The Corroboree
trucha

How to recognize a peruvianus

Question

If anyone out there still wonders if I am crazy or not...

I was wondering what features can reliably recognize a peruvianus.

Something I noticed. The peruvians from earlier in this thread has "wide" ribs. Is this a clone specific feature or just intense hydration?

Come to think of it, It would be kind of nice to see what the natural specimens in those pics looks like in the drier seasons. Definitely something I didn't notice before.

Edited by George

Something I noticed. The peruvians from earlier in this thread has "wide" ribs. Is this a clone specific feature or just intense hydration?

Come to think of it, It would be kind of nice to see what the natural specimens in those pics looks like in the drier seasons. Definitely something I didn't notice before.

I think it has something to do with the amount of sun it gets and the space it has for it's roots along with hydration probably has a little to do with it. The specimens in my Pics are just newly rooted so arn't Hydrated much and at the time of pics are in Shadier locations so that they don;t overheat from lack of root system. Now the Ancash and Forma blue are really starting to fatten up since I moved them into full sun. Unfortunatly they are still in pots so don't have the root space I would like to give them but next season I plan to put them in the ground so they can grow to their full potential.

Edited by sturmer88

(EDIT pic & post removed so not to confuse anyone as it was kindly id by M S Smith as cuzcoensis)

Edited by mac

100% T. cuzcoensis variety.

~Michael~

How about this one, found in New Zealand. Friend said it was short spined form peruvianus

post-4908-1244942869_thumb.jpg

r2.JPG

r2.JPG

Edited by blowng

post-4908-1244942869_thumb.jpg How about this one, found in New Zealand. Friend said it was short spined form peruvianus

Common NZ pachanoi

Edited by blowng

Okay then, i tried to remove picture incase it causes confusion , I read that the peruvianus' aeroles brown felt in new growth turning whitewith maturity, which this displays along with epidermal blue. PERU X PACH PERHAPS?

I had someone off SAB send me a clone of that exact plant a few months ago as part of an exchange and they also where told when they bought it that it was short spined peruvians...I sent them a PM and asked why they sent me a pachanoi when they said they where sending me a Peruvian...anyways it's not PC pach that's for sure ...I quite like this plant and it's deep green coupled with blue tinges give it somewhat of a nice strong appearance ...it gives me good vibes about taste too.

it's actually in my grow log labeled as SSP for now, so till I can properly ID it it will just stay that way for simplicity.

H.

Edited by Hunab Ku

What do you guys think about the whole "short-spined" peruvianus thing?

I think a peruvianus with short spines would just be a pachanoi! I'm very inclined to say T. pachanoi and T. peruvianus are different strains of the same species... I think they are THAT closely related!

I have peruvianus forms with shorter spines and some with longer spines, but they look unlike my pachanoi, including as pachanoi the plants formerly called short spine peruvianus.

I believe also that they are the same species, however the forms are clearly as distinct from each other as a poodle and a pug.

Thanks Mr.Smith!

:)

Here's my "Serra Blue" T. peruvianus from S.S.

pics110.jpg

pics119.jpg

pics109.jpg

i love the picture of the top, looks so cool the way the new growth is bulging through :), i love cacti and succulents, will have too get photos of some of my other ones too try and get IDs. Here is a picture of what i believe too be a baby peruvianus .

Good work guys :) great helpful ID threads, nice too see an overall contribution from the group rather than just one persons post/thoughts on the matter.

(sorta had too make this post been browsing for ages, not sure if you get kicked if you dont post or what the go is, so HI ALL)

post-6528-1254926418_thumb.jpg

post-6528-1254926494_thumb.jpg

I found this at bunnings the other day. Labeled Trichocereus Peruvianus. interesting

post-6058-12754597364_thumb.jpg

http://www.bpcfieldcourses.com/BPC%20Field%20Course/photos%20for%20BPC%20travel%20web/Peru/Lima%20Dept/14%20Trichocereus%20peruvianus,%20Matucana.JPG

real peruvianus tend grow in a rather pendant fashion, since this is rather unique it is unlikely that they are an ancestral form to forms which lack this trait

i have seen this trait passed along in some f1 progeny

If it is possible for you,

to identify the cacti on the picture attached below-

could you say, if the picture shows real Peruvianus cacti

or just one of the Pachanoi or Cuzcoensis variations?

Someone with the slice of a clue?

Thank you!!

post-6723-0-55936000-1299281300_thumb.jp

post-6723-0-55936000-1299281300_thumb.jpg

post-6723-0-55936000-1299281300_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vango

Clearly one of your standard T. peruvianus.

As it might be pertinent to this thread there is a debate about the issue of upright vs prostrate/pendant/decumbant growth for the interested HERE.

~Michael~

Well, thanks.

I've planned to start a little project at first,

about growing some cacti of the Trichocereus tribe-

using my hands, work over years,

many questions, but it's all for the garden ;)

So I'm new here to your place- Hello you,

I am very happy with your forum :P

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8619

i love how the B&R description says that peruvianus is like bridgesii with darker and stouter spines!

At present I recognize two primary forms of peruvianus, one is the fat blue phenotype, this is often prostrate growing, the other is the puquiensis form, typically upright and resembling Trichocereus cuzcoensis with some key differences.

The puquiensis is a lot like bridgesii in some ways, making it seem to fit the B&R description better than the fat blue forms do.

Edited by Archaea

Hi Guys, DONT use this Thread for ID Questions! These kind of threads should only contain confirmed ID´s so it doesnt get messy. I´ll leave your post in the thread for now but i rather think it is rather some kind of Macro. Maybe i take it out later. bye EG

A close up of one from my collection for ID comparision purpose...

gallery_6737_3_44534.jpg

• Like 1

if i'm right, from the top, a peruvianus would look like a hexagon

is this is a species? or a genus?

Forms of Trichocereus peruvianus.

1. This was given to me as small poor ass seedlings by a friend that thought them be pachanois and could not bother to care for them. This one turned out to be a true peruvian.

P1110072.jpg

2. This one was traded with a person who commented on the fatness and specialness of this clone. Indeed a good peruvian, too.

P1110073.jpg

3. This is 'los gentiles'

P1110074.jpg

4. And this is another seed grown, and in my eyes it looks like what I have in mind for macrogonus, now I dont know which of you feel peruvs should be merged with macros and which feel they should be merged with pachs, or maybe some feel both. I feel macrogonus is more linked with the typical peruvians, than the typical peruvians do with the typical pachanois. Of course this is inspired by my limited collection. Maybe I dont have many peruv-pach hybrids to confuse me? lol

P1110075.jpg

5. I also trade this with a dude that said this was the fattest peruvian clone for him, even though I was OK with a thinner cutting. Never repotted it in a big container, should happen next year. You might think its a little bit on the macrogonoid side, maybe, we'll see how it evolves.

P1110076.jpg

6. ICARO

P1110077.jpg

• Like 2