The Corroboree
woof woof woof

Ebola. Latest developments thread.

So lets do a little calculation. I'll take Liberia.

(Figures taken from Wikipedia)

On 6th June, there were approximately 35 cases. Figures are pretty patchy up to this point. If we use my figure calculated below, there would have been approximately 9 cases the previous month (May), and 2 or 3 at the start of the month prior (April). The were actually 8 cases reported on 27th March. So a slow start.

On 6th July there were 131 cases. This is a rise of 3.74 (dividing 131 by 35)

On 6th August there were 554 cases. This is a rise of 4.23 (dividing 554 by 131)

On 5th Sept there were 1,871 cases. This is a rise of 3.37 (dividing 1,871 by 554)

So, to calculate the approximate rise per month, if we add the 3 numbers and divide by 3 we are left with a potential rise of 3.78 for the next month.

Estimated cases for 6th October will be 1,871 x 3.78 = 7,072

Estimated cases for 6th November will be 7,072 x 3.78 = 26,733.

Estimated cases for 6th December will be 26,733 x 3.78 = 101,052.

And the potential number of cases for Christmas will be 101,052 x 2.52 = 254,651.

That's assuming a fairly static rise in cases, which may well not be the case according to the article below.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/sep/08/ebola-liberia-thousands-new-cases-in-weeks-who

• Like 2

I just heard announced on the radio that there is a good chance Ebola is in Australia.

The report stated - A Gold Coast man who has recently returned from a region in Africa where the virus is active has been sick for several days and he has been placed in an isolation ward in a local university hospital.

So it seems like it as I suggested above, infected people can just stroll through the gates with everyone else. International flights should have been restructured on risk based hierarchy months ago, but commerce is more important than safety.

It was the first report of I've heard about a case in Australia and I have no way to know if it's accurate or just a media frenzy based on rumor at this point.

Stay tuned.

I think rule #1 for this will be not to panic.

Since early stage ebola and flu look so much alike (and a certain number of people get flu year round) there will be lots of suspicious cases ripe for triggering mass panic that turn out to be flu or food poisoning or a nasty case of the clap, etc.

Its set to get messy in my country with flu season and, apparently, a much larger ebola problem both looming 2 months from now. I hope people can keep their heads.

Being prepared and not trusting the government tie as candidates for rule #2

Regions affected by Ebola in Africa

Congo - Cobalt, copper, cadmium, industrial and gem-quality diamonds, gold, silver, zinc, manganese, tin, germanium, uranium, radium, bauxite, iron ore, and coal

Nigeria - natural gas, coal, bauxite, tantalite, gold, tin, iron ore, limestone, niobium, lead and zinc

Sierra Leone - diamonds, titanium ore, bauxite, iron ore, gold, chromite.

Guinea - About one-third of the known world reserves of high-grade bauxite ore is found in Guinea. Sizable deposits of iron ore exist; other known mineral resources include diamonds, gold, petroleum, uranium, cobalt, nickel, and platinum.

In-case anyone still gets their news from standard news channels and doesn't know, there have been wars raging on the African continent for many years that are just not spoken about. These wars are being driven by foreign interests, mainly US, British and the French, but others are certainly involved. None of this is being reported in normal news channels, so most people just don't know about it. Many hundreds of thousands of people have been murdered by foreign troups and rebel splinter groups armed by these foreign super powers. People on the ground have screaming to all that will listen and have been suggesting there is humanitarian crisis unfolding there that rivals or exceeds the humanitarian impact seen in the Iraq/Syria conflicts and that humanitarian crisis was before the current Ebola outbreak.

US interests have corrupted all levels of government and military in all those countries listed above.

I 100% believe this outbreak is a deliberate act perpetuated by those who want these resources, why fight for them when you can use a biological agent to kill the majority of the population.

Edited by Sally

The largest moves in Africa have been by China and more welcomed I would guess. Ghadafi was in the process of coining a gold back currency that was to be primarily used throughout the african contienent but we all saw what happened.. didn't matter tho, Iran , Russian, China picked up the pieces and kept moving forward with dollar independence and time will tell the outcome

im not going to jump on the bandwagon but it is indeed true that Africa is the most mineral rich continent and its the place for the next great boom in development...

the short version for dummies :P

this was headlined today on a news site

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-rise-and-fall-of-modern-empires-2014-9

Edited by Spine Collector

Time to drag out the ultrasonic cleaner and knock up few batches liposomal encapsulated vitamin C.

4 bad foods and 90 essential nutrients ... to assist ...

for anyone interested in knowing what these 90 essential nutrients are :)

(found after following the trail of the ultrasonic vit c vid)

http://noddd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/90-Essential-Nutrients-LIST.pdf

(pdf)

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
  • Like 2

So how much are you selling your colloidal minerals for Thunderhorse ?

Just kidding mate, I got onto that same sort of propaganda about 15 years ago through the "Dead doctors don't lie" spiel from Dr Joel Wallach. A lot of it makes sense but Wallach has been exposed as a liar on some points. I still take colloidal minerals every day though for the reasons outlined above, I add mine to my kefir as it ferments in the hope the fermentation process will help with bio availability when I ingest it.

