The Corroboree
whitewind

Changes in Conciousness and the 100th monkey effect.

There are a number of people who are working very hard to help our society towards a shift in consciousness. I would like to discuss here the types of consciousness change that might be being created, and also what might have already changed.

Our consciousness changes on a day to day basis, and it is quite clear that our civilisation isn't the same as 20 years ago, when I first started playing on a laptop computer. When I was young this information was very difficult to get, and was always strongly flavoured by the giver. The internet didn't really exist until I went to college almost 15 years ago, I remember getting my first two email addresses - one of which I still have. Our reality has progressed by huge amounts as we have instant access to any questions we might have - so long as we know the right questions to ask.

So, our consciousness and reality develop over time. Most of these changes are small and incremental, more aggressively and quickly the younger we are, as our minds are so fresh. But rarely do we see this as consciousness change, we are so involved in day to day life we don't spend much time stepping outside and looking in. But our consciousness does constantly evolve, and quite quickly too.

But what about the larger shifts? Many of us can feel a nexus point arriving rapidly, and it makes us ecstatic and nervous at the same time. Will we be able to prepare for that event, or will it be so large that we can't cope? If we know about it, will we be the ones who have to guide the others who are totally unprepared? How will we do that?

But another question is on my mind. What if we don't realise it happens? What if it simply happens / is happening now and we can't really see it? What happens if those changes occur and no-one is aware of them? Reality just shifts, and everyone's consciousness also shifts, and it's as if it has always been that way.

The reason I ask this, is because I think that several enormous shifts of this nature have already occurred, but I can't explain what they are, because I forget not long after they occur. These shifts are along the lines of, 5 minutes ago the sky was green, but now it is blue, and furthermore it has always been blue - ask anyone and they will confirm this. Or that, yesterday, white tailed spiders did not exist but today everyone knows about them - and they have been in the media for years.

But that's just stuff on the physical field, it might be something similar as far as consciousness is concerned. Something akin to the 100th monkey effect, where our knowledge is passed on when it reaches a certain quantity, or quality, but no-one is ever really aware of it taking place. Except perhaps those who generated the change.

Our ability to engage with technology - especially communications - has increased dramatically as it becomes ever more widely available, to the point where even the older generation can now pick up and use a computer with ease whereas not very long ago this was an almost impossible task for many.

However, I think that our society has become less able to empathise and engage with spirituality as it grows, especially over the last century as the population has increased exponentially. The reason for this is the 100th monkey syndrome, where once enough people know a certain knowledge it automatically transfers through to the consciousness of the remainder of the population (although awareness of this is lacking, as has been discussed above). But as our population has grown, the number of people - as a percentage of the whole - who have been initiated in to alternative realms of consciousness has diminished. Perhaps it is simply our duty to engage with other people and discuss our ideas outside of the initiated, in order to increase the percentage of population to the point where a reality shift is inevitable?

• Like 3

Do you mean the green sky and white tailed spider things literally, or was that just an example?

I like the idea of discussing ideas about alternative realms of consiousness outside of the 'initiated' but unfortunately in practice I usually find people react along the lines of "weirdo" when I talk about dreams or synchronicity and "weirdo druggie" when I talk about plants.

I think many people are interested to some extent in these ideas but are at the same time deeply afraid of the ideas themselves and their implications as well as the social stigma.

• Like 1

Maybe it's not what you were talking about, but human consciousness has changed dramatically since the inception of the mobile phone.

When people meet, the dynamics of the meeting have changed because a lot of the time the people you are talking to aren't really there, they are physically there but their consciousness is somewhere else. Some people I meet will take many calls and text messages during the conversation and the face to face meeting they are having takes a back seat.

It annoys me to the point where I just stop trying to say anything as they aren't really listening anyway, then they get offended because I'm being rude. They cut me off to read and then send a text or take a call but I must give them my full attention - get fucked.

