The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Yeti101

Is the key to consciousness in the claustrum?

(Not sure where to post this - mods can move this if they feel like it :) )

Interesting article the neuroscience of about consciousness and a possible mechanism of action for Salvia divinorum, all from a researcher from the Uni of Western Sydney.

https://theconversation.com/is-the-key-to-consciousness-in-the-claustrum-25390

• Like 5

why do they keep thinking all this stuffs going on IN the mind?

till someone performs an autopsy and shows me a mind... i wont be crediting any measurments of it!

• Like 1

MRI's show various 'mind' activities and where in the brain its occurring at any given time......

of course that's in this dimension.

Edited by Dreamwalker
  • Like 2

Demonstrating links between neural activity in various areas of the brain and thought processes doesn't necessarily mean that the brain is the generator of consciousness. The dial on a radio changes position, the station changes, does that mean the Rolling Stones are inside the dial?

• Like 6

Thanks for posting the link- some interesting findings and suggestions therein

Isn't The Conversation a national treasure?

• Like 2

Demonstrating links between neural activity in various areas of the brain and thought processes doesn't necessarily mean that the brain is the generator of consciousness. The dial on a radio changes position, the station changes, does that mean the Rolling Stones are inside the dial?

Of course not - they're in our heads, with the rest of our reality. :P

Wherever our minds and souls and realities ultimately reside, they are experienced in our brains, which is what this article is about.

I'd always wondered what the hell kappa receptors were for.

Edited by Anodyne
  • Like 2

^ ^ ^ ^ neuroscience is a young discipline .. 70-100 billion neurons, each connected to an average of 10 000 other neurons .. FMRI has only been used as a tool for looking at brains since 1993, with 21 years of deveolpment their resolution is about as good as photography was in the 1820's .. it's only the beginning .. also of coarse it doesn't solve 'the hard problem' of the neural correlates of consciousness .. but this is really interesting, cheers for posting . another really interesting field in brain science came across in one of the latest national geographics is the idea of connectomes . but i wouldn't expect answers to questions like this in our lifetime

Edited by Seldom
  • Like 1

Wherever our minds and souls and realities ultimately reside, they are experienced in our brains, which is what this article is about.

I agree, however I think the more interesting question is where this ultimate residence of consciousness is.

Stiefel seems to have really been smitten by Crick et al and the claustrum as the "conductor" of the "dynamic field" of consciousness (see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3935397/). The words conductor and field seem to indicate a non-local model of consciousness.

• Like 1

thats what im getting at dan.

all the knollege of the anatomy of the brain and the examples of its activitys dont even slightly indicate the exact location or residence of the conciousness.

probably my fault but when i think conciousness i think mind.

"i think brain and all its bits n bobs is physical.

thinking sentient thoughts ie conciousness is mind."

if that makes my first post make more sence.

even though none of my posts make sence because i have none.

Edited by wert
  • Like 1