The Corroboree
bl4

Acacia propagation tips

Hi,

I have a few maiden's wattle plants the I would like to clone, I have tried taking cuttings, using root hormone powder and gel but can't seem to get them to take root. Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Zac

Hi Zac,, just get some more seeds dude. But if you must try cuttings, have you put them in a humidity chamber of some sort? I'm sure I've read Acacia don't strike very well.

Ive read a few times that there rather difficult if not impossible to clone, but I am still determined to successfully pull it off. I typically use a big plastic container inside of my small greenhouse to raise the humidity. I think I recall reading something about using a potato as a sort of medium which is what I am trying now.

• Like 1

A potato as medium sounds very cool. Keep that updated and I'm sure you'll some to strike. It's just the success rate may not be that good. Good luck.

My new rooting gel is iba, so fingers crossed...but can you clarify I little more on the diluting of IBA with acetone. Ie how much acetone to rooting gel. am I gonna need a ppm reader

The gel is probably the same concentration as what they used (1g/L) so you could use it as is. Tbh don't think that the acetone will make a difference, they probably just make up their hormone solution from powder.

Also one avenue worth investigating could be air layering. Always wanted to try this on recalcitrant species.

• Like 1

Well my potato grafts didn't turn out so well, just rotted into a stinky slimy mess, so into the compost they went...that leaves me with air layering, the only technique I can think of that i haven't tried yet...will post further updates on my finds.

• Like 1

Air layer grafts, have been in place for a week and a half....there appears to be mold growing on the outside of the pods I am using so I removed the plastic to allow some fresh air in....no roots as yet but its probably too soon anyways

Ferret had some luck rooting A. colei (?) cuttings maybe six month ago, have a look for his thread.

• Like 1