The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
doxneed2c-me

Aerial Roots?

How come my Dragonfruit and Scelenicereus grandiflora seedlings are shooting out a bunch of roots from aerioles?

It's pretty common for these species to throw roots from the middle of the stock or wherever they're touching something

Edited by Philocacti

All of my epiphytes regularly grow aerial roots.

I leave them on.

totally normal....when I take cuttings, I'll plant the aerial roots & leave the cut end above the soil...prevents any possible rot occurring.............

I also found the plants growth will accelerate rapidly if repotted into a wide shallow plastic pot with the aerial roots buried......small pots with the single main stem stall in comparison.

Edited by Dreamwalker.

plants that grow aerial roots use them to extract moisture and nutrients from the surrounding air, such as most orchid species.

I'm not sure if aerial roots on dragon are the same thing as orchid's...but I'm just guessing.

Dragons will swallow huge trees in their native habit...some really good pics out there...they throw out roots as they grow to gain a foothold in tree crevices filled with nutrient rich debris.

I know commercially they are grown on trellis, and seem limited to a few main rising stems.....but I'm just going on pics & vids I have seen ...they don't grow outside here.

I initially followed the recommendation of placing the cuttings upright in soil after the cut end had callous, they would grow really well, but tend to rot at the base as the season cooled. Now I grow 100's of cuttings for grafting & never bury the cut end just the side/aerial roots & they thrive.