The Corroboree
ThunderIdeal

low-carb promoted on ABC

i immediately thought "fat or fiction" would be an attempt to label as fad, and completely trash the low carb approach. it was the total opposite, with those who offered criticism actually being completely fair and even-handed about. the majority of the time is used promoting the idea, particularly as a treatment for diabetes, with the national heart foundation and some australian diabetics group conspicuously refusing to be interviewed.

i was surprised at what i was seeing on tv! considering how that aussie celebrity chef has copped it for promoting high fat low carb eating.

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/lowcarb/default.htm

the guy who wrote the book on carb-loading has done a complete u-turn, which really says something IMHO.

• Like 3

I wanted to see that. I've done it a couple times and it worked well. It feels like a very natural way to eat, hunger is greatly reduced and energy is greatly enhanced.

I still ate the odd piece of bread and a small amount of mixed grains with minimal processing or cooking.

My diet in PNG is a low carb - high veggie- moderate protien diet, combined with short sharp exercising like climbing steep hills. I lose weight so fast and feel great! I don't even try to be 'healthy' or anything, it's just how it is up there. It also reduces all my body's aches and pains and makes my seizures disappear ( a mild form of epilepsy). There's no doubt in my mind that it's a very good diet, -it's natural, almost a caveman diet, perfectly tailored to the human body.

As soon as I come back though, the daily grind and poor diet starts to take effect again.

I think there's probably good and bad versions of a low carb diet, so be careful.

• Like 2

that's HD running amok, proper jungle party-hat style.

I wanted to see that. I've done it a couple times and it worked well. It feels like a very natural way to eat, hunger is greatly reduced and energy is greatly enhanced.

I still ate the odd piece of bread and a small amount of mixed grains with minimal processing or cooking.

My diet in PNG is a low carb - high veggie- moderate protien diet, combined with short sharp exercising like climbing steep hills. I lose weight so fast and feel great! I don't even try to be 'healthy' or anything, it's just how it is up there. It also reduces all my body's aches and pains and makes my seizures disappear ( a mild form of epilepsy). There's no doubt in my mind that it's a very good diet, -it's natural, almost a caveman diet, perfectly tailored to the human body.

As soon as I come back though, the daily grind and poor diet starts to take effect again.

I think there's probably good and bad versions of a low carb diet, so be careful.

the aches and pains would be the inflammatory effect you can get from grains/legumes, i reckon.

and yes when you follow a low-carb diet you usually fall pretty close to a caveman or "paleo" diet by default, which of course confirms what you say, that it's a very natural way to eat, unless you refer to the last ten or so thousand years of human existence and ignore the million-odd preceding them.

you're pretty much spot on about everything including the advantages of sprint workouts as opposed to gruelling cardio, but i think you might be confusing grains (which are all seeds) with seeds (which are not all grains). grains are always processed which is why cavemen never ate them, the exceptions being corn and maybe oats?

i'll just mention that legumes share the same properties as grains (potentially inflammatory, high in carbs) but to a lesser extent. they aren't usually considered "paleo".

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 1

been preaching it for years like a broken record hehe

• Like 1

How interesting!!! wonder if the paleo diet has by default degraded due to the GM of particular foods that make up some of the dietary needs...

Paleo is a good starting place, but the advocates tend to miss the mark a little.

If your perspective is "how can I get the most nutrients into my body", as opposed to a dietary philosphy (ie what did paleolithic man eat, veganism, etc) then you should naturally swing towards high "good" fats and healthy proteins. Yet it should be light on the bacon, which contains a higher amount of pro-inflammatory omega-6 fatty acids, compared to grass-fed beef and lamb.

Is it possible to be a vegan and still eat for perfect health? I think so, but you need some specific supplements.

Personally, I try to live by "one life provides for many." So the more of 'just one animal' I can have in my freezer, the better. So long as that animal was healthy, then it is healthy for you too.

• Like 1