It's totally bizzare to me, Ive seen groups of people together and all or most of them have been texting or on the phone. Somehow the phone has become more important than the person in front of you.

Do you mean the green sky and white tailed spider things literally, or was that just an example?

In a sense, literally, as these ideas popped in to my mind as I typed, yet I do not fully remember what had changed, it's as if my mind forgot what had happened yet I remembered something incredibly profound had happened.

I like the idea of discussing ideas about alternative realms of consciousness outside of the 'initiated' but unfortunately in practice I usually find people react along the lines of "weirdo" when I talk about dreams or synchronicity and "weirdo druggie" when I talk about plants.

I have much better success discussing these ideas as if they are not plant / substance induced. Emphatically, if necessary.

I think many people are interested to some extent in these ideas but are at the same time deeply afraid of the ideas themselves and their implications as well as the social stigma.

There are a surprising number of people who are willing to discuss them. But these forums are pretty safe as far as chucking weird ideas about I reckon.

Maybe it's not what you were talking about, but human consciousness has changed dramatically since the inception of the mobile phone.

When people meet, the dynamics of the meeting have changed because a lot of the time the people you are talking to aren't really there, they are physically there but their consciousness is somewhere else. Some people I meet will take many calls and text messages during the conversation and the face to face meeting they are having takes a back seat.

It annoys me to the point where I just stop trying to say anything as they aren't really listening anyway, then they get offended because I'm being rude. They cut me off to read and then send a text or take a call but I must give them my full attention - get fucked.

It's totally bizzare to me, Ive seen groups of people together and all or most of them have been texting or on the phone. Somehow the phone has become more important than the person in front of you.

My partner would say something similar about the netbook I use! This is somewhat related to what I was saying (or trying to say) as far as use of communications technology. I think that we can find more information and more quickly too, but the price that has been paid is the lessening of "human" contact and empathy. And it's that kind of evolution - the lessening of empathy and human contact - which seems to co-incide with technology use that I am concerned about.

First of all we cut ourselves off from nature, then we cut ourselves off from each other. What happens when we cut ourselves off from ourselves?

its this same 'cut off' feeling that has much of the western world, reverting 'in the conscious sense' back to nature, and being more aware of everything now the knowledge is available. Ie . I will in 3 months hold a bachelor of information technology, and believe technology is a wonderful tool. A tool i now use to help me get my Diploma of horticulture which i will have in 9 months.

Yin and Yang people....

i don't remember the sky ever being green. great topic though whitewind, it's good to see this subforum get a bit of action as this is where i accumulated much of my whopping post count.

i imagine that "consciousness" can't be represented in simple 2 or 3D depictions like a set of steps. to keep it in the realm of the easily comprehensible, maybe a number of stairways which interlink at points, and each individual consciousness moves around on multiple staircases at once. i still find that quite linear but hey, consciousness swirls around the place and as in biological evolution, at times a "lower" path/branch will fair better than a more sophisticated one. which individual is best suited depends on what they have to be suited to IE circumstances/environment.

knowledge is certainly getting around thanks to the internet.

i'd like to think that we are becoming better able to care for ourselves, eg, self reliant for health and happiness. some big questions here are, what kind of diets, drugs/medicines, pastimes and sexual behaviours are the most appropriate. we don't know the answers and no doubt have to shed some old ideas.

i'd like to think that we are becoming self reliant in our spiritual lives eg inspired but not commanded by spiritual literature, institutions, etc.

i'd like to think we are becoming more ethical, AND, i'd like to think that in general we are becoming very intelligent and that some of our species, maybe about one in several hundred, has the right personality and upbringing that allows them to possess and APPLY an incredible, genius intellect to some of our questions and problems.

Its rather easy,

this most difficult of ideas.

As opposing sensibilities, must be regarded psychotically

in order be simultaneously understood

so too

the tension of seeming separate, or having a consciousness

that would adhere to linear constructs.. Now,

(any) constructs..

rather than simply being able to comprehend or percieve what is, as it is

is the lovely smoke and mirrors we are to blow purer, and see cleaner

in order to know the question and the answer are the same thing.

