The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

teonanacatl

Why would anyone have a cat as a pet!

Do actually have a cat so not hating on the cats here...

Getafix

haha, the "dog lover"comment has been removed. it was a bit of a joke aimed at the serious dog lover, the type who hates other animals perhaps for odd reasons. if you type "dog lover torrent" into google guess what you might find =P if you type "cat lover torrent" you dont seem to get such material. Years ago i noticed that while researching the odd aspects of human nature. so i thought, it would make some sense to me that those who will attack cats in lue of their love for dogs, might, just might be a tat odd. I love all animals, as a child i was widely known as "Harry Butler". geez, thats going back.. so, of course im against people harming them becaue "it's on my property" or "i dont like them" etc. Over the years of working with and for plants and nature as a whole, observing nature, i have come to loose all such though processes. So i was totaly shocked to see such could exist in this type of community. My deep and hard to grasp jokes aside, I believe it is only OK to kill for food. no other reason. thats just my personal view.

as a bloke who lives out the sticks and witnesses regularly the carnage feral cats do in my environment, I shake my head at some of the comments in this thread.

yes I kill feral cats.....I don't eat them..... I do check for a collar when I scope them up though just in case in the unlikely event its a domestic. No collar = dead cat

I use to be amazed at some peoples lack of understanding of the extent of the feral cat problem within the Australian environments and the diversity of issues surrounding them in the environment, and always have a chuckle at the "...my cat wouldn't kill argument.."...lol....they can't help themselves they are hunters at heart....sad thing is most domestics are "joy" killers when presented the opportunity to molest a lizard, small birds or the likes.

As put initially I live out in the scrub, not urban.....If I ever ended up back in a city/town I wouldn't be shooting the neighbours cat.

I have been paid to professionally shoot them on farms, and this is due to them being a host for Toxoplasmosis....this causes miscarriage amongst sheep herds if the mothers are exposed, toxo also affects bandicoots badly....

I'll also admit I do not understand the attraction of them as a "companion" animal.

Man I love patting a cat on my lap! Especially a Ragdoll the cutesy damn things!! I've read a few articles how a cats purr has a destressing effect on humans, which I can believe. I also like the fact that cats are their own person so to speak, you don't have to bathe then in attention like you do a dog. I certainly appreciate cats for the awesome creatures they are.

what about mozzies, leeches and marsh flies. those are dead if they get too close. self defense.

Some People just LOVE pussy :)

Cats are like people they adapt to there environment. It is peoples fault that we have feral cats and dogs that decimate our native wild life.

yeah, im aware of all that cat in the wild thing, seen to much on that i think. also, seen allot of dags get out and do the same thing. in fact, a pack of dogs represent the biggest threat to native fauna. they are and have always been the greatest of hunters when in packs. not much gets away. they also show this in urban area's. escaping to meet up with other dogs who escape too, then they go about the neighbourhood posing a serious threat to almost everything. cats, kids, adults, birds, snakes, you name it. ive seen much more harm comming from them than any cat, out bush and in city's. just to put this into perspective. i have also, out while living in longreach (thats the bush mate), seen the worst acts of creulty to dogs and other animals, by "dog lovers". so please excuse me if i seem just as concerned with that "i live in the bush mate, you just dont get it, i see the damage they do, so i kill them. its to save our environment blah blah blah" mentality. those creul acts i saw, are the only time i have ever wanted to shoot another man. i had a 32cal revolver in hand too at the time, loaded with factory rounds. i knew as much as anyone else would, nobody would ever find his body out there. did i do such, hell no. I'm not "that kind" of person.

edit- i find what humans can justify very scary.

http://newsroom.unsw.edu.au/news/science/stop-poisoning-dingoes-protect-native-mammals

Wild dogs are the apex predator in most Australian ecosystems and in the presence of wild dogs native animals thrive because they control cat and fox populations.

I see where this thread is heading, Im out!

lol...if thats how you see it ghosty (as my comment was not directed at you ).

Dogs got nothing on cats IMO and IME, and yes have also culled dogs...

I'll just remain one of those "that kind" of person in your eyes, but hey you dont know me either

EDIT -funny enough I have never considered shooting a human.....

lol...if thats how you see it ghosty (as my comment was not directed at you ).

Dogs got nothing on cats IMO and IME, and yes have also culled dogs...

I'll just remain one of those "that kind" of person in your eyes, but hey you dont know me either

EDIT -funny enough I have never considered shooting a human.....

haahaa. that's the sort of answer i'd expect from you WB!

Still reckon when this shitter goes to hell in a hand basket my biggest problem will be finding the right duffel bag to accommodate you and all the cross bows. ..your a pisser mate!!!

