golden ratio, the more attractive the person is said to be. I think another example is also the distance between ur chin and ur nose compared to the dist. between ur mouth and ur chin... I think.

planthelper always cuts his cacti to the golden ratio too :P

the Fibonacci series is great the composer Bela Bartok wrote a string quartet to the Fibonacci sequence

he had a special music element occur every bar according to the series e.g

bar 1, bar 2, bar 3 etc.

it is also a cool quartet as is most of Bartok's music :)

[ 13. August 2005, 11:59: Message edited by: inpsyght ]

Edited by inpsyght

speaking of the Fibonacci sequence-wasnt the drumming on tools lateralus Fibonacci aligned, or is that b.s?

of all threads to resurrect for this i chose an old one. newer members with spare time should have a look through some of the old threads around here.

fibonacci spiral on mars

lavacoils1.jpg

they are calling them lava coils but there is an alternative possibility

FYI here is what an actual lava coil looks like, pretty awesome but not visually similar

hawaii-pahoehoe-coil.jpg

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 2