The Corroboree
Slybacon

Quotes of the day.

Deep down in our non-violent creed is the conviction there are some things so dear, some things so precious, some things so eternally true, that they're worth dying for. And if a man happens to be 36-years-old, as I happen to be, some great truth stands before the door of his life -- some great opportunity to stand up for that which is right. A man might be afraid his home will get bombed, or he's afraid that he will lose his job, or he's afraid that he will get shot, or beat down by state troopers, and he may go on and live until he's 80. He's just as dead at 36 as he would be at 80. The cessation of breathing in his life is merely the belated announcement of an earlier death of the spirit. He died... A man dies when he refuses to stand up for that which is right. A man dies when he refuses to stand up for justice. A man dies when he refuses to take a stand for that which is true. So we're going to stand up amid horses. We're going to stand up right here in Alabama, amid the billy-clubs. We're going to stand up right here in Alabama amid police dogs, if they have them. We're going to stand up amid tear gas. We're going to stand up amid anything they can muster up, letting the world know that we are determined to be free!

- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Selma, Alabama, 8 March 1965

"I pulled this right off the youtube vid pages in someone elses post and pasted it here, cause it belongs in your mind"

• Like 1

"The meek do inherit the earth, but they tend to inherit very small plots, about six feet by three."

- Robert A. Heinlein

• Like 1

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

• Like 1

Passive acceptance of the teacher's wisdom is easy to most boys and girls. It involves no effort of independent thought, and seems rational because the teacher knows more than his pupils; it is moreover the way to win the favour of the teacher unless he is a very exceptional man. Yet the habit of passive acceptance is a disastrous one in later life. It causes man to seek and to accept a leader, and to accept as a leader whoever is established in that position.

Bertrand Russell
British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • Like 2

A flower does not think of competing to the flower next to it. It just blooms.

Zen Shin

• Like 1

^^

Co-flowering plant species frequently share pollinators. Pollinator sharing is often detrimental to one or more of these species, leading to competition for pollination. Perhaps because it offers an intriguing juxtaposition of ecological opposites – mutualism and competition – within one relatively tractable system, competition for pollination has captured the interest of ecologists for over a century.

From: New frontiers in competition for pollination Randall J. Mitchell1, Rebecca J. Flanagan2, Beverly J. Brown3, Nickolas M. Waser4,5 and Jeffrey D. Karron2

Competition for Hummingbird Pollination and Sequential Flowering in Two Colorado Wildflowers
Nickolas M. Waser

The simultaneous flowering of co—occurring plant species with similar pollinator affinities may result in interspecific pollen transfer and consequent fecundity reductions due to wastage of pollen, stigma surfaces, and effective pollinator visits. In such cases competition for pollination occurs and may lead to or maintain sequential flowering. Two common perennials in the mountains of west—central Colorado, Delphinium nelsoni and Ipomopsis aggregata, flower sequentially in the same meadows and are visited commonly by Broad—tailed Hummingbirds (Selasphorus platycercus). Hummingbirds carry pollen of both species and their exclusion from flowers leads to significant seed set reductions. During the brief period of flowering overlap between D. nelsoni and I. aggregata in natural meadows, hummingbirds visit both species, carry mixtures of their pollen, and appear to cause interspecific pollen transfer. Flowers of both species receptive during this period suffer significant seed set reductions relative to those receptive during nonoverlap periods. Interspecific pollinator flights and pollen transfer also occur in mixtures of potted plants, and seed set reductions consistently occur for both D. nelsoni and I. aggregata in such mixtures relative to single—species controls. Finally, seed set reductions occur for both species following interspecific hand pollination of potted plants. Fecundity reductions in natural and synthetic mixtures of D. nelsoni and I. aggregata indicate that the 2 species compete for hummingbird pollination and suggest that the competitive interaction involves interspecific pollen transfer. The observed reproductive effects represent a selective force sufficient to maintain divergent flowering times of D. nelsoni and I. aggregata in nature.