I think Water boy raises a good point. You really cant compare cats out bush to the Russian Blue in the flat next door.

As ive said before, i have cats. I don't disagree with culling of FERAL cats. But i do have a beef with the "if your cat shits in my sand box, ill shoot the fuck out of it" people.

These are really two completely different discussions. Cat culling is normally carried out by sane individuals for logical reasons. Metro cat shooters on the other hand are deranged individuals who are in need of some serious "heeling" IMO.

hahahahah yeah its alrite if waterboi says he culls cats but when I said it in the other TOPIC

u were bouncing all over me Foo.

anywho if my kid was a serial killer I would still love her FUCK YAz

stick to reading people

hmm am i to go to "hell" LOL. thats not not the goal i seek. nor how things look =) but i wont go into that. thats my personal business. just so you know, ive heard all the condeluded justification's people will offer. all this i saw out bush was whilst hunting pigs. i have done so with dog's and knifes (this was the time i had my only temptation) and of that i dont expect any of you to understand, you had to be there, and with very high-powered riffles, both iron sights and scope. I'm a very good shot and know guns well, i have even made them as a kid at 22cal. i recon i could offer a fine challenge to the best of "shooters". my thoughts on all have since changed. i dont expect anyone else to come in line with my beliefs, i just like to offer reason to force others to think differently.

thats scary bullit. reminds me of the mother of a pedo i reported recently.

thats scary bullit. reminds me of the mother of a pedo i reported recently.

ok I will hold back on that 1 for now .

my ''TAKE'' on this was on cat owners [lovers] and how they protect them even if they kill everynite.

I have noticed that domestic cats seem more likely to kill for fun when raised with cat toys (string on a stick ect). What I mean by kill for fun, is that they will kill but not actually consume their kill. I have also seen this with domestic dogs, they kill a chicken but don't eat it.

Does any one know if the feral cats or dogs perform pointless kills or only kill for food and territory?

My dogs kill for fun and for food, the only difference is if I feed them/ how much I feed them. If they kill something it might not get eaten that day but normally in 3-4 days when they get hungry. They also kill and bury food, shit they bury food I give them haha.

thats a very good question "the ban man".

hahahahah yeah its alrite if waterboi says he culls cats but when I said it in the other TOPIC

u were bouncing all over me Foo.

anywho if my kid was a serial killer I would still love her FUCK YAz

stick to reading people

I don't recall directing anything at you in the other thread. I think i said something about people who brag about killing cats having tiny nuts. If you can identify with that, its hardly my fault.

Edit: just checked. The post you are referring to in other thread contains this quote "While i don't disagree with feral cat culling (by responsible adults)"

For serial yo, this is definitely a worthwhile topic of discussion all points bought up and i do like how it has stayed civil. For the most part though these arguments as justifiable as they do seem and they are in a way do not really measure up the untold amount of change homo sapiens have done and more so are doing right now to whole bio regions of extremely vulnerable and diverse ecology, systems we barely grasp and the impacts of such we are just starting to understand, obviously this argument for and against is largely an extrapolation of thus.

Feral animals do cause large amounts of damage to the native environment that is really a given and its not just cats/dogs... rabbits were thought to be a great species to introduce at the time and there proliferation and various extermination projects caused huge economical but more so ecological degradation, foxes which im fairly certain were brought over to control the rabbits? although that didnt quite pan out as expected with other sources of easier prime game ripe for the pickings and all lol. cane toads etc Tis a long and wrought history and not just a modern phenomenon we can touch on how ancient civilizations mowed down whole forests of trees ( another sentient being depending how you rate awareness :P ) for fuel, housing, nautical endeavors etc with some fore thought to longevity and future generations some forests were replanted others lost to environmental degradation bought on from the various sources man made and or natural. The current foresty industy well not for the most part heh but in some instances realized that we could not continually mow down old growth etc for wood and as such plantations were designated for future economic viability. But even recently we have seen the impacts of thus with bush fires wiping out plantations and protected old growth areas with continually changing climate and bio-regional interjections such as land clearing or not having regular burn offs/rainfalls/rising arability of areas etc interesting example that wasnt really in the news as such, as it was in south oz - as it was a local incident although had a large impact on the local forestry industry, were the large fires that burnt for almost 2 months in and around the port lincoln area in sa in the summer of early 2014, large plantations were destroyed and talk was of abandoning them due to the future uncertainty of similar incidents which makes future viability extremely uncertain, the impacts are social flow ons, job availability/uncertainty, and the other social impacts from that which could be job losses, recession of local economies and than the human/socialital impacts of self esteem etc and not being able to provide for the family/family breakdowns/ suicide etc.