God is complete. The universe has already ended. And its still beginning.

There's no need to 'awaken' anyone. There is cause and effect, so it would seem..

but honestly, it appears like the best thing we can do to raise consciousness

is simply to BE conscious.

That's all that's needed. Get out of the head.. outta the questions..into the senses..

and as a fractal of the all, it might be noticed that a clear mind can navigate any world.

Conceive, percieve and relieve any possible idea. But its all just more fun.

The awakening needs nothing, and no1.

The horrible scale of the perfection, is of course mind shattering. So we keep shattering the mind

in order to be one with the universal will. The joy of knowing. Of being.

but the teething pains,

are just the tag-ends of delusion falling free. The pain of loss.. the sense of urgent, panicked and required action..

blah, its the sickness of our modern medicine. Distraction, and self inflated delusion.

I do believe we are to become Demi-Gods. Bust first we must truly become stewards.

As children first, to then mature.

Play with plants enough, and it ALL becomes arbitrary, i reckon. The ONLY important thing becomes about

heart and giving and service and sharing happiness and joy and good vibes NO matter what the circumstance.

Do we blatantly bring magick, to the muggles?

That's the pointed question, for me.

Edited by mud
  • Like 7

What has fundamentally been changing, slowly but surely, is the type of information storage that human brains have been using. Before, information (typically declarative knowledge, not procedural) was stored verbatim in the brain. Now, due to the availability and efficiency of the internet, and its perceived infallibility - there has been a shift to storing the where and how such that information can be relocated again when desired.

This is certainly not a new phenomenon, as books provided a similar (but not usually as convenient) service. I think that for smart people, who are able to store the knowledge, and where they found it - it's brilliant. But for people likely to just store "I can search it on google with such and such a keyword" - they might get shafted later on when they realize their intricate carvings into a bowl of custard have not withstood the test of time. ^^

• Like 1

I like the idea of discussing ideas about alternative realms of consiousness outside of the 'initiated' but unfortunately in practice I usually find people react along the lines of "weirdo" when I talk about dreams or synchronicity and "weirdo druggie" when I talk about plants.

It's funny I used to find the same, but over the last couple of years things seem to pop up in conversation with the people I would least expect it to, which usually surprises me, then I open up with my ideas expecting the 'weirdo' effect, and receive a response that is at least understanding, if not in-line with what I was getting at in the first place. Funny enough I work in mental health, and the lines between realms of consiousness and psychosis become increasingly blurred. Social stigma stands to be an issue that needs to be eradicated with the two, which is only possible, I believe, through education within the community.

Just my two bob.

Its rather easy,

this most difficult of ideas.

As opposing sensibilities, must be regarded psychotically

in order be simultaneously understood

so too

the tension of seeming separate, or having a consciousness

that would adhere to linear constructs.. Now,

(any) constructs..

rather than simply being able to comprehend or percieve what is, as it is

is the lovely smoke and mirrors we are to blow purer, and see cleaner

in order to know the question and the answer are the same thing.

God is complete. The universe has already ended. And its still beginning.

There's no need to 'awaken' anyone. There is cause and effect, so it would seem..

but honestly, it appears like the best thing we can do to raise consciousness

is simply to BE conscious.

That's all that's needed. Get out of the head.. outta the questions..into the senses..

and as a fractal of the all, it might be noticed that a clear mind can navigate any world.

Conceive, percieve and relieve any possible idea. But its all just more fun.

The awakening needs nothing, and no1.

The horrible scale of the perfection, is of course mind shattering. So we keep shattering the mind

in order to be one with the universal will. The joy of knowing. Of being.

but the teething pains,

are just the tag-ends of delusion falling free. The pain of loss.. the sense of urgent, panicked and required action..

blah, its the sickness of our modern medicine. Distraction, and self inflated delusion.