Relations between simultaneously flowering sympatric plants that are closely related may involve competition for pollinators, interspecific pollen loss and hybridisation (e.g. Feinsinger, 1987). The divergence of genetically based floral phenotypes that influence pollinator assemblages and behaviour is driven by selection against these processes. However, floral convergence may be favoured if it eads to a higher rate of flower visitation for all species concerned (Schemske, 1981). Sympatric hummingbird-pollinated plants may face selection pressures against simultaneous pollinator sharing. The mobility of birds combined with high energy needs may result in them visiting several widely scattered nectar sources in a single foraging bout (Stiles, 1978). Many Heliconia species are sympatric; however, the number of naturally occurring hybrids is small in proportion to the number of sympatric associations (Kress, 1983). The interactions of

Heliconia species will probably select for a divergence in flowering, in time and space, between the species concerned (Stiles, 1979). Mechanical isolation may occur through deposition of pollen from different species in different places on a given type of hummingbird

through variation in corolla morphology and positioning of the anthers (Stiles, 1975, 1979;Kress, 1983)

From: Do Sympatric Heliconias Attract the Same Species of Hummingbird? Observations on the Pollination Ecology of Heliconia beckneri

And H. tortuosa at Cloudbridge Nature Reserve, Joseph Taylor, University of Glasgow

I do understand the metaphor in the initial quote, however!

A flower does not think of competing to the flower next to it. It just blooms.

Zen Shin

Mr Zen is wrong...flowers/plants are at war...see Davids time lapse doc's ...nature is a battlefield where the fallen are consumed...

“What's this war in the heart of nature? Why does nature vie with itself? The land contend with the sea? Is there an avenging power in nature? Not one power, but two?” - Private Edward P. Train:

"There is no cure, for being a cunt"

"You cannot polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter"

This is the life advice my father always gives me:-

"Keep your Mouth shut, and your bowels open"

- Roy Alexander Chenhall

Former Masonic Lodge Grandmaster

After all that time in the Freemasons that is the best life advice he can offer his only son! I've questiined it many times and he always gives me this stupid look, best interpretation I can come up with is to go about your own business and keep yourself regular and you won't have any problems? He's the reason why me and my sisters do two bowel movements a day. If I don't do at least one a day I get scared something is very wrong! Even with just one I start questioning my health. He instructed us to do at least two a day since we could walk, he does three EVERYDAY!

Edited by incognito

"I am not a racist!" - Pauline Hanson, 2015

Edited by DiscoStu

I bought a pair of shoes from a drug dealer today, i dont what he laced them with but ive been tripping all day

• Like 5

drinking metho is just sad life is about overcoming obstacles

Big Red 2015

*bravo brother.....bravo

• Like 1

"A mujaheddin fighter once told me that fate give us all three teachers, three friends, three enemies and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we can never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them or fought them."

Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts

• Like 1

Life is random process but we can add a narrative to it.

Jarvis Cocker of Pulp fame.

Getafix

• Like 1

"Material wealth = Pleasure = Happiness = Reason for Living = the notion on which the whole Australian way of life is based".

Ronald Conway - The Great Australian Stupor: An Interpretation of the Australian Way of Life (1971)

how do you know where you are going if you don't understand where you have come from

be aware of social cues and mores in your existence

I like this one from Ethy

-just because replies haven't been thick n fast in the affirmative to your theorizing , doesn't necessaily mean no-one here cares or understands you , or even that they're asleep because they're not arguing your point the way you see the world and how each paradigm fits into that. I've read so many wondefully worded and DEEP shit on sab over the years, that it rivals published works in some cases.....bloody not as dry that's for shiz. Personally, i'd say, some people here know what you are saying, have probably explored the presented ideas in their own time previously but naturally, would rather, skip, run, twirl and dance to the beat of their own drum when it comes to these matters. So just because someone for example, does not want to fill in a space on your dance card, does not mean that you should stop airing your views for discussion. How many times does a thread metamorphosize like some organic creature flapping it's wings for the first time here in sabland.... and in the end -the seeker finds at the very least- some answers to their question. Alot of the time you need to knead that dough thoroughly before it's ready for the oven tin. -quote from etherealdrifter

• Like 4

Yeah Eth is ahead of his time for sure.

At the risk of of turning this into the Drifters' quote of the day I have to add one too.

use it as a todger protector when you go bungy jumping with vines as ropes around your ankles in PNG.....once again the paint brush is a ciggie holder .

• Like 3

living is dying by loving

my bed is a pile of leaves

Wild Bill Hickok: Some goddamn time, a man's due to stop arguing with hisself, feeling twice the goddamn fool he knows he is because he can't be something he tries to be every goddamn day without once getting to dinnertime and not fucking it up. I don't want to fight it no more. Understand me, Charlie? And I don't want you pissing in my ear about it. Can you let me go to hell the way I want to?

"Fuck the EU" - Victoria Nuland

• Like 3

"Fuck the EU" - Victoria Nuland

I'm in the EU and I fucking agree.

He lost more games of monopoly than any one man ought - Homer Simpson