The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Khala

Just need to let some stuff out.

Feel free to ignore this thread.

One: My car rego was about $900 all up, and I was pretty bummed about this. I went for inspection and found out that the guy I bought the car off had put heaps of dumb stuff on it - a new free-flowing muffler that exceeds legal decibel count, the wheels and tyres are far too large for the car (3" larger), the pedals and steering wheel are 'sports' and not legal. I was pretty uncluey about cars and thought it'd be okay. Turns out not.

So I got told to fix it all would cost more than the car, so I may as well sell it and get a cheaper one. So I go home, voila, my laptop breaks (the bit you plug the charger in to completely snapped off). I borrow another laptop and put up an ad on cars guide selling my car.

And today I was going to take my laptop to Harvey Norman to get it fixed, and leaving school after a terrible day, I fall down a hill and land directly onto the tarmac/gravel, destroying my knees and doing something to my ankle...I can't walk on it and it's swollen as hell.

So yeah. Life sucks at the moment and I seem to be just spiraling downwards in unhappiness. And needed to tell someone.

Thanks.

mate that sucks

sorry to hear ya havin such a hard time with everything

i dont know shit about cars im getting a new one in the next few days

but the few i've bought i always make sure i get a friend to check it out first

cos i dont know shit about em and im always worried i'll buy something i shouldnt have

hope ya lappy doesnt cost to much to fix my charger fucked up a while ago somehow the cord broke there was wires

hangin outta there for a while and it was fine then it just stopped workin

had to buy a whole new charger fuckin 100 buks i couldnt believe it

thought maybe 50 tops

Big hug Khala. It will be OK. Life is like that sometimes, bad luck, back to back. Yin Yang. Something really good will be just around the corner, but for now, just plod along :)

that's fucked up man, hopefully your luck turns around soon, you might look back at this time as a positive and character defining experience.

good luck

Thanks guys. Good advice. Good news is already found a potential buyer.

Bad news...my two 6-month old Acacia Maidenii are dead and shrivelled...

shit bro hope stuff starts goin good it will eventualy (always dose) but till then ill send ya a hug too

So yeah. Life sucks at the moment and I seem to be just spiraling downwards in unhappiness. And needed to tell someone.

Very sorry to hear you had such a crappy time! But you know what, the fun thing about life it that it can change its direction drastically within just a few days, weeks or months and reward you with more good things that you could ever expect. And sometimes, great things come along with something bad that happened. Maybe the old car would have started to burn while driving and/or would have killed you due to bad brakes.

And if life doesnt pay you back on the long term, you can surely still throw stones at hopeful kids who try to play trick or treat at halloween when your old. :devil: Takes away the edge of it a bit. bye Eg

i hate harvey normans, always such a stuff around and they take to long. so much easier to go to a local independent pc shop

hey... at least you don't have to deal with this

tree-man01.jpg

I've had my hair cut since that photo was taken, people tell me I look quite handsome now.

I can help you out with some maidenii if you want Khala, I don't want any money for them.

buying and selling cars is a bit of a mix bag sometimes you win and other times you lose.

My way of buying a car under $5000- is be prepared to look at anything and when you go for a look ask the seller to drive the car that way you'll pick up on their driving habits and how they treat the car do they ride the brake or clutch watching how they drive may potentially reveal things about the car you wouldn't have initially thought to look for if you took it for a drive.

I generally shy from cars under 5k advertised as having Mags,tinted windows general aftermarket stuff also phrases like "goes hard" seriously I'm looking at a car under 5k and some dick head saying it goes hard has pretty much told me he thrashes the cunt out of it and now wants to piss it off.

Pretty much if the car is clean and tidy and drives nice and I'm interested I'll ask the people why are they selling the car? how long have they had it ? just some simple questions about the car and then I trust my gut feeling on the rapport I've built with the people.

might not work for everyone but it works for me more often than not.

Hope your luck changes dude

Happy Travels

Is there any money owing on it is another good question. Followed up by a revs check.

One thing that you might find helpful to do is to try and not see things as being "all bad", or "all good". If you got ripped off, then as long as you learned a lesson then that's all that matters down the track - it was just an expensive lesson (I've had my fair share of expensive lessons too, but they were so good that there's not as many these days hehehe). :P

That's the only thing you should rightfully be upset about, not learning.

As a side-point, I'm not such a fan of the "at least I'm not as bad as that guy" approach for a few reasons. The obvious one being you might actually be the worst yet. But the main problem is that by deriving your happiness from the failure of others is a bit evil, and furthermore you will always need to find "losers" to feel good. Sure it's fine to have a laugh about the guy who lost the fun-run because he was eating twinkies instead of practicing (IMO), but it's much more sustainable if your happiness is derived internally (it's called a Positive Feedback Loop, it's a circuit topology that appears in the human body), as then it will never run out.

Lastly, I know what it feels like to be spiralling into sadness. It's not very nice, but the key thing to remember is that will be over, and that you can make it over quicker by always trying your best. :)

someone once told me "there's value in every experience"

i suppose that's true :shroomer:

As a side-point, I'm not such a fan of the "at least I'm not as bad as that guy" approach for a few reasons. The obvious one being you might actually be the worst yet.

as a corollary, the same could be said of people who would say that to someone, "stop whining at least you don't have xx happening". i wonder if anyone's said to a cancer patient "stop whining at least you don't have aids as well".

As a side-point, I'm not such a fan of the "at least I'm not as bad as that guy" approach for a few reasons. The obvious one being you might actually be the worst yet. But the main problem is that by deriving your happiness from the failure of others is a bit evil, and furthermore you will always need to find "losers" to feel good.

totally agree, would never recommend comparing yourself to others as a way to derive your happiness, that would be extremely misguided, however in my opinion it's incredibly important to get a balanced view of whats going on in the world & many other peoples lives in order to get perspective on your own problems.

what i'm talking about is not a way to achieve happiness but to help you to let go of needless unhappiness through compassion & a greater understanding of your own experience by imagining yourself in someone elses shoes.

for instance the very fact someone can own a car at all, is a profoundly priveliged position to be in when you look at most humans in the world. so when theres a mishap with that car it may be helpful to recognize this & instead of losing the plot you could focus on this fact & if you really think about it, you would feel like a spoiled twat for even beginning to feel hard done by. this isn't feeling good at the misfortune of others it's being greatful for the abundance you have because you have perspective on just how lucky you are to have.

if someone is truly greatful for what they have then that abundance is not wasted & to be truly greatful for what you have you need some perspective on it.

with that said though, whose to say having a car & all that crap really is very privelaged. it's well documented that people in poorer countries (if they're not dying of starvation or disease) are on average much happier than people in richer countries. maybe having all that crap is a curse cause we get spoiled & then tiny little problems seem gargantuan & we lose it.

that said i feel your pain kahla, modern city life can be profoundly depressing, empty, meaningless & stressful & (this is not a judgement of you, but of me also & just about everyone here really) when the convenience of our technology breaks down the emptiness pours in unabated & with no widgets to distract us or instantly provide us with material satisfaction we so easily fall apart as we generally have no adequate psychological tools to deal with the truth beyond these things because our culture as a whole is so shallow, insensitive & profoundly affraid to engage with anything beyond the narrow tunnel of supeficiality that it see's as important.

There is always someone who WILL pass your car for rego bro. Shop around for your pink slip, mag wheels and loud muffler by 3db and sports pedals is a lame excuse for nocking back a pink slip. Your mechanic sounds like an old fart. Just find another one.

Sorry to hear you're having dramas, dude. At the moment, I can totally relate.

On the plus side, though, I'm blown away by the awesome advice some folks are handing out here. Cool,cool people. :-)