I do believe we are to become Demi-Gods. Bust first we must truly become stewards.

As children first, to then mature.

Play with plants enough, and it ALL becomes arbitrary, i reckon. The ONLY important thing becomes about

heart and giving and service and sharing happiness and joy and good vibes NO matter what the circumstance.

Do we blatantly bring magick, to the muggles?

That's the pointed question, for me.

Wow, much of that is pretty much what I was going to say, but a lot more succinctly. On the point of the infinite All That Is/Ever Was/Will Be; I was going to say the map has already been laid out, it's just our individual perception point is traveling along roads of the Probabilities/Possibilities (Probabilities = highways, Possibilities = laneways, and all in between), so that our perception is the only thing that is "stationary" it's only time that gives us the illusion of motion. BUT, I prefer how you used "fractals of the all" instead! Fractals seem to integrate chaos and sacred geometry more perfectly to me. I assume they'd have to be fractals in a multidimensional form... imagine what that'd look like!

On the other hand though I do feel this point in time (this year particularly, and already having started revving up for the last 1-2 years) is bringing one of those more Chaotic twists on the fractal. I've noticed a lot of changes throughout mine, my friends, and families' lives. Some I feel won't integrate whatever this is, some will, and all individual perception points in between filling the fractals every which way. I intend to TRY and stay flexible while choosing positivity to stay in the light of the fractal, but of course that can be hard.

As much as I respect Buddhism in many ways, I feel that to in a way ignore what the material world teaches our Soul (or whatever you want to call it) is kind of like defeating the purpose of exploring the sensational state of being material; of feeling. I also agree with what someone else said, that we're learning/growing to become "higher" beings, and that's personally what I also think is a large part of why we have to experience as many aspects of this plane of feeling and sensesbefore we can integrate the evolution of the soul better. Maybe the Machine Elves were once (absence of Time notwithstanding) a few fractal arms back from similar to ourselves, and they understand us better than we (our singular point of perception) do because they've been there, done that? Maybe we're all on the paths to future God-hood? God in the notion of a Source. If that be the case then Infinity just found a whole new definition.

Anyway, I'm starting to ramble and go off track now...

Perhaps the idea of a new pair of chromosomes (46 and 2) out of nuclear mutation doesn't seem so impossible. Given how much humans have tried to tame such an elemental force of this reality; given the nature of the sun so close to us; given to any number of accidents/"accidents" that may have or may yet have occurred; given to an infinite number of possible reasons. I find the fact of the Y-chromosome being so very different to the X chromosome fascinating; obviously the sexes have to have some differences in order to reproduce in the current system, but there's many other things which don't seem to have a purpose for their difference (colour blindness, that blood clotting disorder etc). Maybe the next evolutionary step is filling out the Y chromosome (or balancing between the x and y) and we all become self-reproducing genderless beings with a more balanced and better mind/heart/body integration? Gee I hope we can still have sex... I imagine in any case when such babies started turning up, we humanity as a whole don't destroy our next evolutionary stage out of baseless fear.

• Like 1

maybe female and male are more like two very similiar species, symbiotic, having diverged and out of necessity evolving to match each other... maybe the way we look at biological gender is wrong? two species in a way sharing a lineage of bodies... hard to explain but seeing the dna strand or genes as a continuous being or entity, with the genders as intercrossing species taking turns in each successive generation to be 'physical', sharing the temporal strand of life. i am finding this hard to explain... like two drivers taking turns to drive a car.

also, i like to ponder the possiblities of a species with three reproductive 'genders'.

i don't stand by any of these ideas of course, they just appeared in my mind.

hava....i like your theory.....even the most feminine of women will have musculine moments/decisions/feeelings in their lifes, and even the most macho bloke, will at times experience feminine feelings/emotions. (aenima)

The social shift and change in acceptepce of self and others, has helped to allow this to become more prevalent than ever, meaning that if you beleive in nuture as well as nature, then nature(us) will change as our nuturing on a global scale (socieity) changes.

