The Corroboree
worowa

Mushroom growing course in Sydney

Milkwood permaculture are organizing this course in Sydney....

Learn to clone mushies on agar, make grain spawn, make sawdust spawn and dowel spawn, make fruiting substrates, inoculate logs...all with readily available materials.

http://milkwood.net/2012/03/30/making-sawdust-spawn-for-shiitake-mushroom-growing/

• Like 1

*books flight to Sydney.

It looks easy to follow going by the pictures in the link. Nice and hands on. I want one of those courses in Melbourne.

Would be nice if we had one in Perth to

• Like 1

not being cheeky or anything,

but i would have thought there would be enough experienced enough mushrooms cultivators on this site, to be able to have workshops running in each state.

i know i for one am thinking of something like this in the future. i just need a little more experience under my belt, and the one important factor , time!

But hobart also lacks an equivalent of some of the amazing communties that have come together in other cities.

Cheers, Ob.

Edited by obtuse

Looks good, but a tad expensive. Pretty much all the information you need to grow mushrooms is available in books or on the internet. Personally, I'd rather keep the $500 in my pocket and teach myself.

Obtuse and jwerta : maybe we should organize something...... :-)

That would be good what a Shame I don't know much about growing mushrooms but I'd be up for helping organise something

I love seeing pics of you doing it Worowa! I remember years ago when we talked about things like this.

I'm really happy one of us did it!

• Like 1

I love seeing pics of you doing it Worowa! I remember years ago when we talked about things like this.

I'm really happy one of us did it!

Thanks Watertrade! I wish I had some help...you keen? The Canberra Enviro Centre are keen to host a course soon.

Gets a bit boring working on your own, hauling 125kg sacks of rice hulls around etc., pouring hundreds of agar plates....

And my hops are ready if you want to do a mini-mash soon.

• Like 1

That would be good what a Shame I don't know much about growing mushrooms but I'd be up for helping organise something

I've been growing edibles for three months tops. I can't teach *much*, but I have a rough idea about some of the basics.

Looks good, but a tad expensive. Pretty much all the information you need to grow mushrooms is available in books or on the internet. Personally, I'd rather keep the $500 in my pocket and teach myself.

Good for you. Some people want to get started without hours of searching and experimenting-like I did. Stamets is great, but his books make it all seem too hard unles you've got a million bucks.

I would have done a course years ago-if there was one. Plus participants get lots of goodies to take home-like agar cultures, grain spawn, dowels, and ready to fruit bags.

not being cheeky or anything,

but i would have thought there would be enough experienced enough mushrooms cultivators on this site, to be able to have workshops running in each state.

i know i for one am thinking of something like this in the future. i just need a little more experience under my belt, and the one important factor , time!

But hobart also lacks an equivalent of some of the amazing communties that have come together in other cities.

Cheers, Ob.

Are you going to the Tasmanian Fungi Festival? Could be a good networking op. Some of my past students will be there. Wish I could go...

Yeah sorry mate, my comment probably came of as a bit brash as I had no idea that you were the one running the course. You are right as well: the time taken to learn everything yourself, combined with the many setbacks and speedhumps along the way, is just not worth it to some people. I know this all too well, as taking the cheap option has actually ended up costing me more in the long run with many of my projects. Anyways, the course looks good (and fun!). Best of luck with it.

Edited by TheExplorer

No worries.

All the info anyone needs is on my website for free. Check the links page.

I'll be runnig 1-day courses again soon, bit cheaper.