The Corroboree
Ethos

Grafting competition 2011/2012

Cactuscarl and GOT I think we are all in the same boat I've only done two successful grafts so it will be good to test all our skills with a fun little comp.

Will post pica tomorrow arvo of my progress

30 sown!

Let the games begin!

130 sown this morning i don't have a memory card atm. I'll keep this updated with pics as soon as i get one

@ ethos yeah this should be a good learning curb hopefully I'm a pro after this comp. I've got 4 healthy peres to play with now for the comp and about 20 new shoots for a bit later on. I can't wait to have a hole herd of them :)

Good luck guys and girls

Edited by cactuscarl

Awww I gotta wait til fri pm to sow out. That's ok, gives the Peres a little mre time to get kicking.

I'll be putting arios down mainly, only a couple of lophs... I haven't done pere grafts for a while, be nice to do them again!

Awww I gotta wait til fri pm to sow out

You should have a handicap any way being as you are an experienced campaigner :P

Is there any one else playing....

Best of luck every one

Cheers

Got

Yeah i'm gonna give it a crack. I just put down a small amount of seed and hopeing my peres cuts will get their asses into gear and start growing for me.

Irie,

I'm in!

I'll sow some seeds in the morning!#

Respect,

Z

Fuck you south australia and your laws preventing me from entering this competition. :wave-finger::bootyshake:

Fuck you south australia and your laws preventing me from entering this competition. :wave-finger::bootyshake:

I second that.

Good to hear everyone is in! :lol:

Today I went to the hardware store and bought a bag of brunnings propagating sand, spent most the day seiving and thoughroughly washing sand.

I have 150 seeds to sow, I am going to sow 100 tonight which will go under 48 watts of light on a 20/4 on off timer.

nothing picture worthy :P

I have flowers, I've won..

Not really, but I woke up to one of my non grafted plants flowering and thought I would show off..

My first ever cactus to flower :wub:

post-7855-0-73930200-1320207630_thumb.jp

post-7855-0-63022200-1320207653_thumb.jp

better pics to come once my girlfriend sends them off her iphone

post-7855-0-73930200-1320207630_thumb.jpg

post-7855-0-63022200-1320207653_thumb.jpg

post-7855-0-73930200-1320207630_thumb.jpg

post-7855-0-63022200-1320207653_thumb.jpg

Irie,

Well forgot to put the seeds down yesterday....

Got them down today, so gave you guy's a 24hr head start...

You'll gonna need it!!Fighting talk! :slap:

Respect,

Z

Alright guys, i did some changes to this thread. Changed the title to "GRAFTING COMPETITION 2011/2012" and deleted the empty posts. Next time something like this happens you should message me or WT and we´ll take em out. Empty posts look like a shitty sock. I unpinned the old one as it´s better to make a new one each year. Will pin this now. Have fun guys!

Ethos, i assume you´ll manage the competition as you opened up the thread. Will keep my hands out of this but let me know if there are problems. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

I will let you know if i need help with anything EG,

Cheers for cleaning the thread up/ re - titling it too, there were many dead and pointless posts it looks much better now

Thanks EG

Nice plant ethos did you grow from seed it's looking super healthy and is it in full sun? I want mine to flower it should be big enough but I'm to scared to put it in the sun

No I did not grow this from seed, a very generous member from this forum gifted it to me.

I would mention his name but his state of residence has some weird law where you can no longer have these so I wont, he knows who he is and knows I am very greatful :)

It sits on a south east facing windowsill (inside) and gets full afternoon sun from around 2pm - sunset, cactuscarl how big is your plant you want to flower? and where is it growing now? hot house, shaded, fluoro's etc..

Just ease her in to sun gently now before it starts to get stinking hot. Avoid direct sunlight for prolonged ammount of time, usually if I am out in the garden/by the pool and my skin starts heating up after 30 seconds to a minute in the sun I take my cacti in to shade.

Edit; here is a pic of her just now

post-7855-0-91962400-1320288423_thumb.jp

post-7855-0-91962400-1320288423_thumb.jpg

post-7855-0-91962400-1320288423_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ethos

Irie,

Just wondering????

At what age do you'll rekkon you will use the seedlings for the graft???

I've got a number of different stock to try out...

This is gonna be a bit of a test, to see which preforms best.

Respect,

Z

I'm going to try n get a head start and try a couple at about a 5 days old, i don't know how they'll do but apparently you can do them very young. If i can't get them to take I'll probably wait another 2-3 weeks before trying depends how fast my back up peres grows

On a side note i grafted some of my penis plant yesterday I'll let yous know how it go

Wow 5 days how do you handle something that small? Good luck everyone really wishing I could participate in this looks like its gonna be good fun :)

I've grafted a 7 day old seedling with success, heres how i did it,

Cut the gafting stock and leave a sliver of the stock on top of where you wish to attach the graft, this will help it from drying out and keep your seedling from not adhering properly to your stock.

Gently pick out the chosen seedling, place it on to a hard sterile surface and cut through the seedling at its widest point to give the most vascular tissue to help the graft 'take'(when I slice tiny seedlings I like to keep a hold of the seedling with the tweezers gently to avoid simply squishing the seedling).

Then when you have made the cut push the extra bit of stock off and slide your seedling from the blade on top of the stock and in to position over the vascular rings.

I use tubestock pots for grafts, by using the bottoms of plastic bottles I fashion humidity domes which I cut to have tags that fit in the holes on the top lip of tubestock pots.

Mist the humidity dome and put in the prop area, check in 3 days mist again if needed and in a week and I can usually tell if the graft has taken

• Like 1

I eventually found some time tonight and put down approximately 150 loph's, 150 Ario's, 50 Superpedro x Pycho0, 50 x Terschekiinot x Pachanot and some Aztekium

My pere army is growing by the week :)

post-4489-0-81903200-1320585197_thumb.jp

Cheers

Got

post-4489-0-81903200-1320585197_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-81903200-1320585197_thumb.jpg

I have three very small Lophs in my chinese container :D

These are the first Lophs I've ever grown, so now I'm really quite reluctant in grafting them...I think I will graft two and keep one as a rooted cactus.

Hopefully more pop up!

Peace

Wow they came up fast i wasn't expecting any for at least a couple more days but i might check them this arvo just in case.

You should get a couple more id say 3 out of 30 is a pretty low germ rate, if they all came up together that's a good sign you'll see some more in the next few days :)

@ GOT nice peres I've got a couple like that but I'm jealous of your army there looking super healthy

Edited by cactuscarl

Yeah I am impressed too, but that said all my pachs came up extremely quickly. I am going to get these guys on a rigorous fert cycle from about two weeks in.

I have no idea how old they should be before they are grafted though - I am terrified!

Peace.

I got my seeds from zelly and within 6 days sown on the 3rd 30 or so have popped from 100 seed

and GOT damn thats some nice peres, im scared