The Corroboree
bℓσωηG

Have you seen any cool movies lately??

I have just watched an old but very disturbing movie called Chapter 27 . It is about the loser who shot John Lennon . I remember seeing the news on a newspaper bill- board , and the paper sellers calling out , as they did in those days . The entire city [ Melbourne ] seemed to be in shock ... I was working at the Grainstore night club at the time , and it was a really quiet and subdued evening - nobody was partying that night ... seeing this movie has caused me to realize that celebrity can have its drawbacks ; not only do they have to cope with paparazzi and stalkers , but there might be some nut out there waiting to kill you ....

There are some really good aussie flicks out there, two hands, chopper, dirty deeds or even ‘10 canoes’ (which is totally unique & brilliant), springs to mind. But there are also some really twisted ones that do my head in big time. I can’t stand movies that have meaningless violent or sexual acts in them, or just sick & twisted shit in general.

Started watching this Aussie movie the other day called ‘snowtown’. Couldn’t even get half way though it, absolutely vile! What kind of sick twisted individual would want to watch something like that is beyond me. I don’t care if it was a true story or not.

Personally, I only like watching movies that have a little class. I'm probably a bit of a mainstream movie guy, lol.

• Like 1

10 canoes was absolutely fantastic! A pure piece if master videography

Snow town I thought was rather insightful. Needless of the story, the filming and acting was great!

As you can tell I'm an Aussie film lover

A great old Aussie comedy is "Hercules Returns". Slow to start, but one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. I laughed so much that I gave myself a headache.

Four and a half out of five.

• Like 2

I don't enjoy many movies, but Bronson was the best film I have seen for at least several years. A 2008 release, which I only discovered a couple of months ago.

+1 Sunchaser.. Dirty Deeds was a top movie

Yeah an insanely great recent movie. "Warriors of the Rainbow"

• Like 1

Just watched another couple of what I think are great Australian movies, Welcome to Woop Woop and Sleeping Beauty.

Also a great Swedish movie called 'Let the right one in'

Cheer

Getafix

• Like 1

THE ACID HOUSE

• Like 2

one for the romantics

• Like 1

The year my voice broke had not seen it in so long old but great

and Noah Taylor is one of my favorite actors

dirty club sluts

• Like 2

Cloud atlas. .

Going to start the book today. .

• Like 2

"Exit through the gift shop"

...a must watch for those interested in art especially street art, a documentary by Banksy, fuckin brilliant!

• Like 2

great thread, just checked synopsis of alot of whats posted and i'll definitely be watching them, also i'll throw in 'the burrowers'

I absolutely loved "The Way Back" inspiring stuff

you know, i watched "the avengers" thinking "pfft, hollywood blockbuster i'm way too hip for this", but i actually enjoyed it. not the best movie i've seen but yeah, it was fun.

exit humanity - a zombie movie but i was better than i thought. unexpectedly so.

michael - a movie about a pedophile, i hoped it would be more engaging than it was.

cloud atlas - seen it twice, second time was better. hopefully third viewing will tie it together (i.e. has promise, but overly ambitious)

the jacket - very good, worth it

manic (2001) - worth it too, but not brilliant

fantastic mr. fox - i've grown a liking for wes anderson, (director of the life aquatic, fantastic tenenbaums et al.)

moonrise kingdom (see above)

lucky number slevin - medium, don't fret if you don't see it? aka meh

the samaritan - interesting, but not brilliant

the tall man (2012) - had bad reviews, i didn't think it was so bad

compliance - hmm, it was ok, but i can't get past the fact the characters are so fucking stupid. i mean bordering on mental retardation stupid. and the fact it's based on a true story just makes it worse. why are they so retarded?

Edited by qualia

Django Unchained!!!

Ah that was a massive disappointment ! I think the Tarantino magic has left the building forever.

Not sure if I have posted in this thread before about the film, but Machete (2010) is a wet dream for fans of glorious, deliberate B-grade schtick, in the Tarantino mould but with more action. The cinematography is stunningly executed, and there is a solid, slightly complicated storyline. I cannot say that for 80% of mainstream movies of the present era. DIrected by one Robert Rodriguez, Machete hosts an all-star cast in a very non-commercially viable movie format. The leading role is by bit-part tough guy, but the supporting actors include Robert De Niro, Lindsay Lohan and some interesting characters portrayed by lesser legends Steven Segal, Cheech Marin (of Cheech & Chong [in] fame), Don Johnson of 80's TV show Miami Vice, plus the two central female characters, portrayed by Michelle Rodriguez & Jessica Alba.

Machete is a great work of art, don't let the premise of violence turn you away from watching it. I urge any fan of Tarantino to watch Machete !

Here's a trailer....

• Like 3

^^Love it Psylo,

Hell Ride, it a pretty good Tarantino movie, it has a few cacti in it & some peyote eating.

Bah, Machete has way too much Hollywood BS and then there is Steven Segal the most useless actor ever.

Worth watching once though.

For B-grade schtick Australia did it way better on a fraction of the budget with "Bloodlust".

http://twitchfilm.com/2011/02/watch-hewitt-and-wolstencrofts-bloodlust-now.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+TwitchEverything+(Twitch)

• Like 1

God Bless America (Bobcat Goldthwait) is the best comedy to come out in ages IMO. Do yourselves a favour and rent this one & while your there you should bundle this one with idiocracy(Mike Judge)

• Like 1

AGORA

I missed the first half an hour but i loved this movie. It was set in near Judea in about 400AD. Loosely it was the story of Hypatia a intelligent before her time mathemetician, astronomer, teacher, politician who made astronomical discoveries and ideas.

Also the Christians, Jews, pagans and so all clashed for supremacy. In equal parts they would lay traps and stone each other in absolutely brutal scenes. Eventually, the Christians killed or ran everone out of town and then decided to go for the romans too. Eventually the whole story was a mixture of child friends, murder, acts of deception, politics, science, religion, human emotions finally culminating to the roman ruler getting a massive stone to the head, his friend the bishop playing mind games, eventually making the whole city kneel to christianity, The heroine Hypatia doomed herself by sticking to her morals, she knew she was going to die for it.

She was captured and stripped naked, as they decided whether to skin or stone her a slave who loved her, that had raped her many years before of whom she showed mercy and set free came to her and suffocated her to spare her a cruel stoning pain death. As she dies, her last thought is the purity of the circle above her, purity and maths.

It really made my night, loved it plus it was a true story. Enjoy.

Fantastic Planet.(La Planete Sauvage)

The Long Kiss GoodNight

Trainspotting

Adaptation

Contact

Donnie Darko

Spun

Boogie Nights

Enter the Void

The Fly

A Scanner Darkly

Dark City