Just put down approx

100 bridge

90 Pach x psycho0

60 Rosie #1 x Pach

Heaps ( 400?) spachianus

90 werdermannianus

120 cuzcoensis

70 L. Williamsii

All to go under lights on heat for the winter. See you at the end of the year little guys!

• Like 2

I think you people are crazy with trichocerei !! - I mean it in a good way and also in a way I wonder up to what point Trichocereus obsession is a meaningful habit, I also wonder how come people sow so much trichocerei and nothing much else....

I think you guys should sow more terscheckii [and relatives and synonyms] and taquibalensis [and relatives and synonyms]. I also think you should get more cacti genuses - besides the countless other treats, having non-tricho / non-lopho cacti is good for reducing the paranoid thoughts that might come from having too many of the same trichocereus cacti...

anyways, on topic, and sowing cactus seeds:

A weeek ago a sowed most of my Astro seeds I had in stock, most are from my own plants, some are somewhat special, like "4 rib myrio X 4 rib myrio" , and few pots are T.terscheckii.

I was very disappointed to see they rate were shit, and then I realised the spot was overly too bright for them, and it got intense summer light at mid noon. Thinking the worse had already happened, I decided to move at a shadier spot... I was delighted today to see a couple of them from various potlets sprouting, meaning I didn't waste them all.... In fact I hope I only delayed their germination

PS: In my limited experience, perlite as a top cover for the seeds has worked better than smallish/light gravel, but this might just be me.

Anyone else who uses perlite to cover the cactus seeds in a sowing?

• Like 1

OMG - I planted 180 a few weeks ago and thought I was king shit.

I am a newbie btw :lol:

Starting up:

Coryphantha greenwoodii

C. macromeris

C. macromeris ssp. runyonii

Echinocereus fendleri

E. reichenbachii ssp. perbellus

E. scheeri var. gentryi

E. stramineus

Echinopsis obrepanda

E. rhodotricha

Epithelantha micromeris SB1327 (most northern selection known)

Gymnocalycium gibbosum var. nigrum

G. striglianum

Lobivia ferox var. longispina

Pediocactus simpsonii var. indraianus

P. simpsonii var. nigrispinus

Sclerocactus glaucus

S. parviflorus

Entheogen nuts should recognize six of those.

• Like 2

I like your selection, Auxin! Am getting more and more into sclerocacti, Coryphanta and Echinocereus too. Have sown a lot of multicolored Echinocereus hybrids this year and will probably sow down a lot more soon. Have sown some of the SB1327 this year too. They are from SS Stock right?

I got some seed from my coryphantha elphadidens, heaps of seed in a disgusting green mess like vomit. I thinkIwill sow it, but all flowers are yellow shit, stilldont have a purple flowering yet.

I have got some seed off my 3-rib myriostigmas now, and thinking of sowing that too

Echinocerei are awesome too

SB1327 Is being sold by Mesa Garden, it was found in the wild right near them in new mexico

Despite trouts negative experience I still think the Coryphanthas will find some neurochemical utility with all the interesting looking synepherine analogs in them.

• Like 1

Thats really Interesting, Auxin. But discussing this here would lead too far. :wink:

Edited by Evil Genius

Hi ! Im sowing mad this season! Ive sowed hundreds of seeds just this week and just ordered 500 more. Hahaha.... Im going to have to turn my living room into a cacti room in a couple years! If 50% of them make it to adulthood i will be overrun with cacti... WOOOHOOO!

Heres my list..... M. Prolifera 50

T. Pachanoi 100

T. Bridgesii 100 (yup a Bridgesii head)

T. Peruvianus unknown 100

E. Occulta 40

T. Peruvianus Matucana 40

T. Peruvianus kohres 20

And these are in the mail.

T. Peruvianus Huancabamba 20

T. Peruvianus Ayacucho 20

T. Fulvilanus 20

T. Chilensis 20

T. Peruvianus Tarma 100

Wow! Ive gone seed sowing MAD! I turned my outdoor laundry room into a cactus room and do laundry at the laundry mat now! Im planing on installing a couple 4 foot shop lights in the living room for use during lengthy inclement weather (It is super hot humid during my summer with 165 cm rain per year and the area can have damaging cold a few times over winter months). There are times when im scrambling to dry my adult plants out and try not to leave em out over the winter months.

