The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kent

What would you have done?.

I live in the village of Dululu in Central Qld. where two highways meet at right angles but don't actually cross each other. There are two opposing stop signs but a lot of people ignore them and although I'm not always home, have attended 6 serious crashes in the last 10 years. No-one's been seriously hurt but I expect someone will be eventually killed. I sit out at night and watch dozens of them go through because there are no cops around. No crashes at night, probably because they can see the headlights. The cops got orange surrounds on the stop signs put up and a big warning sign further back. These crashes must cost the authorities tens of thousands each year which is avoidable if drivers concentrated better or stop deliberately flouting the law.

Anyway, a cop's directing in the middle of the intersection one day while the mess is being sorted out and a woman cautiously approaches and he waves her through. So she does as she's directed and goes through the stop sign and cops a big fine. I know the Government's broke but I think he should have warned her. He got

another one too. People have to break the rules when there's a problem on road and it can be confusing and dangerous sometimes. If he hadn't waved her she would have stopped and waited for instructions. What if the stop sign was ripped out, bent over or turned around?. Would she still be in trouble?. I usually direct traffic untill the local SES men turn up and I let drivers stop first so they don't make the mistake.

Kent.

damned if you do, damned if you dont.

That's the dumbest thing I've heard all day. Yeah that cops sucks and he was wrong to fine her but at least this isn't usa. In usa the cop would have broken her window, dragged her out of her car and shot her in the head.

Oh, to answer the question, I would take that matter to court where you would win if the judge wasn't completely evil, so 50/50 chance.

thats why i always make a note of the police person's name and number. if they don't show you it's a crime against their own future as they want to get promoted to top cop....der naturally :excl: