The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
amanito

Nu-nu: psychoactive snuff from Peru.

Introduction from what I know:

- Nu-nu is a psychoactive snuff which comes from the Amazon region in Peru and is used by the Matses, who also use kambo or what they also refer to as sapo, meaning frog in English (it's a venom, secreted from frog, combined with spit, put on a stick and then used to burn marks in the skin. I have two friends who've done it and it gives an unpleasant intoxicating effect and makes you vomit. It is used to 'clean' the body and I've also heard vague reports of helping to quit drugs) Both medicines are used in hunting magic and are seen as a medicine.

- So what does if consist of? It's a snuff made from toasted, crushed and then powdered nicotiana tabacum (mapacho) combined with the powdered burned inner bark of theobroma sp (bicolor according to a friend). They put the mixture under the ground (I don't know in what they put it) and let it there a few months, when they take it out it's ready to be consumed. It is used the same way yopo is used, through a blow pipe they blow it in each others nose.

Then I found this in The Encyclopedia of psychoactive plants by Christian Rätsch on page 504.

Theobroma subincanum Martius - cacahuilo.

A number of Amazonian tribes burn the bark of this cacao species and add the resulting ashes to snuffs, especially those from Virola spp. or tobacco (cf. Nicotiana tabacum) (Schultes 1978a, 187*). The powdered inner bark, mixed with tobacco, is said to be used as a hallucinogen (Duke and Vasquez 1994, 169*). It has been suggested that Theobroma cacao may have been derived trough the cultivation of this Amazonian species (Baumann and Seitz 1994, 942)

My experience:

I happen to have some of the snuff from my travel to Peru 2 years ago, yesterday I tried it again. I put two lines of the powder and sniffed them and it gave me a very hard burning feeling (harder than ketamine or yopo). I got tears in my eyes and felt very uncomfortable for 5 minutes. The effects kicked in pretty fast. I felt a bit knocked out and my tummy felt very uncomfortable and I felt like I might puke). The effects would be described as dreamy, sedative and mild psychoactive. They wore off after 30 - 40 minutes. Last time I did this I couldn't remember I had this much nausea, so it might depend of the content of your tummy. I can't really recommend the snuff if you are looking for a recreational high, then you better just smoke a joint. But if you want to experience a rare snuff it's definitely interesting to have it done once and to have it in your collection. The best is of course doing it with the Matses in an original setting, also the frog venom. (something you wouldn't do when you are on your own for fun in your room.)

done both and nu-nu is my all time favourite snuffs, i love it i wish i had more, it is some very powerful thing that snuff, never been able to recplicate it, but have come close in other ways with a native plant used for ash making

Hi,

I have a few sources available if you want and they are quite cheap, I just don't know if you can get this easily inside OZ.

i will send you a pm

It sounds very interesting, but I loathe snorting anything. Are there other methods of administering it?

Are these thing readily available in Peru? I am going to be over there in July - August and would like to get my hands on some. I assume its just a case of finding the right store in the right markets?

there are fuckloads of 'shaman' markets around peru, while i never searched out nu nu, i would say that its not hard to find

I would say it's difficult, because those markets consist mostly of shipibo indians and others and they don't use nu-nu. Nu-nu is used by the Matses, a small tribe, who tend to stay in the jungle.

Edited by amanito

but if you can buy it online alledgely from the Matses, why wouldnt it be spread around shaman markets of peru?

Can you give greater detail to the effects...psychoactive in what way...sorry just need more info to digest whats going on here and where is the pharmacology on this so we can see what the actives actually are...?

thanks...

oh and tripsis you are such a woooosss snorting powders is the greatest ever, sometimes I snort coffee or carpet fluff just to feel like a real man again...tongue.gif

but if you can buy it online alledgely from the Matses, why wouldnt it be spread around shaman markets of peru?

'Cos that's from a friend of mine who went there deep in the jungle, he liked the experience and asked if he could buy a few kilo. They said ok .. but he needed to come back after a few months cos they keep it underground a few months.

Can you give greater detail to the effects...psychoactive in what way...sorry just need more info to digest whats going on here and where is the pharmacology on this so we can see what the actives actually are...?

Serene, made me think a bit of the serenity of opium and mild psychoactive, but not the same crappy mild psychoactivity vendors use to describe galangal or w/e with.

i have written about nunu here many times before, but at first it hurts, pain right to the back of your head into your eyes down your neck, but when you take a fair bit you get used to that, and then you enter a kinda dreamy state, i found i have was having very vivid dreams in the night as well, when i was taking nunu, i had dreams on how to properly use nunu. its a plant teacher, and i found it worked really well for me as a plant teacher, it was a few years ago now that i have had it, and i was somehow lucky enough to have a bottle sent to me with sapo from someone in peru who was with the matses.

sapo another amazing medicine, but not for the faint hearted, although i do know of one person who took such a large dose, that did not have any effect it was hard to beleive, (you know who you are) yet when i had to test it to make sure the sapo was still good worked fine on me. anyway its a good medicine to clean you out in an intense manner once again i have talked about sapo before here so wont go into it all again.

recently i was reading abotu brazilian snuff making, homemade stuff, and some people in brazil are adding kampo to their snuffs, which i found very interesting, i dont think i woudl ever snuff sapo again to save my life, that was one of the most unpleasant painful, agonising, amazing eperiences i have ever had. that frog was in me and the only releif i had was to make its sound, it showed me to do this, in a way, as i squatted there in agony i made those frog calls and everything woudl be alright for that breif moment, channeling the frog :)

anyway both are very intersting and amazing ethneogens.

i have tried to make my own versions on Nunu, but nothing comes close, similar but not the same, although i am missing on ingredient the ashes from the cocao tree, however i have since been gifted a rare plants phyllodes used long time ago, with pituri and other tobaccos, no longer used except for one old elder who knows about it but doesnt use it, that when made into ash, and chewed with green mapacho, is very similar to the effects of Nunu, its some powerful stuff that plant, i dont know what it is, or the latin name for the plant, but i wish i did as i wold grow it, i am just lucky to have been gifted it.

when i get a chance i will make snuff with the ash from this plant