The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Quelho

Catha Edulis ID

Question

I recently bought these as narrow leaf khat. The first picture I got a few weeks before the other ones. All from same vendor (SAB). All labelled as narrow leaf khat. It does seem like the only one with "narrow leaves" is a cutting and the others look like they are raised from seed. So do they only get narrow leaves when they get older? I'm just worried they are other types other than narrow leaf. Also, the superficial narrow leaf plant grows A LOT quicker and is much more tolerant to watering.

post-4273-128572605641_thumb.jpg

and the next shipment all looked like these.

post-4273-128572617565_thumb.jpgpost-4273-128572616666_thumb.jpgpost-4273-128572614326_thumb.jpgpost-4273-128572623812_thumb.jpg

post-4273-128572614326_thumb.jpg

post-4273-128572616666_thumb.jpg

post-4273-128572617565_thumb.jpg

post-4273-128572623812_thumb.jpg

post-4273-128572614326_thumb.jpg

post-4273-128572616666_thumb.jpg

post-4273-128572617565_thumb.jpg

post-4273-128572623812_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

I got a narrow leaf from SAB that looked just like my Vienna White and PH Catha Edulis plants when it was small. As it gets a little older the new leaves are coming out narrow but before that they were all round.

I got a narrow leaf from SAB that looked just like my Vienna White and PH Catha Edulis plants when it was small. As it gets a little older the new leaves are coming out narrow but before that they were all round.

Bread filter, thank you muchly! I thought it may have been like this, just didn't want to wait a few years to find out otherwise. +++

Bread filter, thank you muchly! I thought it may have been like this, just didn't want to wait a few years to find out otherwise. +++

I am very far from an expert and only have about 9 months growing experience so I may be wrong. Planthelper will know the definite answer.

My narrow leaf looks alot like the top one, not at all like the bottom one though. Not an expert, just comparing the pics to my narrow leaf.

does anyone have any pictures of a older narrow leaf khat plant?

I thought it was the only spp in the genus?????

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24941

it was the only strain, but now ther is planthelper's semi narrowleaved aswell.

i think the topic starters NL's are all NL's and he is right that the others are seedlings, and there leaves will soon go more narrow. i think sab is very good with labels, but i am not, so maybe i have sent you a PH instead of a VW dear bf. i have a system which avoids mixing different strains up, but maybe i have mixed up some strains in the past. but seriosly, i don't think it happend often, if at all.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24941

it was the only strain, but now ther is planthelper's semi narrowleaved aswell.

i think the topic starters NL's are all NL's and he is right that the others are seedlings, and there leaves will soon go more narrow. i think sab is very good with labels, but i am not, so maybe i have sent you a PH instead of a VW dear bf. i have a system which avoids mixing different strains up, but maybe i have mixed up some strains in the past. but seriosly, i don't think it happend often, if at all.

I haven't had any dramas with any plants I have bought from you. Quite the opposite in fact, every plant I have bought from you has been huge, healthy and very reasonably priced. I have 3 NL, 2 VW and 2 PH all from you and I am pretty confident at telling them apart now.

Thx Planthelper =)

Planthelper's semi-narrow leaf sounds interesting too =) Might have to get some cuttings.