Hunab, i feel your pain! biggrin.gif Thats the Disadvantage of sowing out large packets with 50 to 100 seeds! Most of the seedlings survive and soon you´ll be running out of space. And time! bye Eg

Edited by Paisano
  • Like 1

Some coryphanthas are awesome condidates for areole grafting ;)

Just sowed;

8- Epithelantha micromeris

10- Turbinicarpus swobodae

30- Turbinicarpus lophophoroides

60- Turbinicarpus mixed seed- cant wait to see what comes up!

I swear this only happens when I'm short on pereskiopsis

post-146-0-03502900-1341368739_thumb.jpg

Echinocereus fendleri JRT152

100_3950.JPG

100_3950.JPG

• Like 2

I swear this only happens when I'm short on pereskiopsis

Are you saying you need some pereskiopsis??

Would you prefer rooted or fresh cut?

But no, I have like 25 rooted - its just that all that are big enough to graft to right now are intended for a different batch of seedlings, lol

If this critter stays vibrant pink until I start getting nervous about its survival it'll get a stock, a smaller one since most pinkies just turn green in the end.

T. Huarazensis x t. Bridgesii.

T. Huarazensis x t. Ayacucho.

T. Ayacucho x t. Huarazensis.

T. Puquiensis x t. Huarazensis.

T. Scopulicola x t. Puquiensis.

T. Puquio x t. Scopulicola.

T. Puquiensis x t. Ayacucho.

T. Scopulicola x t. Bridgesii.

approx 60 lophs

were sown out and also few other straight ornamentals

• Like 2

are you doing something in particular with sowing turbinicarpus? I am finding they are pretty sensitive seedlings. maybe I should use some other soil than with the rest of my seedlings?

Hey mutant, I don't know if you were asking me about the turbinicarpus?

I have always thought turbs were great & in the past few weeks I have been lucky enough to be given some seed & traded some seed with other generous members. (Thanks to all involved)

I planted the seeds in Chinese containers filled 3/4 with sifted seed raising mix & then a few mm of propagating sand ( both were soak with boiling water).

The seeds were pressed lightly into the sand.

I put the containers in a mini green house (38cmL x 24cmW x 18cmH), with 2 pieces of 50/50 shade clothe on top of g/h.

This is in my cupboard, 35cms under 150w metal halide light.

So far 4 T.swobodae, 3 T.lophophoroides & 16 T.mixed have popped up!

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

If the T.mixed mixed came from DooDabides, keep a look out in there for the odd little Lopha will showing its self ;) lol

• Like 1

Sounds interesting 2Deep, when I looked in there this morning there is a pink seedling, just like the one in Auxins photo, post #112.

I'm watching with anticipation!!

Just sowed some interesting seeds.

Ariocarpus lloydii

Ariocarpus lloydii form Ball Lanatus

Ariocarpus lloydii cv Tuhami Gray

Ariocarpus fissuratus var fissuratus cv MV007

Ariocarpus fissuratus X lloydii

Ariocarpus fissuratus var gracilis (Terlingua Mexico)

Aztekium ritteri

Strombocactus disciformis ssp jarmilae "form pena miller' (Mexico). The smallest seeds I have ever seen.

Hope they go ok..... fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Already planning the sowings for the next season. Some major changes this year in regard to the containers i use. Use smaller ones from now on and only bring down 100 seeds per container at max. Quadrangular containers as i found out round is spacewasting shit. Plan to sow like 300-500 diffrent types but havent decided yet about the maximum amount. Only one sowing out this year as the ones i planted later havent grown big enough for a safe overwintering. Will be sowing out Trichocereus & Echinopsis Hybrids, multicolored Echinocereus Hybrids and some Copiapoas.

Btw, tried some very large particle bird sand to sow out this year as a test which was a total desaster. Particles were too big for the seedlings to dig their seeds in and im still in the process of repotting what was in the 50 containers in pure sand. Best Results this year were with standard sowing soil and very fine particle bird sand. I think i will go with 50 % sowing soil and 50% bird sand next season.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1

Sowed some more Arios today.

Ariocarpus furfuraceus HT2

Ariocarpus furfuraceus 100F "green form"

Ariocarpus furfuraceus caespitosus groupT2

Ariocarpus confusus ZG10

Ariocarpus confusus San dolores Mexico

Ariocarpus retusus La palomba Mexico

Ariocarpus scapharostrus

• Like 1

Just takeaway tekked some dragon fruit and pilosocereus fulvilanatus. I've run outta room under lights so I'll see how they go outside.

Edited by madhouses visites

Pereskiopsis sure seems to love well composted maple leaves in the soil mix, to mark the new orgy of growth I started SS01 x bridgesii and some straight bridgesii.

More green popcicles :drool2:

• Like 1