The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
waterboy 2.0

"Dob in a Dealer" Hotline

New hotline to name and shame ice dealers as PM Tony Abbott vows to push for tougher penalties

PRIME Minister Tony Abbott will today announce a national “dob in a dealer’’ hotline ­encouraging members of the public to name and shame drug dealers to police.

Describing the ice epidemic as the worst drug scourge the nation has ever faced, the Prime Minister pledged to hold talks with the states to ­introduce tougher penalties for dealers.

The dob in a dealer hotline will be based on the Victorian Crime Stoppers hotline that ­encourages local residents to confidentially report information regarding those manufacturing and distributing ice and other drugs. NSW has also recently tested a campaign to dob in ice dealers.

“Ice is the worst drug scourge that we’ve faced,’’ Mr Abbott told The Sunday Telegraph.

“The fight against ice and ­illegal drugs can only be effective when the community and law enforcement agencies work together. Information from the public is an essential part in helping police and other agencies bust drug manufacture and distribution.

“To encourage the ­community fight against the ice epidemic, the Commonwealth Government will establish a national Dob in a Dealer ­campaign.”

Mr Abbott said Australia had faced successive waves of illegal drug epidemics, but ice was “by far the worst’’ because of the impact on but the mental health of users and the propensity to violence that it causes,

“It is a drug which is devastating families and communities right around Australia and it is important that there be a national mobilisation against it,’’ he said.

“People have asked us to examine tougher penalties for ice-fuelled attacks on emergency frontline workers, which some states have moved towards, and we looking at working with the states on this.

“I’ve also talked to Minister Keenan about increasing the focus of our National Anti-Gang Squad operations in regional areas, because we don’t want organised crime, bikie gangs and criminal drug syndicates infiltrating our regional towns and community and sporting groups.’’

Independent Senator Jacqui Lambie this week revealed the devastating impact ice had on her own family with her own son in the grip of the drug.

“I am a senator of Australia and I have a 21-year-old son that has a problem with ice, and yet even with my title I have no control over my son,” she told Parliament.

“I can’t involuntarily detox my own son, because I am not talking to my son anymore, I’m talking to a drug.

“And I can tell you, I’m not the only parent out there. There is thousands of us.”

Parliament recently passed legislation to crackdown on middlemen and drug couriers bringing precursors into the country to make Ice. “We have also changed legislation to manage the proliferation of dangerous synthetic drugs at our borders,’’ Mr Abbott said.

“As well, we are working with the states to improve the capacity of law enforcement agencies to take action against suspected criminals with unexplained wealth.

“Australians can be confident that the Government is providing our law enforcement agencies with the powers and resources they need to keep our community safe.’’

Critics of the Dob In A Dealer hotlines including Matt Noffs of the Noffs Foundation have raised concerns that the push will only lead to “low-level users facing court and going to jail’’.

“The big players rarely seem to get swept up. The courts and jails are full now and the cost is almost breaking the bank. Invest just one 10th of that money in treatment and early intervention programs and you could probably cut the prison budget by 25 per cent,’’ Mr Noffs said.

http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/new-hotline-to-name-and-shame-ice-dealers-as-pm-tony-abbott-vows-to-push-for-tougher-penalties/story-fnii5s3x-1227485096980

How to start a war...

No one wins with this type of approach.

Fckwits

• Like 6

They don't want to win
They want to demonise and spread fear and paranoia to distract from the crappy things they are doing,

Edited by tangled
  • Like 4

What I find really sad is that action is generally only taken to real or perceived problems when it starts impacting the lives of politicians, from small things like Hockey not being able to get an extra chair and pull tables together outside a pizza shop due to council regs so he has a hissy fit, all the way to their families being impacted by the war on drugs be it cancer and access herbal alternatives or addictions within their families.

It's a pity money and education benefits can't be fully restricted from offspring of these people 'cause we might actually get action on housing affordability and *gasp* move towards free education. But we wouldn't want an educated, healthy population with a roof over their head that they own now would we.

• Like 2

How to start a war...

No one wins with this type of approach.

Fckwits

Several companies stand to win an enormous cash bonanza. They are branches of multi billion dollar international corporations. We've let them in and now they need to be fed and grow like all corporations.

GEO Group Australia Pty. Limited.

G4S Australia Pty. Limited

Serco

• Like 1

I'm thinking people will only bother dobbing in big time ice dealers, weed dealers/smokers will be largely overlooked.

With four break-ins in 2 months, my neighbours and I have had enough of ice users. We'd all be better off without synthetic drugs in society, but it should be treated as a public health problem, not some sort of witch-hunt. Dobbing in small time users is pretty callous IMO.

• Like 2

Meth is bad. Meth is destroying peoples lives and familys. I dont know if i'de dob in a dealer but i wish someone had dobbed mine in before i had my meth induced delusional psychosis and nearly killed myself. Nuff said.

• Like 1

I can see where you are coming from HD , I've been living in the middle of that sort of culture for years.

I don't think I would have it in me to dob someone in though, if I did it would affect a lot more people than just the dealer or user.

