The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
etherealdrifter

free pot for low income berko's

Free Marijuana For Low-Income Residents Under New Berkeley Law

The Huffington Post | By Ed Mazza
Posted: 09/05/2014 3:42 am EDT Updated: 09/05/2014 5:59 am EDT
n-BERKELEY-MARIJUANA-large570.jpg

A California city is offering a unique benefit for low-income residents: free marijuana.

Starting next summer, Berkeley residents who earn less than $32,000 per year (or $46,000 per family) and have a prescription for medical marijuana will be able to get it for free from one of the dispensaries operating within the city.

Under a law passed unanimously by the city council, dispensaries must set aside 2 percent of their pot for distribution to the poor.

Not everyone is on board with the plan.

“It’s ludicrous, over-the-top madness,” Bishop Ron Allen, head of the International Faith Based Coalition, told Fox News. “Why would Berkeley City Council want to keep their poverty-stricken under-served high, in poverty and lethargic?”

But supporters say that marijuana is recognized as a legal medicine in the state of California (although not federally). And as medicine, people who need it shouldn't be kept away from it due to lack of funds.

“Basically, the city council wants to make sure that low-income, homeless, indigent folks have access to their medical marijuana, their medicine,” Berkeley City Councilmember Darryl Moore told CBS San Francisco.

“There are some truly compassionate cases that need to have medical marijuana,” Berkeley Mayor Tom Bates told The New York Times. “But it’s expensive. You hear stories about people dying from cancer who don’t have the money.”

Despite the controversy, many dispensaries say this won't change much since they already set aside a certain amount of weed for compassionate (a.k.a. free) distribution.

We do this on our own, so we certainly welcome the city mandating that all dispensaries create these sorts of programs,” Sean Luse, chief operating officer of Berkeley Patients Group dispensary, told Berkeleyside over the summer.

However, Luse added that he thinks 1 percent, rather than 2 percent, would be a more appropriate target.

“I do think there could be problems if we’re oversupplying demand and giving away more cannabis than is legitimately needed,” Luse said. “We’ll see how this plays out.”

• Like 6

However, Luse added that he thinks 1 percent, rather than 2 percent, would be a more appropriate target.

lol. What model did Luse use to differentiate between 1 and 2 %?

I think dispensaries putting aside some free pot to supply the needy or the homeless is a good idea but doesn't this cover this aspect of the problem?

Making it free to people of low income who can just grow it for next to nothing seems pretty stupid. It's not going to grow over night but if there is plans in place so they can receive it in the short term why do these people need it free all the time?

If only 1-2% is put aside surely legitimate cases will miss out. It doesn't seem hard to get a prescription for and many people are on low income so thats a lot of free pot! This however isn't my main concern.

I think people who can grow it would be missing out on potential therapy by not doing so. It also offers the sick a hobby or interest. It's enjoyable watching it go through its stages. You can lose hours looking at them forgetting about other worries. The final trim may be hard work but its rewarding. Curing nice nugs and cooking with trim and small buds is very enjoyable to the grower. The enjoyment or relief the final product brings is enhanced by all the time and interest spent. Its short sighted in some cases to say when a person is sick medication is all they need.

This is a really enjoyable hobby and perfect for the sick who can do it. It's actually a relaxing, enjoyable passion which could be enjoyed by everyone (who chooses) but the enjoyment is tarnished by the fact you may be fined, imprisoned or robbed because you chose a hobby. But there is good reason to stop anyone else growing it for themselves. Crims need money and guns and who better to supply the young, vulnerable or naive. Its lost notoriety may mean people who use it for the first time may have researched it. Police and government funds would be through the roof and could no doubt be put toward something maybe slightly less pointless (something worthwhile may be a stretch) but that's another topic I guess

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

rigger, i'm trying to understand you man.

this story is providing ground level oppurtunities for future entrepenours in australia. no i'm not one ,. i'm too scattered and not biothered and ...in love.

mty point about this awareness that things may be changing.

i'mn starting wonder whether all you want is to fight becayuse of not sleeping mucjh..

dag.

:)

• Like 2

there is definitely movement in the australian cannabis debate. with so much more support there is hope! in fact there are marches happening for medical cannabis on this sunday in most major cities.

medicinal grade that is consistent does not cost next to nothing to produce.....it can be done on the cheap but there is a cost.....

let alone someone sick and homeless attempting to securely and effectively produce it .