This could lead to a natural (not through radiation) evolution of 46 and 2 (see below)

Perhaps the idea of a new pair of chromosomes (46 and 2) out of nuclear mutation doesn't seem so impossible. Given how much humans have tried to tame such an elemental force of this reality; given the nature of the sun so close to us; given to any number of accidents/"accidents" that may have or may yet have occurred; given to an infinite number of possible reasons. I find the fact of the Y-chromosome being so very different to the X chromosome fascinating; obviously the sexes have to have some differences in order to reproduce in the current system, but there's many other things which don't seem to have a purpose for their difference (colour blindness, that blood clotting disorder etc). Maybe the next evolutionary step is filling out the Y chromosome (or balancing between the x and y) and we all become self-reproducing genderless beings with a more balanced and better mind/heart/body integration? Gee I hope we can still have sex... I imagine in any case when such babies started turning up, we humanity as a whole don't destroy our next evolutionary stage out of baseless fear.

This is worth reading and researching, it's given me a better understanding of the world and of myself.

http://www.eman8.net/blog/?p=489

Introduction

In 1974, American professor of psychology Dr Clare W Graves wrote an article for The Futurist magazine titled Human Nature Prepares for a Momentous Leap. Graves described an impending change in human consciousness that would be, in his words:

‘…the most difficult, but at the same time the most exciting transition the human race has faced to date. It is not merely a transition to a new level of existence but the start of a new “movement” in the symphony of human history.’

His claim wasn’t just speculation though, it was based on seven years of field research plus almost 20 years of data analysis. Unfortunately he died before publishing his research findings and therefore his work remains largely unknown. Graves’ theory was used as the basis for the book Spiral Dynamics (Beck & Cowan, 1996) and most of his original research papers were eventually published as The Never Ending Quest (Cowan & Todorovic, 2005).

Dr Graves’ findings provide a credible map for what philosopher and psychedelic pioneer Terence McKenna called The Archaic Revival. According to Graves, humanity is indeed making a momentous leap in consciousness, which is characterised in part by the re-emergence of archaic themes. One of these themes is tribalism; not a regression to ancient tribalism, but the emergence of one global tribe.

Graves described human development as ‘an unfolding, emergent, oscillating, spiralling process’ marked by progressive movement upwards through increasingly complex stages. This upward movement is an adaptive response to our changing life conditions. So as our lives become more complex (ie more connected), we are prompted to develop higher, more complex thinking and behaviours in order to cope.

One of the special gifts Dr Graves brought to the field of developmental psychology was his ability at pattern recognition. He discovered that the same change process and the same stages of development can be seen in the evolution of our species, from hunter-gatherer to the present day; in the development of an individual from infant to adult, and also in the development of social groups. Like a fractal, the same pattern shows up at all scales.

edit: changed formatting on two key sentences.

Edited by Distracted
  • Like 1

Distracted, that's a fascinating website. As I read, it occurs to me that increased longevity also increases our ability to achieve the higher levels of consciousness and push the boundaries out even further. I also think the timelessness inherent in the psychedelic experience allow our unconscious minds to explore these levels and possibilities, catapulting us beyond the standard human experience. (Although, as I continued to read, it is impossible to miss a stage in consciousness development, it may be possible to learn so much in one short period of time it may be that it appears as if one of these steps is missed).

Edited by whitewind

Sorry I'm having mind spurts.

So how would this mutation take hold? Our population is so huge, if one person only had the mutation it would take a long time for it to spread in to the population. Perhaps the mutant ones are already spreading their genes, but how would you know? Who would they be and why are they hiding? Isn't it close to the time when they should show themselves - is it something like the TV series "Heroes"? Or can we tell who these people are just by what they write - and read - and if it's us then should we try to remain hidden but spread the knowledge - making anonymity in the internet a prerequisite for our survival?