By they way I believe Dr Wallach was one of the first to make the connection between scurvy (vit C deficiency) and cot death otherwise known as SIDS. Dosing pregnant aboriganal women in the NT with vitamin C has shown to completely eliminate SIDS in those populations. The medical profession likes to keep that on the hush.

Back on topic it seems they are down playing the Australian Ebola threat now and are saying it's not likely to be Ebola.

lol, you know when they say "an attack of the flu" they really mean that obama himself is behind it,

edit: maybe they were keeping their stockpiles of the weaponized ebola at benghazi and that's why they paid the millitants to attack it to get rid of the evidence? wow this is huge,

Edited by bot6
  • Like 2

so being a total freakydumbum i see that a yankee doctor dude recovered from ebola(insert relevant news reel here)

but it will take ages before we can help our fellow humans in afreeka. freeka arseoles.

it will take us heaps of time maybe until the end of the year (or beyond) to release any helpful meds to the rest of the world.

wot a crock of good ol yankee shit

Fourth Sierra Leonean doctor infected with Ebola

Ebola paper demonstrates disease transmission rate

Australian hospital patient tests free of Ebola

Ebola's ripple effects

Its a concern when experts (doc's) catch the thing with all their precautions.......

Edited by Dreamwalker.
  • Like 2

And a curious patent that also proves nothing

http://www.google.com/patents/CA2741523A1?cl=en

Alright, I'll bite. Someone else posted this same patent link earlier but edited their post before I could ask what it was about. What exactly are you guys seeing on this page that makes you sus?

I can't follow all of the patent-speak, but it looks to me like they have sequenced a strain of ebola mainly so they can hold the patent on the resultant vaccine. Which is ethically appalling, but so are many patents. It is no proof that anyone has synthesised and/or deliberately released Ebola to cause this outbreak.

I enjoy some good paranoia (or y'know, anything that justifies my decision not to leave the house today) but this patent just says nothing to me on that front. I find it far more suspicious that our governments are actually downplaying this. When people started dropping from anthrax in the US in 2001, the gov't ratcheted the alert level up to

and blamed Al Qaeda (for anyone who missed this, it ended up originating from one of their own labs - I think the same one the American Ebola victims are being shipped to?). It actually worries me a bit that they're not doing the same thing now. I mean, our media and govt's have basically created an interdependent relationship based around making people panic about unimportant stuff, so why would they suddenly shy away from it now? Unless it's not unimportant at all.
  • Like 1

Also, how could you stay scared of something that's called EboBun? :P

bunnypancake.jpgI

I propose that this is the real EboBun - oh viral pancake bunny, how I've missed you.

• Like 1

post-11432-0-03747000-1410793462_thumb.j

post-11432-0-03747000-1410793462_thumb.jpg

post-11432-0-03747000-1410793462_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Alright, I'll bite. Someone else posted this same patent link earlier but edited their post before I could ask what it was about. What exactly are you guys seeing on this page that makes you sus?

As I stated the fact there was a patent for it proves absolutely nothing. It's the U.S. involvement that is suspicious.

It does have some parallels to the swine flu epidemic that struck a few years ago. Before there were any reported cases anywhere in the world of the new recombinant man made entity (that was brewed up in a lab) there was a patent application for a vaccine to treat this virus.

The vaccine patent was filed in 2005 and it wasn't approved until 2009. Then all of a sudden after the patent was approved we had an outbreak of a disease that had never existed anywhere outside of a "secure" lab infecting humans and animals. Here's a link to the patent.

https://www.google.com.tr/patents/US8124101

I've seen all sorts bullshit double talk (lies) emerge from the scientific community over that to try and sweep it under the carpet but it has been thoroughly confirmed as bullshit by countless independent investigators.

As I said the Ebola patent proves nothing in the given context. They are saying that the current strain is much more virulent than previous outbreaks, which also means nothing. Until the DNA profile of the virus is published we just won't know.

Make what you will of it Anodyne.

Can you really see U.S. interests developing their own strains of Ebola to help people ?

I can't see any concerted effort to arrest the Ebola crisis, the US focus their attention (and spending) on bombing the fuck out of arabs.

I just heard today that the yanks are planning to send troops into the Ebola zone they are calling it "military help", there was no mention about sending extra health care workers though. Details are a bit sketchy but they did mention 3000 troops in one report. Talk about too little too late.

Obama reckons he won't be sending troops into Syria (even though his generals are itching to go) so sending them to a zone where they can be deployed in Syria within hours must just be a coincidence. I'll only believe that they are not going to be used in the Syrian oil grab after it all pans out.

So now abbott has committed troops to the conflict in Iraq and has admitted that Syria is a sexy looking option for an escalation. Now we are getting radio ads trying to con people into joining the army.

The ad I heard today was suggesting how cool it would be to become a Rifleman in the Australian Army.

:uzi::bootyshake:

Edited by Sally
  • Like 1

Aid organisation to refuse Aust Ebola cash
  • AAP
  • September 17, 2014 5:40PM
700406-we-could-give-more-to-ebola-fight

Australia has pledged another seven million dollars to help fight Ebola in West Africa. Source: AAP

AN aid organisation has rejected the Abbott government's multimillion-dollar pledge to help fight the Ebola epidemic, saying more personnel and equipment are urgently needed instead.