I am still scratching my head

....and lets be blunt, if you want it enough you will(sic) probably find a away to grow medicinal plants in any guerilla environment. fuck,

growing an idea is easy, planting in fertility to fruition is more difficult.

i'm re=naming your arse as conundrum because i like molly meldrum.

:P, that and because i don't swear at you in spit form while i'm spitting at the cat.

be real fuckya.\

vascular/non vascular entheo plants. herbs to eat and grow, sustainability, fuck man , if you push me i may just like you and start a fight.

:P, then if we push it some it will be put in bitches.

now once in bitches, fukn wog brother from a different mutha will turn up and start slagging everything from your shoe colour to youer fringe length.

he take s nothing to heart is a bitch when it comes to sincerity.

if you want to denigrate........provide a reason, otherwise, stick to chill zone jokes(like me lol) where it's all taken with a grain of salt.

Pot is helping poor families help their born defected kids. love is powerful.

fighting for the love of these things is not a smirky issue.

cheers for your input but you pushed me too much all at once. any one here will no i don't bite much, often , but if it's a family member - i'm unstable in my responses.

i gotta say it.

up yours

love.

...........if i was buying into the whole pharma way of life right now i'd be reaching for a benzo, but instead i'm going for a angry walk wile smoking a bunger. That way, when neigbours see me they say"Oh shit, it's ok Barry, them possum gruntings were actually just that quiet christian boy who fears god from next door.

what was the topic you were thinking of mid term now that could equally help parents with kids that conventional; medicine expends all avenues montarily to get their end goal/.?
DMT perhaps?

Fucking pot would help a stack of people/families if these stupid laws were re-evalutated at a federal level.

sorry man, maybe i said too much gold while i was hoofing some meth . with coke up my clit and yopo in my eyes while i squatted on the rock of truth eating cactus.

fucking hippies, they shit me but i see their point of view.

.....yerp, i know mods, no SOUP FOR ETH!!!

love

And you have trouble following riggers posts??

That reads like a psychosis in a snotrag.

• Like 2

I just find it hillarious, coming from a 'poor' country, that in Berkley they consider $32,000 yearly a poverty limit! :lol:

• Like 2

I had no idea there were impoverished ppl in Berkeley
perhaps we should do a charity drive ... we can collect

silk ties, gas cards and discarded i phones to help the impoverished ppl of Berkeley

Save Berkeley!

Berkos can't afford weed?

I really think its those making over 500k that should get free weed

trickle down smokanomics

Edited by Spine Collector
  • Like 3

"trickle down smokanomics" I think that's a myth :)

Maybe Ferret can pass on the members pic's (tempted to add an "r" there) from "New Trichocereus clone competition" for auction to help raise funds ...though I thinks there'd do better in San Fran........ :scratchhead:

Edited by Dreamwalker.

those berkes

(english slang, Berkeley hunt, double entendre)

• Like 1

Maybe I misunderstood the posted article Cheshire but I agreed with the whole idea of giving to the poor and needy. I think the program is a great idea that is easy to implement and makes a difference in peoples lives who need it.

My point was that just all people of low income and holding a medicinal licence aren't always the most needy cases and some may benefit from growing themselves depending on their situation. I have no problem with the sick, homeless and genuine cases.

My reasons were for the potential health benefits for the sick to who are able to grow their own in the form of a hobby. As taking your mid off the sickness is helpful also. It was also expressing concern that some less fortunate may miss out that genuinely cant get/grow or afford their own.

Waterboy, the cases you mention are most needy which I mentioned the program was good for. I was targeting those of low income $32,000 who 'can' grow it themselves that may benefit from doing so. This was why I said "people who can grow it" rather than listing every possible exclusion or instance this may or may not apply. Also until they have actually produced decent product it would still fall under the category of needing the free service. Im not saying someone suffering from cancer should be praying they pull off a decent grow to find some relief. Also regarding potency, a poor grow can still produce excellent cooking.

I don't have a problem with it I was just trying to join a discussion because it interested me. I don't mean it to be perceived as being right or angry. I don't know why some people would think that was my intention. It seems a pretty pointless thing to do with nothing to be gained..

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1