The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
franky

Apios americana interest?

i forgot about mine. it was still in the bag of coco coir from when i got it, planted it about a week ago and it come up a few days later

• Like 1

I'm keen to hear how people go with these in various climates, particularly the subtropics like me. If they do well and somebody is willing to spare a tuber down the line I'd be keen :)

• Like 1

they grow extremely quick, mines already outgrown the 1.5m bamboo stake, and its starting to grow out from the side now, thinking i might have to find a more permanent spot for it soon so it can climb and grow freely, im sure there will be plenty of tubers available in no time at all

• Like 3

What climate are you in Matt? NSW is a pretty big area :P

I prolly won't be after a tuber for some time just yet, as I still have no garden. But I'd love to be able to gift one to the local permaculture nursery so they can propagate it and spread it about.

mines on drugs fucken thing grows faster that morning glory

• Like 3

Still no signs of life from mine. They were sprouting very fast in the warm humid coir, but as soon as I planted them out they went dormant. I dug down to check out one of the tubers today & it looks fine, fingers crossed it'll send up some shoots soon.

lol bullit...its true :wink: ..

mines in a huge pot , and now gunna have to think about building some more trellis...lol

well I've knocked the mix out of the pot and there has been a small increase in tubers and the original ones larger.

Have put them into the ground this year in a permanent location :wink: Aiming to put a wire trellis up to get them to grow up and over the wood shed.

• Like 2

My vines took off just fine in the end, didn't flower this year, but no issues with rot despite being in a cold damp shady spot. Started to die back pretty early at the first hint of cold weather back in April/May, so I guess the growing season is pretty short here. Hopefully I'll be able to move them to a better location in spring, can't wait to see those flowers & munch on some beans!

• Like 2