MEDECINS Sans Frontieres Australia (Doctors Without Borders) says the $2.5 million offered on Wednesday would be better spent providing the same sort of logistical help as provided by military assistance in major disasters.

"Let's be very clear. It's not MSF's role nor should it be to substitute the responsibility of the Australian government or any other state in addressing this (epidemic)," MSF Australia executive director Paul McPhun told AAP. "This money would be better spent providing capacity that Medecins Sans Frontieres and other NGOs cannot. "Our teams have been overwhelmed for some time now, and are forced to turn away patients that are highly infectious. What is needed is a massive increase in personnel, equipment and logistical support."

The government has promised $2.5 million each for MSF and the World Health Organisation, and $2 million to the UK to help its efforts to combat the disease in Sierra Leone. The extra money brings Australia's contribution to $8 million. Prime Minister Tony Abbott said the government was monitoring the outbreak in west Africa and more money could be committed if it worsened. The announcement came just hours after US President Barack Obama called for a global response to the "out of control" epidemic.

MSF has described the response so far as "lethally inadequate." "The emergency we're facing is not just an emergency of containing an Ebola epidemic," Mr McPhun said. "This is also a massive public health emergency where health infrastructure has collapsed and thousands of people are dying now of non-communicable diseases over and above the Ebola emergency. "Sooner or later it will not be contained."

The UN says nearly $US1 billion ($A1.08 billion) will be needed to stop the worst-ever outbreak of the disease, which has killed more than 2400 people in Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone. The UN predicts 20,000 people could be infected by Ebola by the end of the year, while President Obama says the virus could infect hundreds of thousands if it's not stopped now.

Labor supported the government's increased contribution, but noted the coalition had cut $118 million in aid to Africa in its first budget.

Medecins Sans Frontieres and Ebola

* Began intervention in west Africa in March 2014.

* Operating in Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, and Sierra Leone.

* Runs five Ebola case management centres with a total capacity of 480 beds.

* Has admitted 2077 people, of whom 1038 tested positive for Ebola and 241 have recovered.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/latest-news/australia-pledges-7m-more-for-ebola-fight/story-fn3dxiwe-1227061457653?nk=a0dae65b595f2c4070bcd864c654cf89

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 1

https://www.change.org/p/julie-bishop-the-deadly-ebola-virus-is-spreading-and-terrifying-deploy-our-military-trained-experts-to-help-before-it-wipes-out-a-generation

Julie Bishop: the deadly Ebola virus is spreading, and terrifying

– deploy our military-trained experts to help before it wipes out a generation

Petition by

Ali Readhead

Perth, Australia

I've never been more devastated in my life. Last week I returned to Perth after working with the health ministry in Sierra Leone – witnessing first hand how the deadly Ebola virus is spiralling out of control and killing hundreds.

It's terrifying, and to be honest I'm not sure anyone knows when or how it'll end. What I saw will stay with me forever – in some places there aren't enough ambulances to pick up those infected or bury the dead.

There are less than 30 isolation beds in the capital city Freetown, where close to 200 people have already been infected. Over a thousand Sierra Leoneans have lost their lives to the virus nationwide. Health workers are dealing with a virus they're not equipped or trained to dealt with on this scale. Just yesterday we lost another Sierra Leonean doctor to the virus - and we don't have that many doctors to lose.

For once there's something tangible that Australia can do to help in this crisis. Australia has trained biological hazard military units that could help contain this deadly virus – the same kinds of units the UK and US governments are sending in to help. I'm asking Julie Bishop and the Australian government to immediately send a military unit equipped with engineers, logisticians, and medics, to set up a field hospital in Sierra Leone to be run as an isolation centre for Ebola patients.

We've already had a scare on the Gold Coast with a suspected case. In reality, it's unlikely Ebola will ever reach our shores like it has there – but what's happening in West Africa right now is the start of a global health and security crisis we've not seen before.

Deploying a unit trained to deal with biological hazards like Ebola will help the Government of Sierra Leone government and World Health Organisation get control of this virus – and mean if someone gets sick they can be treated rather than left to die alone.

Please add your name to my urgent petition for Australia to act to end the Ebola crisis – we can't let this virus claim any more lives than it already has.

Guineas Ebola education team believed to be abducted or dead

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/guineas-national-ebola-education-team-believed-to-be-abducted-or-dead/

they found their bodies, most at least
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/18/us-health-ebbola-guinea-idUSKBN0HD2JE20140918

Edited by Spine Collector

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/24/health/ebola-cases-could-reach-14-million-in-4-months-cdc-estimates.html?_r=0

Ebola Cases Could Reach 1.4 Million in 4 Months, C.D.C. Estimates

In the worst-case scenario, Liberia and Sierra Leone could have 21,000 cases of Ebola by Sept. 30 and 1.4 million cases by Jan. 20 if the disease keeps spreading without effective methods to contain it. These figures take into account the fact that many cases go undetected, and estimate that there are actually 2.5 times as many as reported.

And so on