When they bust someone they sometimes have kids and the impact on them would possibly outweigh the impact on the person they are busting. To have your door kicked in and see your parents dragged off by gun wielding police in flak jackets is going to have a serious psychological impact on any child. Chances are that the kids involved will develop a deep seeded hatred for our justice systems and the cycle will self perpetuate.

From my outside perspective the people with the worst problems are those with childhood baggage that haven't got the maturity to accept it and deal with it.

Something needs to done though, but this type of political grandstanding isn't the answer.

• Like 3

People have had the opportunity to 'dob in a dealer' since at least 1788 in Australia.

Is this new? No.

Is this just another 'announceable' from a government that is desperate to win votes through an anti-drugs scare campaign? Yes.

• Like 5

Could be undermined by high volume troll traffic, i.e. reporting high profiles, dropping misinformation. They don't have the resources to deal with that. A never-ending supply of lols.

• Like 2

we should dob in abbott and hockey for dealing in pure bullshit

• Like 12

How about a reward system that motivates dealers to shop themselves up the chain :scratchhead:

Independent Senator Jacqui Lambie this week revealed the devastating impact ice had on her own family with her own son in the grip of the drug.

“I am a senator of Australia and I have a 21-year-old son that has a problem with ice, and yet even with my title I have no control over my son,” she told Parliament.

“I can’t involuntarily detox my own son, because I am not talking to my son anymore, I’m talking to a drug.

“And I can tell you, I’m not the only parent out there. There is thousands of us.”

There are just so many things wrong with this statement. Respect my senatorial authoritah, or I'll involuntarily detox ya! WTF? And you mean to tell me that drug users have parents? Really?

• Like 2

^ she looks like a bloke I used to play football against. He was a dumb prick too.

It's no wonder her son turned to drugs, if she were my mum I'd be looking for something to help me deal with her bullshit too.

It all seems to be about control from that statement from Lambie, If you raise a child properly then by the time they reach 21 trust & respect should be higher priorities.

Edited by Sally
  • Like 4

After having over 30 people visit the house next door yesterday and being kept up all night with their bullshit again I can see why people get sick of ice users and dob them in.

If it was just one or two rowdy neighbours you'd go and say something to them but what do you do when it's a mob of juiced up fuckwits ?

Edited by Sally
  • Like 1

I don't like meth , or the illicit drug trade - [ all drugs should be decriminalized and available at reasonable cost for those who need them , without stigma ]

Nevertheless , dobbing is un - Australian , and very , very dangerous indeed to the snitches ..... .

[ dead finks don't talk too well ..... ]

• Like 1

I dunno. If there was a scumbag dealer on my street causing all kinds of shit attracting shit to the street id dob em in, in a heartbeat. I like my tranquil, peaceful little town.

Especially ice. Ive had to deal with to many icefiends lately in my voluntary work (you try sedating one of these fuckers when they doing their block), last thing I want is methheads walking around my street. It is an epidemic. if u think its not ask any ambo or cop, these guys deal with it everyday, and speaking from experience its not a nice drug to have to deal with when things go bad. Which it does. I don't scare easy, but raging methheads scare shit outta me.

^^^

You're probably right in what you are saying about dobbing in dealers in your neighborhood , but in a perfect world there would not be any of these creeps dealing at all ....

What I am saying is that drugs ought be available and regulated , with the focus being on harm minimzation . Nothing else can have a chance of success while such enormous profits can be made from drugs as at present . Anti - drug laws are simply a god - send to criminals , and in fact create the illicit markets and drug problems in our society .

• Like 2

I dunno. If there was a scumbag dealer on my street causing all kinds of shit attracting shit to the street id dob em in, in a heartbeat. I like my tranquil, peaceful little town.

Especially ice. Ive had to deal with to many icefiends lately in my voluntary work (you try sedating one of these fuckers when they doing their block), last thing I want is methheads walking around my street. It is an epidemic. if u think its not ask any ambo or cop, these guys deal with it everyday, and speaking from experience its not a nice drug to have to deal with when things go bad. Which it does. I don't scare easy, but raging methheads scare shit outta me.

It's not always that simple though Incog.

If you are one of the only ones in a district in the middle of an ice epedemic and you are not on the gear yourself, you are already under suspicion. When they get on that shit they are very paranoid and suspicious of anyone not doing it with them. That's how it is for me anyway.

If they get busted they go looking for someone to blame and often get it wrong.

Street justice around here is dealt out with baseball bats by a group of balaclava clad ice heads in a house invasion at 3 am in the morning. Either that or a fire bomb through the window while you sleep.

Edited by Sally

we had operation Noah to like no a drug dealer man im old

Edited by Bigred

we had operation Noah to like no a drug dealer man im old

You may recall the cop who started off the Operation Noah farce - Barry Moyse , formerly the head of the S.A drug squad - was convicted and jailed for recycling drugs [ inc heroin , speed , and cannabis ] that were seized in the dob -ins .....

[ IIRC , he served 8 years , but had a much longer sentence . ]

Edited by Heretic

Something along the lines of what incog said... my doctor is a very well respected one and she fears dealing with meth tweakers. So thats not cool at all, to have doctors that help us fear for there own health and safety. Not cool. Meth sux!

• Like 2