The Corroboree
Torsten

Forum upgrade happening in the next few days.

Since the upgrade, on a few occasions when I have clicked 'new content', I get an old topic coming up and it indicates i made the last post this morning. Yet the post was made back in june.

The topic that keeps coming up in new content for me is :

Nuclear power

in Sustainable Technologies & Ethical Living

Thought you might like to know T.

cheers - Tipz

That doesn't sound like something at this end - unless the same topic also happens for others this way. You might need to clear cookies, cache, the usual.

Hey T I got a question, whats the primary difference between the Seed & Plant Exchange forum & the new Classified's?

If a person had plants & seeds he wanted to sell, which forum would be most appropriate?

Looks to me that the Classifieds has more prominence, in that they're listed on the forum title page.

Should the classifieds be limited to anything other than plants & seeds?

Is there anything wrong with a person using both forums to sell their plants & seeds?

Any chance of adding third party pic hosting links to the Classifieds instead of uploading the pic(s) to the gallery?

How about a 'Preview Post' option for the classifieds, so a person can proof the classified prior to posting.

just curious, thanks T.

The classified are a trial to see if they can reduce the commercial traffic in the trade forum. Ideally I would like to see all money transactions go via the classifieds [excusively] and all non-financial trades via the trade forum [optionally]. That's the idea anyway. I want to let it run for a while to see how well it works and am not too fussed about rules at this stage.

I have nothing to do with the actual app, but can submit the requests to the developers. ie features that will benefit many other users will have more chance of being included than features that are only likely to be needed on this forum.

Why do you need preview? isn't the ad editable?

not happy about that, now if i want to trade, i have to use the classifies??????????????????????????

too much inovation for me, i hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think barring cash transactions from the trading forum all together mightn't work the best, but larger/bulk buys and more commercial things do seem to fit into the classifieds well. it seems that is sort of how it has already worked its self out, but a few more things could be there instead of the forum and i think with some time people will start posting more appropriate things there. overall i like i the features and look (apart from the current colours, but that isntr a big deal. will be magical when they are sorted going back to nice colours), feels more streamlined or something, easier for me to use.

also, although i used to like the ability to 'neg' bad posts i have noticed far less fights going on since they have been removed and feel that may be for the best after all

Edited by dionysus
  • Like 2

Probably not an app for it, but an auction feature in the classifieds would be cool, especially for donation auctions.

Overall though, good idea, keep cash transactions out of the bartering threads.

I'm going to give it a run tomorrow. Listing nude photos of myself for sale.

That doesn't sound like something at this end - unless the same topic also happens for others this way. You might need to clear cookies, cache, the usual.

Yeah the thread was popping up for me on new content also, saying tipz posted about 7ish am then I checked the thread and the post was done yonks ago :huh: weird as!

Dont know if its been mentioned, but the tagged keywords under each thread topic is a cool idea. With the limited hits so far Im assuming its only for threads generated since the upgrade. Do thread starters create their own tags or is it an automatic thing based on number of times a word/phrase is used in a thread ?

No idea how the tags work, sorry.

dionysus - I have not decided on the whole trade thing yet. It may find its own balance. the main aim was to take pressure off the trade forum

not happy about that, now if i want to trade, i have to use the classifies??????????????????????????

too much inovation for me, i hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you have so much negativity about the new features. We can't stay the same forever.

But in this case you misread. There is no change to trading. In fact, the reason for the classifieds is so that there is more room for trading rather than selling. Many/most forums don't allow selling at all, but we've always encouraged it. Now it is getting a bit too cluttered in that forum and hence the trading suffers. Sellers are much more aggressive at promoting their posts, so trading posts are often on page 2 before anyone notices.

As far as tagging is concerned... if used correctly it becomes an awesome way to index the forum.

They have to be put in manually and the more tags there are the more accurate the indexing will be.

It's best to use single word tags that can be easier to search for.

The only other forum i visit that uses them uses them more for their comedic value than anything else... and on that forum any user can tag a thread not just the OP.

not sure if it has already been mentioned, but can we get the "IPS community" banner in the top left corner changed to "The Corroboree"? I have seen other forums using the same software where it has been changed, so i assume IPS community is just the out of the box default.

thanks.

i used to click my memeber name and than, navigate from the drop down list which appeared, but now, since two or three day's.

the feature has changed, and it only says, what is on your mind.

is it just an issue with the pc's i'm using?

can other people still access the whole drop down list?

i noticed other changes aswell.

i guess, it's a bug on my pc, because the feature (the drop down list with what is on your mind on top, is getting shorter everytime i click it......

Edited by planthelper

Mine's working fine

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but when logging in - even if I tick the 'remember me' box the forum does not remember my login details. A minor gripe - is anyone else getting this or do I need to change some settings? I am 'remembered' on other fora and was 'remembered' before the upgrade here

Mine is always ticked remember me. I use to untick it, but have worked out that having it ticked as 'remember me' does nothing. I think it is a good thing. I dont want someone else logging on as me... they might post drunken rants of nakedness. So to answer your question oxydiser, it does not 'remember me' ,in my experience anyway.

that might be a browser thing. if you clear cookies regularly it'll clear the login cookie associated with the "remember me" setting. check your cookie settings in your browser it might be blocked for this site or something. you might also set a security measure specifically so this site can accept cookies/javascript etc i seem to remember IE being able to do that, not sure about firefox i use neither so.....

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but when logging in - even if I tick the 'remember me' box the forum does not remember my login details. A minor gripe - is anyone else getting this or do I need to change some settings? I am 'remembered' on other fora and was 'remembered' before the upgrade here

I use this and it works fine. You have to start typing the username and it will fill the rest.

i thought remember me and auto-complete are two totally different things

remember me should keep you logged in if your IP doesnt change / cookies aren't cleared, or something along those lines. auto-completion of text fields is a function of the browser.

An error occurred

The number of opening quote tags does not match the number of closing quote tags.

^ I just got this error sign.... odd? I have never senn this one before.

EDIT: never mind.. my mistake with the quoting. woops.

EDIT again: Yeah, i mucked up quoting and removed a bracket from the start quote, doh!

Edited by Amazonian

I discovered that last night. A great feature IMO.

Yeah, true. Before the upgrade, you were unaware of any mistake in quoting, until you post,then It's like .. Huh?!!...

It no makes it easier to hide being drunk & stoned while posting.

One thing that's beginning to annoy me is that ifI press ctrl-I to type in italics (or press the I button) it's like the cursor, for the purpose of using the "backspace" button, remains at that point in the sentence. So it might be three sentences later that I first use the backspace button, and suddenly it's deleting stuff up the top of the paragraph. It's weird. I used to just type in the tags manually because I'm fairly quick at typing and it's quicker to type them in than click on stuff usually, but I've found the new software to sometimes have issues with manually typed tags because the actual text entry box is not in plain text.

One thing that's beginning to annoy me is that ifI press ctrl-I to type in italics (or press the I button) it's like the cursor, for the purpose of using the "backspace" button, remains at that point in the sentence. So it might be three sentences later that I first use the backspace button, and suddenly it's deleting stuff up the top of the paragraph.

I type my tags and I don't get that :scratchhead: