The Corroboree

a few pics of some of my grafts, matchhead shows scale.

post-70-0-54345200-1330561390_thumb.jpg

i think my pc needs a restart, more hopefully later.

graft 1.JPG

graft 1.JPG

• Like 1

this graft is several years old, the peres still holds up.

post-70-0-35609200-1330562271_thumb.jpg

hoodia gordonii, grafted onto stapelia.

post-70-0-19056400-1330562442_thumb.jpg

a varigated loph graft. i regrafted the colorfull loph onto some pedro.

and the green lophs are the regrowth of the original peres loph graft.

use the peres leaf for scale, they are still quite small.

post-70-0-36969000-1330562880_thumb.jpg

old loph peres graft.JPG

hoodia gordonii stapelia.JPG

varigated loph.JPG

old loph peres graft.JPG

hoodia gordonii stapelia.JPG

varigated loph.JPG

• Like 5

Nice pics PH :) how big is the Peres on the several year old loph?

Im still building up my stock but done a couple grafts now.

Nice pics, planthelper. Thanks for sharing. Is the variegated Loph seedgrown or did you get it as a cutting? bye Eg

Nice pics PH :) how big is the Peres on the several year old loph? Im still building up my stock but done a couple grafts now.
the peres don't elongate over time much, if at all, but they circumfrence does get bigger of the peres, i guess the diametre is around 10mm. i will take measurments.
Nice pics, planthelper. Thanks for sharing. Is the variegated Loph seedgrown or did you get it as a cutting? bye Eg
i grew it from seed. late edit: changed the wording 12mm, to 10mm. Edited by planthelper

Hi there!

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

That first pic is an Ariocarpus, yes?

Im curious, when it comes to grafting ariocarpus,if you cut off the head for grafting, will that big bulbous root system pup again and survive?

How much of the top would you need to leave attached to allow it to pup?

Any thoughts or advice?

cheers

Also - cool to see the Hoodia graft, thats the first one Ive seen. I was just about to try doing that!

Do you feel the growth rate of the Hoodia has been significantly increased by the grafting?

Its looking very green compared to mine which is more of a dull greyish colour.

@niggles. Regarding grafting Ariocarpus seedlings. You are better off trying to graft the lower half, roots and all onto another Pereskiopsis stock (or the same one if you are skilled at the technique), this usually will pup eventually and grow into a nice plant. It is unlikely that a cut seedling will survive and pup as it will be far too small and it's highly unlikely that you will be able to leave an intact areole that can produce a pup. You need intact areoles for pups to grow from. This applies to all cacti. Hope that helps.

@PH. Nice grafts mate.

Edited by tonic

Also - cool to see the Hoodia graft, thats the first one Ive seen. I was just about to try doing that!

Do you feel the growth rate of the Hoodia has been significantly increased by the grafting?

Its looking very green compared to mine which is more of a dull greyish colour.

i started grafting them first because, i wanted to have more plants, at that stage i had only a few specimens. than i realised that grafting makes them less vunerable against rotting away.

the growth rate with the grafted hoodias is better, than the non grafted, but i water the grafts a lot, whilst the hoodias on there own roots, don't get as frequent waterings.

i tried to upload more grafts, but the puplic pc either freezes up or the pic comes up black, so i post this dragon fruit flower instead. i waited five years for that flower (the fruit was yummy).

i will upload more grafts from another pc.

sorry java problems, can't upload.

penis on pedro, so far, i can't observe any more virgor for the penis.

post-70-0-06395700-1330748730_thumb.jpg

here is a loph which has been grafted onto a small unrooted echinopsis.

post-70-0-61242300-1330748912_thumb.jpg

this pic shows the previously used echinopsis, with his roots formed by means of etiolation only (and the moisture in the air)post-70-0-35962500-1330749132_thumb.jpg

well growing asteria.

post-70-0-09796300-1330749345_thumb.jpg

turbinicarpus, i think they are slow growers, grafted or not.

post-70-0-20117200-1330749543_thumb.jpg

dragon fruit flower, i had to wait 5 years for that one.

post-70-0-60454300-1330749716_thumb.jpg

fruit on the plant.

post-70-0-98427700-1330749848_thumb.jpg

all this hard work made me hungry, yummy dragon fruit! :)

post-70-0-41196500-1330749940_thumb.jpg

penis on pedro.JPG

loph on small pedro.JPG

echinopsis etiolated roots.JPG

K3094F484056_1000150.JPG

turbi.JPG

dragon fruit flower.JPG

drgonfruit on plant.JPG

dragon fruit yummy.JPG

penis on pedro.JPG

loph on small pedro.JPG

echinopsis etiolated roots.JPG

K3094F484056_1000150.JPG

turbi.JPG

dragon fruit flower.JPG

drgonfruit on plant.JPG

dragon fruit yummy.JPG

• Like 3

A question for you PH. Did you graft the little loph onto the unrooted Echinopsis while it had roots and take a cutting? Or did you graft it to an un rooted stock?