Is consciousness spread the by genes or purely by memes - or both?

We already see a vast range of difference in our population, from the very smart to the intolerably dull, from the most empathic to the viciously ruthless, our species is so diverse it's quite amazing. While that diversity is useful now and has helped us expand across the planet, I sometimes feel that the diversity is too great and it prevents cohesion. Thus attempts to halt environmental destruction invariably fail, because there are too many people who don't understand what they are doing. But "doing" anything about that diversity is somehow contrary to our ideas of community and sharing information, exploring and breaking the rules of society.

We are obsessed with doing stuff, and obsessed with technology and knowledge. But doing stuff and increased knowledge leads to environmental destruction, but unless we can integrate this kind of thinking with our impulse to do and learn, we will extinct ourselves - unless somehow our scientific abilities evolve faster than we destroy nature.

Edited by whitewind

Is consciousness spread the by genes or purely by memes - or both?

Certain genes would enable more complex and differing types of conciousness no doubt. Culture, education and outside influence is the other part of the equation of 'self'.

I think using the word 'consciousness' like this, as if it were something to be spread like a virus is misleading. It is possible that EVERYTHING is conscious, with the only difference being difference itself. I find myself falling into the trap of 'human specialness', due to the prevailing religious influences of the last thousands of years.

How do you measure a ruler? How do you define good? Which way is up? Why is our conciousness better or worse?

It could be a trap to externalise a personal and subjective matter. You can only know yourself, 'I am'. Each of us may be a mandalic universe, a differing perspective in the web of all. Improvement is in your own eyes, so therefore improvement in others can only be judged according to yourself. You may not even recognise 'higher' consciousness as such because you just aren't there yet.. to you it may seem wrong.

When you are trying to improve your own consciousness (which is all you can ever really do) it makes sense that this will ripple out via your everyday actions and communications, bio-electric fields, quantum whatevers etc into the surrounding universe, affecting EVERYTHING.

There is really nothing to be done. Stuff just happens.

Be good. And yes, you alone get to decide what good is. Beware though, because as you get 'gooder' people get 'eviler'... I wonder how to pass this little obstacle? ;)

<3

Be good. And yes, you alone get to decide what good is. Beware though, because as you get 'gooder' people get 'eviler'... I wonder how to pass this little obstacle? ;)

The duality of our current mindset is an intriguing topic to me. Most of us have this tendency to split everything into two categories, good and bad, right and wrong, black and white, left and right. Do we really think reality is so simple, or are we just unable to fully see reality in it's full complexity?

My best guess is that this duality is due to the splitting of our brains from our hearts. Where once there use to be one cohesive organism, now it seems as if there were two. My brain and my heart, who battle and disagree about everything because they refuse to accept each other.

I think that the next step in our consciousness is to re-connect these two most vital organs of perception and to then begin again to reconnect to each other and the planet.

Everything is always paradoxical. Everything is good and bad, right and wrong, and never just one or the other.

Maybe humans' subjective standpoint on the view of "good"/"bad" is what differs our experience? Most animals don't really distinguish good from bad, only act on instinctual or learned behaviours. I get the feeling that our spirit consciousness when removed from earthly materialism also removes this duality with the inherant knowledge that simply all is All.

Awesome viewpoints.

Brain/Heart

Good/Bad

Humans/Animals

Spirit/Earthly

Inner/Outer

Simple/Complex

Richard Rose has written about what he terms "Jacobs Ladder" (if i remember correctly), the discovery of polarities, and then the merging of these via transcendence, each constituting a 'rung' on our upward climb

"Judge not, that ye be not judged".

I don't know the answer to good and bad, and I don't think I have the ultimate perspective to define good or bad in others. I can only operate via my own sense of good and bad. I have been trying to redefine the feeling of good and bad into harm/non-harm.

Help all / harm none.

