The Corroboree
shruman

Little help?

Question

Went for a bushwalk today & found these beautiful little shrubs.

Found at altitude in dry sclerophyll heathlands close to granite outcrop/boulders in northern NSW just west of the great divide.

Foliage had a BEAUTIFUL smell especialy when crushed but still noticeable without crushing, flowers were about 10mm in diameter to give you an idea of scale, plants were from about 6" to a bit over 3'.

Pretty sure I know the Genus but species would be nice. Thanks all.

post-2263-127831309806_thumb.jpgpost-2263-127831311618_thumb.jpg

post-2263-127831314389_thumb.jpgpost-2263-127831316391_thumb.jpg

Saw what I think was a rock wallaby (coulda been a stinka though) only milliseconds before he saw me & took off, some pretty little finches, a couple of big wombat holes & I did'nt even know they were anywhere near here. Dozens of interesting plant species, pitty I forgot the camera. All in all a good walk in the bush.

post-2263-127831309806_thumb.jpg

post-2263-127831311618_thumb.jpg

post-2263-127831314389_thumb.jpg

post-2263-127831316391_thumb.jpg

post-2263-127831309806_thumb.jpg

post-2263-127831311618_thumb.jpg

post-2263-127831314389_thumb.jpg

post-2263-127831316391_thumb.jpg

Edited by shruman

17 answers to this question

Edited by PD.

Sorry about that, damn kids musta hit a quote button then my youngest came up & hit the computer with a book she demanded I read, submitting the post. :blink::wacko::unsure:

Kids can't live with them can't seel em, eh?

well it does NOT look like the Haeworthias I have in mind..

Could it be (Portulacaceae) ??

We got an edible Porulacaceae that looks a lot like this...

Edited by mutant

I don't think so, was thinking more Rutaceae...

Yeah I accidentaly quoted one of your recent posts in the original post mutant. :rolleyes:

Its just the realy blunt rounded leaflets that are throwing me as for species.

Edited by shruman

It looks like Rutaceae to me too. Pink, four petals, opposite leaves, aromatic - I'd say Boronia.

Nice one Shruman

It looks to me like Boronia algida see: http://plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/NSWfl.pl?page=nswfl&lvl=sp&name=Boronia~algida

The only Common Wombats known on the Northern Tablelands are about 50 animals in Butterleaf (east of Deepwater) and just over the border in Girraween NP <20 animals. They are a little more common along the escarpment south of Walcha....Although I have heard unsubstantiatedf rumours of a population somewhere between Butterleaf, Deepwater and Torrington - the rednek who told me of it refused to be more specific...

As for Brush Tailed RW - there are shitloads in some places around the tablelands - it just depends where you look..

stay warm bro

• Like 1

Thanks bro, something told me you'd have the good oil. algida looks like the one, I've been clicking through that website & must have missed it. Heres the page with links to species if anybody wants to squiz: http://plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/NSWfl.pl?page=nswfl&lvl=gn&name=Boronia

Awesome smell on that one, more pungent than the others I've smelt.

In that second pic, top right corner is that a fruit?, how do you collect seeds?

Yeah pretty sure it was a brush tail rock wallaby now. We occaionaly saw them on the farm as a kid which was about 1/2 way to emmaville.

Yeah spun me out to think there were wombats around here, wonder for how long lucky to see 2 holes than I guess, would love the kids to see them... maybe in summer...

Yeah got the fire going, miserable drizly rain outside, yesterday was cold but the walk warmed me up quickly. Lotsa fungal activity out there though no subs yet maybe to cold now.

Did you mean to post the same link twice there tarenna?

• Like 1

A pleasure to help out...

My mistake on posting the same link - I meant to put the Boronia homepage with the key....

I can't make out the photo well enough - it could be a flower bud as opposed to a capsule. The seeds are likely to be really small and may need smoke infusion or other treatments for good germ.... Many of the heathy Zieria/Boronias are obligate seeders as opposed to re-sprouters and can germinate en-masse post fire....

Whereabouts did ya see the wombat burrows??

They are definitely on their way out on the tablelands and should be listed as critically endangered north of Walcha... To think that in our lives they are probably gunna be extinct in that region (and that redneks still kill them) saddens me greatly..

• Like 1

Yeah it was in butterleaf. One might have been on private land looking at the map I had. I'd be more than happy to show you whenever your over this way.

50 is such a small population, how long could genetic integrity last?, not like a wombat knows the difference between nat park & trap rock paddocks eh?, can't believe people would kill them is it illegal?

"They are definitely on their way out on the tablelands and should be listed as critically endangered north of Walcha..."

Yeah when would that happen... Looked like alot of logging in the state forest surrounding the nat park.. this might be under threat if they were declared criticaly endangered right?, reminds me I was reading awhile ago about a group that wanted a Boronia near grafton declared but they were putting a dam through with a road that ran through its main habitat but they put the dam through then declared it endangered, it was a while ago so my memory is a little fuzzy.

The points the same though usualy these things are'nt changed because theres money involved.

Have you smelt the algida?, what did you think?

Thanks for the info on the seeds.

Edited by shruman
  • Like 1

would be awesome to gt sum seed to circulate shruman, its a stunner!

Can't find of much on butterleaf, if you know of any surveys or what not I'd be keen to read. Dunno if I would find anything as comprehensive as this is for Gibraltar/Washpool:

http://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/94639/Cun103439Hun.pdf

I love that PDF :wub:

This one looks to have a little info: http://www.une.edu.au/ers/staff-profile-doc-folders/peter-clarke/1998-hunter-clarke-cunninghamia.pdf

I'll keep digging... speaking of digging might start a thread on making a sclerophyll patch. I so love that type of scrub, don't get me wrong I love rainforest but the sclerophyll heathlands are the bush I truly love to tread.

^^ My friend Paul co-authored that paper - he used to travel to the Gibraltar Range from Coffs every weekend for at least a couple of years to go botanising... A truly stunning and incredibly diverse place.... 3 endemic Grevilleas, an endemic Waratah and the list goes on - also shitloads of Strawberry Gum.... MMMMM Methyl cinamate.....

As for starting heathy gardens the best thing to do is to start building up raised rock beds on northerly or westerly aspect close to heatbanks such as bricked wall - sandstone is best or in your case granite or trap....

Another friend has an amazing heathy garden in a really humid and mouldy coastal location just south of Coffs Harbour... Lotsa Boronias, Zierias and Hormoranthus' - they are the bomb...

I believe it is illegal to kill a wombat because they bummble onto your property. I don't believe there are licences for culling wombats? I could be wrong however. I don't mean to detract from the OT but you guys have raised a really good point about wombats. They don't reproduce much, only every few years when conditions are good, and they get hammered by roads, mange and dick head hunters who couldn't put a bullet in a fucken billboard, (sorry getting annoyed...).

If you have stumbled across a population of wommers that are not recorded get onto reporting them bro. Sad but it does help to preserve habitats by getting the authorities involved.

peace and tell me if Im being annoying!

what a fantastic read, and eye pleasure this thread is!

gee, member cristop is always good id'ing aswell.