I have recently been experimenting with grafting to un rooted stocks, which seems to work quite well, just keen to get your insight on this. Does it effect growth much if un rooted, for example?

Thanks.

tonic

I've been doing a fair bit of unrooted grafting, from what I've seen, as long as the stock is in growth, it'll transfer to the scion...

This is from both large and small stock, pach

Do you find it has impeded growth gilligan? Or do you find it is the same/similar as grafting onto a pre rooted stock?

I should have mentioned that the stocks I am experimenting are Trichos, but that's the what you are using anyway.

Nah, doesnr seem like they are impeded in any way... the growth slows as the scions take but after this tthey seems to grow as well as the other rooted ones. I think iin the long term they'll have issues vs a rooted one, but to just allow tthe grafting, then set aside to root andf plant seems good...

That's good to know. Thanks for that.

Can I ask the reasoning behind your theory that the un rooted stocks will have less issues than the stocks that already have roots?

Thanks.

Edited by tonic

I think gilligan meant they would have more issues?

I have one of these unrooted grafted cuttings, the scion is growing well and pupping but the stock seems to be not rooting as well as some other cuittings, but that could be a number of factors.

Initially, all if the growth is goin into the scion on an unrooted stock, but eventually, the stock will need to send out roots, thus energy us expended both ends, not just the growing end... That's why in the longer run, the already rooted stocks prob have it over the unrooted. But as I say, I've done a lot of these grafts, and haven't had them fail or become stunted...

Nice plants, ph, I love the dragonfruit flower! That ario is nice too :-)

the echinopsis with the little loph on top, had at the time of grafting, some roots just emerging, as it shows in the pic.

so the term unrooted is not entirely correct, let's say it just started forming roots.

but grafting onto stock without any roots works fine, maybe sometimes the pedro doesn't like getting roots for some reason and than, you might have to re graft, or wait longer for roots to be formed.

i once got inspired by a pic, showing a good sized pedro, with several small lophs, placed right onto the vascular ring, so i tried that, but always failed after a few weeks.

the trick seems to me is, to choose a small pedro and place the loph onto the "pin pointed" vascular bundle.

in other words, cut the pedro only slightly down, so the vascular ring looks only like a small disc.

slicing the pedro like salami, will explain that better than words...

i think grafting onto bare pedros, works very well.

when grafting onto peres, the few important things are, only use very healthy full in virgor peres, if the peres is very dry (no sap ozzing out) use the juice of a very fat peres leaf to lubricate the union, but if the peres discards a lot of sap when you cut it, better don't graft at all because the loph might get pushed of the stock, by the juice.

same can happen, if you water the peres after you grafted.

but too dry, is not good either, one has to develope a "feel" for things like that.

happy grafting! :)

Ahhh! Yeah, bit of a misunderstanding on my part there gilligan. That's what I figured. Doesn't seem like you or planthelper have any real difficulties regarding the use of un rooted stocks. Good to know. Was mainly concerned with loss of vigour in the growth as the stock may expend all it's energy trying produce new roots. Appears that is not a major factor though.

ph, yeah I know what you mean mate regarding the vascular bundle. Have you considered using glue to graft multiple scions to a large pedro's vascular bundle? I use glue quite a bit in my grating adventures. Sometimes it gives just that little bit extra hold when scions are getting knocked off or not fusing as well as they might.

This topic has really piqued my interest, thanks for the info.

i have never used glue, but i'm sure it works well for some people.

small scions don't need any, "holding down", and for larger ones, i use washers and nuts (thread metal stuff) or elastic bands and panyhoses.

the thing with multy scions on the bundle as said, has never worked for me.

I use pantyhoes and also glue. Pantyhoes are the shiz!!!

update!

post-70-0-35685200-1355624486_thumb.jpg

post-70-0-49021700-1355624576_thumb.jpg

this one was hard to capture and i'm still not happy with the outcome of the pic.

post-70-0-18737800-1355624621_thumb.jpg

post-70-0-49595500-1355624601_thumb.jpg

ariocarpus_agavoides_x_a_hintoni.JPG

loph_graft_superpedro.JPG

ario_lostlabel.JPG

ariocarpus_fissuratus.JPG

ariocarpus_agavoides_x_a_hintoni.JPG

loph_graft_superpedro.JPG

ario_lostlabel.JPG

ariocarpus_fissuratus.JPG

• Like 5

Wow really nice ario's there PH

the loph aint bad either ;)

Wow - super gorgeous grafts, man!

I've gott get into growing ario's and astros from seed - is it hard?

Per the penis plant on pedro - I have never observed the "slow-growing TBM" phenomenon that others describe - In my experience TBM's - both clone A and clone B - grow about as fast as a typical bridgesii - once they get going the clumping variety will put out a flush of pups that will each grow to maturity very quickly. They just need to be watered and fed right and they can be quite vigorous..

Edited by nitrogen