We can flow onto human rights issues as it is largely the same issue albeit most people seem to think that hurdle has been overcome in some kind of distant past... circa 1967 was the referendum which if anyone cares to look at was a mass sham of epic proportions, pretty much gave precedent for the commonwealth ( of England mind you, which we are a colonial extension of) to legislate with respect to indigenous Australians... which btw they already did although not offical writ. basically it gives the state the power to determine the sovereign and national rights of a race of given people, excluded for especially special treatment and control from the state and or by extension of the crown. Its not that far removed a generation today (ie 50ish years). When Italians first immigrated here they were given the same treatment forced into immigration/asylum camps apart from the current society if such a undertaking was implemented today outrage would pour out of all parts of the country as the Mediterranean populous has been for the most part assimilated although again not completely as the close ties of community and more so family were especially well not as much understood here etc.

Life is valuable yes but to what extend should we shape the world... and its weird as its not largely anyone's fault per se although some could certainly be more accountable than others but thats not the point nor the argument rather its that we have largely failed within our understanding of the congruent nature of life, how various systems are interconnected to a large degree and have a certifiably noticeable flow on effect to regional biodiversity/ecosystem dynamics. We have always struggled with this balance of survival of life, how much should we and can we take/shape the environment around us for our benefit... and still maintain balance...? imho we dont really know and there is much new and very interesting endeavors into this area ie eathships, permaculture/ sustainable agriculture, grassroots community developments/enterprises etc

The argument should not revolve around the better species or preferential treatment of such as it will continue with and or without our consent rather we should make an argument as to why and how we can and should be able to have these animals as pets and at the same time be able to control and restrict their encroachment onto the ecology of the native populous which is in my mind quite a hard debate although worthwhile as i assume people into the future will also continue to own/breed pet animals.

Lastly i guess i would like to pose the question in regards to only killing animals for food, there are various circumstances like if a grisly bear were to happen upon one in a not so sociably amicable state, or a dingo took yer baby or you accidentally were to hit a Roo whilst driving etc is it morally justifiable to slaughter the animal etc.

I think Killing is a part of a predators nature. Killing for fun is a waste of life and a thrill kill IMO.

As humans we tend to forget that we were hunter gathers (some of us still are) and that we killed animals for food. Unlike now with factory farmed generation we don't like to get out hands dirty. Most children think meat and veg come from the supermarket.

Feral cats, dogs and foxes are doing what they do due to there natural instincts. They need to eat just like every living being.

so why would anyone own a cat? Maybe as a emergency source of food if shit hits the fan :). Dogs are man best friend IMO

They have found some very big cats here in Eastern states and WA. Some big pussies :)

a dog isnt mans best friend. its man greatest suck-up. mans greatest manipulator. seems they got you all fooled huh lol. and all that depends on what culture your from. some say an angel will not dwell where a dog resides. some say oposite. anyhow, what lacks in this appauling thread, is respect for the lives of others. this psuedo-bushman attitiude is sickening i think. i call it dalby syndrome. can you guess why?

I personally do not appreciate being somehow bundled up in your view ghosty of what you think this community is composed of, and enforce your view on others that do not share your perception tunnel.

you seem to very judgmental mate....

judgmental, nah, got passion though buddy. isnt expression such a big part of life? why choose to take offence? i wont let it get to me though. it's ok. im used to copping flack for caring.

ghosty, the tone in your posts makes it pretty clear you're going through some kind of personal issues or frustrations in your life at the moment or something along those lines.. I don't know you or understand the depth of your soul & experience & i won't pretend to but i do know these are twisted times on this planet & a lot of sensitive peoples are feeling this way too, i feel you. Doesn't mean you have to snap at everyone on these forums because they have somewhat of a different opinion to you does it bud?

certain perspectives on certain things may be sickening to you & thats fine but you should probably also realise that the underlying vitriole in your posts is pretty damn sickening too & in the same way you are getting on your high horse, unable to comprehend how people in such a community as this could think in a particular way that to you seems ignorant, the feeling that comes across in your reactions seems equally ignorant.

as fucked up as humans are in many ways, your opinion, just like your arsehole is one of billions just like everyone elses.. It's a convenient place to vent, but don't you think it's misguided to contruct enemies out of the people on this forum because you're unable to undertand their perspective? Life & 'reality' are much more complicated than that & at the core of it i think the folks you're judging can probably relate a lot more than you seem to be bothered trying to take notice of, no matter what your opinions about cats & dogs..

don't mistake 'caring' for an excuse to go on an ego trip, we all fall for that one from time to time..