Keep boiling ... and I think I am left with an ultimate guideline for life...

Love all.

We exist on a dualistic plane. Where the purpose is to experience solely, for the sake, of adding to the overall experience.

There is no duality - the duality is in our perception.

This is "The maya".

Duality is the illusion.

Our belief systems create our reality.

If we believe in the duality, then that will become our reality.

This is "The Lilla".

What a fantastic game it is that we are playing...

Edited by space cadet 101

Sorry I'm having mind spurts.

Is consciousness spread the by genes or purely by memes - or both? While that diversity is useful now and has helped us expand across the planet, I sometimes feel that the diversity is too great and it prevents cohesion. Thus attempts to halt environmental destruction invariably fail.

We are obsessed with doing stuff, and obsessed with technology and knowledge.

'Mind spurts' ...I like that ...like a mental solar flare.

Maybe we will never reconnect with nature in the way we used to. Life goes where it goes. Against much larger environmental pressures intelligence and the technology it produces can also be a liability.

Not everyone on the planet, by group, has the same genetic or memetic capabilities. Huge difference between Aboriginals in the desert and their relationship with nature versus Jewish bankers in America and their relationship with money. So it's not just the diversity of consciousness but the hierarchy of it, the convergence of it through race/culture mixing and the evolution of it via adaption. Genetic consciousness. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2113350/Why-individualism-free-thinking-genes-British-people.html

Beware though, because as you get 'gooder' people get 'eviler'... I wonder how to pass this little obstacle? ;)

This is interesting because apparently NASA did a study on the correlation between intelligence and aggression. The study was unfortunately never made public (I can think of quite a few reasons why) but some of the results were fairly obvious. I'll try keep it politically correct - let's just say there are certain regions of the world influenced or occupied by highly intelligent groups of people that are constantly at war on a large scale (and additionally the source of the world monotheist religions and complex concepts of good vs bad) and there are other groups of people on the planet that are generally not (and are generally more polytheist). All human groups have aggression but not to the same extent. The study was done by NASA for the purpose of using groups of people on earth as a case study to determine if extra terrestials were ever encountered and they were highly intelligent would they also be highly aggressive?

This is kind of unrelated but interesting: 'The origins of the human brain can now be traced back at least 600 million years, when we last shared a common ancestor with marine ragworms'

http://news.discovery.com/animals/worm-human-brain.html

Edited by botanika

This is interesting because apparently NASA did a study on the correlation between intelligence and aggression. The study was unfortunately never made public (I can think of quite a few reasons why) but some of the results were fairly obvious. I'll try keep it politically correct - let's just say there are certain regions of the world influenced or occupied by highly intelligent groups of people that are constantly at war on a large scale (and additionally the source of the world monotheist religions and complex concepts of good vs bad) and there are other groups of people on the planet that are generally not (and are generally more polytheist). All human groups have aggression but not to the same extent. The study was done by NASA for the purpose of using groups of people on earth as a case study to determine if extra terrestials were ever encountered and they were highly intelligent would they also be highly aggressive?

I think their study might be flawed. Surely an intelligence could be measured in terms of it's ability to co-operate with others - others of it's species, and others outside of it's species. This ability to co-operate and empathise with other people, other beings, would endow it with long term advantages that individualism can't conquer, and therefore this makes co-operation infinitely more intelligent than an inability to do so.

Throughout our entire history, humans have been controlled by the most aggressive of our species (the most intelligent, according to this study). But that aggression has meant that all the resources, all of the education, all of the power has been held by a mere 1% of the entire species.

Therefore, the collective intelligence of the 99% has been ignored, held back, not allowed to flourish, quashed by any and all means possible to ensure that the most aggressive (intelligent) have been able to retain their control. Occasionally the most intelligent get so aggressive that the situation becomes intolerable to the less intelligent masses, there is an uprising and everything is destroyed and needs to be rebuilt.

I don't call it intelligence. I call it arrogance.