The Corroboree
Zen Peddler

First subs of 2012 season

Agaric of some kind.....

"Russula persanguinea" i reckon, was it fragile? dosnt look fragile in the picture, normaly the cap is about 5cm, this looks like a large one, maybe im wrong, found under a gumtree?

Okay well I had another look and it seems I've got two different species. Number one is this:

post-11233-0-41370500-1331259538_thumb.j

Looks like your rusulla, but I'm far far from an expert, and yes it was quite fragile, by that i mean very mushy and not firm like a lot of mushrooms.

The second has a red stalk:

post-11233-0-80905300-1331261485_thumb.j

Anybody know this?

Edit: Most of the ones of my property seem to have bites out of them. And yes, was growing in eucalypt environment.

post-11233-0-41370500-1331259538_thumb.jpg

post-11233-0-80905300-1331261485_thumb.jpg

Edited by mickeymush

I had the dream of mushrooms last night. They were tall and perfect and plentiful :)

Soon, very soon.

• Like 1

Amanita found yesterday!

So happy to see em. Last year, throughout all my patches- only one pin was discovered.

The rain just didnt time with the cold.

will upload later, when my phone camera gets its breath back

there are everywhere around here now. Saw some dude in a chinese hat picking today. He looked totally obvious

funny all this talk of dreams of mushrooms. I had one just last night; I found so many subs that I couldnt cary them all home. It was the ultimate dream dilema

• Like 1

I must say I have been sceptical about people saying they dreamt of shrooms or shrooms communicating with them in dreams when the season is starting. Since reading this thread a couple of weeks ago I too have had dreams (two) about lovely cubes, not subs as I've never studied them. Coincidence? I think not.

I must say I have been sceptical about people saying they dreamt of shrooms or shrooms communicating with them in dreams when the season is starting. Since reading this thread a couple of weeks ago I too have had dreams (two) about lovely cubes, not subs as I've never studied them. Coincidence? I think not.

If there is an object or topic that is consuming your mind, then you will most likely incorporate that object or topic into your dreams. There’s nothing supernatural about it! Its just basic psychology.

Anyway aren’t they still having days in the mid twenties down south? I find it almost unbelievable that there already popping up. All that rain a while back maybe??? Lol, you should have put that day’s newspaper in the picture, as proof it wasn’t a photo from last year.

• Like 1

Since reading this thread a couple of weeks ago I too have had dreams (two) about lovely cubes, not subs as I've never studied them. Coincidence? I think not.

As jabez said, there's nothing supernatural about reading a thread about mushrooms and then having dreams about them. But even if you hadn't read the thread, and had no idea when the season was supposed to start, it still wouldn't mean anything. You see, cube season starts roughly when sub season ends, so the majority of the year, it is either cube season or sub season. So, if you are willing to accept a dream about cubes to signify something about subs, surely you will also let a dream about cubes signify something about cubes, in which case you pretty much have the whole year covered in that if you have a dream about some sort of mushroom at some time during the year, you can link it to some event relating to a mushroom season.

• Like 1

i don't really dream about mushrooms anymore. i used to have crazy shroom dreams. i'm still looking for some of the landscapes i saw, they were that vivid.

Playin skeptic Ballzac?

Healthy!

How bout ye old 'can smell the mushroom' claim?

Or, " i feel where they fruit and they call me to them?

Last 5 years I have an epic dream, that corresponds with the first wild flush.

Though, more recently I've been able to quantify this with local, easier to observe patches.

They more than just a fungus.. ! Seeming to suggest that any array of weirdness is possible.

C'mon rain!

Agreed with Jabez.

Further, if you seasonally incorporate habitual or compulsive behaviours into your life (such as scanning wet garden beds), then these second-nature behaviours will naturally carry over into dreams. It is actually one technique designed to enhance your chances of lucid dreaming. Every time you look for fungi, ask yourself if you are dreaming. Sooner or later the answer will be yes.

I've had fungi dreams. But not for a couple of seasons now.

What we think about, may just think about us.

I see a rainbow shroom in the sky.

Would love to see something like this slightly photoshop enhanced.

Path is the stem, cap is in the rainbow arc, veil is in the shadows on the ground.

post-7023-0-43416800-1333265659_thumb.jp

post-7023-0-43416800-1333265659_thumb.jpg

post-7023-0-43416800-1333265659_thumb.jpg

Edited by mud

Anyway aren’t they still having days in the mid twenties down south?

Yeah, stupido Melbourne and its four seasons in one day. It WAS getting cold, and was wet too, but then in comes a few days in the high 20's... Doh!

Southern tablelands last friday. Pretty dry and quiet out there...

post-10608-0-68361600-1333950224_thumb.jpost-10608-0-83531500-1333950228_thumb.jpost-10608-0-53164600-1333950232_thumb.j

post-10608-0-68361600-1333950224_thumb.jpg

post-10608-0-83531500-1333950228_thumb.jpg

post-10608-0-53164600-1333950232_thumb.jpg

post-10608-0-68361600-1333950224_thumb.jpg

post-10608-0-83531500-1333950228_thumb.jpg

post-10608-0-53164600-1333950232_thumb.jpg

We have been out at the uberzone this weekend, it was pretty dry and unproductive. A bit too warm too, i was wearing just a singlet till after midnight.

If anyone in Brisbane is heading out for a walk so i can see some growing in there natural environment please allow me to tag along ;)

Hi All,

Loving the cold snap here in melb's today!Had a hunt about 10 days ago an 1 hour nw of melb for zero returns.Going to check out a new area on the mornington peninsula tommorow, that looks like a bit of a fungi wonderland ,(from net research).Gotta love scoping for new patches!

Anyhoo, here's hoping for a great season for everyone.4th season of hunting about to start and can't wait to view the MYSTERIOUS subs again.

Tis the season of the sore neck!

Edited by sub standard
  • Like 3

Back again,

Found a prime area with heaps of button grass at altitude on the peninsula.

Plenty of inactives on display which augurs well for a future scope.

Temps seem to be feeling right though!First finds last year on April 15th

and that seems to be about the right time for us- mere mortal- hunters.

I will (hopefully) pop my cherry this year. Never found a shroom before. had a half ass wonder about last year that didnt amount to much other than a good walk. i do enjoy the hiking, especially that good sore feeling the next day. might get me some decent hiking boots. been a lazy city dweller too long.

is there any field guides or book i should get my hands on? something that can explain things to me like im 5.

Hey Mooms, try get an experienced person with you on your 1st hunt.

The main rule...if in doubt throw it out.

There should be a squillion pics in the archives somewhere.

Good luck, first find is a great milestone.

• Like 2

And at the end of the day be confident in what you picked.

Very unlikely your intuition will let you down.

Or that of our magic little friends.

Arsea

Post 'em up here or on another mycology forum too! Even if you think you're sure, grab some outside advice.

• Like 2

No disrespect Arsea, but i find your advice disturbing.

its either the right mushroom or it isnt. and if it isnt it could be deadly, a slow painful death at that, organ failure, etc.

Anyone hunting for mushrooms needs to get educated on ID and be 110% sure, this is one instance where you dont want to 'just be confident' or 'just follow your intuition'

• Like 5