The Corroboree

I don't particularly like all of Van Goghs works of art, but he was still a great artist. Some of his works are sold in excess of like 80 million plus....wow hey..

Talking about other 'artists',some stuff in art galleries are like they are done by a 2 year old and everyone gushes over it,lol. Like the sculptures that are erected in town squares and things i see as a bit of junk.lol. Even new buildings and the arty abstract style,,, i rather the old style architecture that has character.

Anyway.. :)

By the way, i am interested in the story in_spirit, but the link you added was for something tottaly different.You lol :) :)

Edited by Amazonian

Lol link modified, lol technology :(

• Like 1

There was one guy in Rio i think it was, there isa giant landfill- dump and he got the workers to collect junk and he used it to compile pictures of the same workers, i am talking about people who literally have nothing. He took photos ofhis compilations and they were displayed in the art museum. He gave each person a photo of his work an it was like they were given gold. It was a simple plan but itworked an was great art because it had abig effect on people. I will find alink to some maybe

Yeah i get ya now... , great idea. They have used the rubbish to create a picture ( I was thinking abstract ?!,) that is quite clever. I used Google images and searched up "Waste Land Art".

Nice, i have a beautiful rubbish-portait of an woman on my wall that i cut out from the newspaper, clever dude he was.

Amz, the thing that i find so special about carvers is they can see things other people dont see.

I see a block of jade, you see a mushroom,

i see a block of wood, my mate Dave sees a frog climbing along a delicate blade of grass,

I see a lump of rock, my partner sees a little creature eating a pinecone.

Sometimes turning your vision into reality is a long road fraught with distractions and frustrations, but so is life.

I bet your 'minds eye' is a very healthy and well-developed part of your brain :)

And as for artists..

Is a dancer, a spiritual master, a musician, a loving parent or a devoted teacher anything less than an artist?

Anyone who conciously works with a medium, especially the medium of self, is continuously creating an evolving, living art form and becoming an embodiment of the universal creativity.

You are art and you are an artist :)

You are opportunity incarnate.

^ :)

I think we are all artists in one way or another. :)

Edited by Amazonian
  • Like 2

Nice, i have a beautiful rubbish-portait of an woman on my wall that i cut out from the newspaper, clever dude he was.

Amz, the thing that i find so special about carvers is they can see things other people dont see.

i see a block of wood, my mate Dave sees a frog climbing along a delicate blade of grass,

I see a lump of rock, my partner sees a little creature eating a pinecone.

Sometimes turning your vision into reality is a long road fraught with distractions and frustrations, but so is life.

I bet your 'minds eye' is a very healthy and well-developed part of your brain :)

And as for artists..

Is a dancer, a spiritual master, a musician, a loving parent or a devoted teacher anything less than an artist?

Anyone who conciously works with a medium, especially the medium of self, is continuously creating an evolving, living art form and becoming an embodiment of the universal creativity.

You are art and you are an artist :)

You are opportunity incarnate.

Thats a very good explanation of divine essence and spiritual cultivation :)

^ :)

I think we are all artists in one way or another. :)

Not bullshit artists :)

I see a lump of rock, my partner sees a little creature eating a pinecone..

You mean like this bogfrog....

Here is a bit of wood I saw, and I thought it looked like a bird...

post-7430-0-96673600-1359795541_thumb.jp

And after a little bit of sanding...

It became a bird :)

post-7430-0-67652000-1359795615_thumb.jp

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 10

I really like the bird! How big is it?

Yeah thats what i mean Amz, good spotting!

I had a really nice eel stick which i found on a west coast beach, perfectly formed mouth and eyes on either side, i couldnt believe my eyes. I will try find a pic, as my friends dog crunched it up :(

I really like the bird! How big is it?

It's about the size of a sparrow,,,small, sits in my palm of my hand. :)

• Like 1

What happened here, did you lose interest Amazonian? I enjoyed seejng your newest creations, and bogfrogsstopped her posts in herscrim thread???? :(

^ Nah, mostly just caught up with family duties and stuff .

I have been doing a bit of carving actually, but i don't make everything public... It keeps it a little more special for the receiver that way i think. :)

Edited by Amazonian
  • Like 1

I haven't looked through this thread for a while but every time I do I am amazed by what you do Amaz . You have a great eye for scale and texture.

You see a bird in that piece of wood that I see as fire wood. :)

Cheers

Got

• Like 3

Hey Amz, just wondering if you have heard of tagua nuts, could be a great craving material for you.

from wiki:

"Given trade restrictions in elephant ivory as well as animal welfare concerns, ivory palm endosperm is often used as a substitute for elephant ivory today, and traded as vegetable ivory, palm ivory, corozo or tagua. When dried out, it can be carved just like elephant ivory; it is often used for beads, buttons, figurines and jewelry, and can be dyed. More recently, palm ivory has been used in the production of bagpipes.

Vegetable ivory stimulates local economies in South America, provides an alternative to cutting down rainforests for farming, and prevents elephants from being killed for the ivory in their tusks."

they are really quite cheap if you can find a decent supplier, if you can't find them easily in OZ i can get an email address for you of a very reliable and cheap supplier...i think he charges about 20c per nut and they have already been baked to make them sufficient density for carving

post-8023-0-79517500-1366163433_thumb.jp

post-8023-0-61949800-1366163445_thumb.jp

Heres one that my keeps watch over my heatpad.

post-8023-0-70406400-1366163565_thumb.jp

taguanutIvoryNutsRaw.jpg

IvoryNuts.jpg

IMG_3179.JPG

taguanutIvoryNutsRaw.jpg

IvoryNuts.jpg

IMG_3179.JPG

• Like 3

Yeah, i am familiar with Tagua nuts. I have a few and they cost me $5 each !!! I sent one to someone i know, and they carved a skull out of theirs, it turned out quite well. I do intend on doing some carving eventually with the nuts i have. I am interested to see what this material is like to work with.

The lizard above is well done and appears to be from a good size nut. The ones i have aren't very big.

I wonder what the viability of these seeds are...maybe i could plant mine and grow a whole tree of carving possibilities,lol.

Thanks for the info encouragement/enthusiasm bogfrog.

EDIT: I may just take you up on the offer for a contact address for the supplier you know of. Thanks bogfrog. :)

Edited by Amazonian

Germination would be unlikely as they are baked at the quarantine centres in order to be deemed safe to enter the country.

Wouldnt that be fantastic though, to have your own ivory palm and harvest nuts when you feel like doing some carving :)

I saw a carving my mate Dave did with one, of a geckgo hatching out of an egg and he had stained the geckgo with black tea, it looked very effective.

The supplier owns a large plantation himself and only exports the larger nuts overseas for carving. He is passing them on for extremely cheap, what you pay for is the pretty much only what it costs him to put them through the quarantine treatment.

Apparently you can buy up to sack-fulls of nuts off this guy if you want a lifetime supply!

Will track down that email for you over the weekend :)

• Like 1

Hnng! So good! I wish i had enough time to do some carving!

So many ideas and awesome little sculptures to make!

Maybe one day I'll buy a Dremel and be an awesome carver like you!

• Like 1

***BUMP***

Amazonian,.. maybe time to make a SAB sect pendant for all members..... they will all have to contribute 25$ of which 5$ automatically goes to our leader Torsten hahahaha

• Like 1

I was going to wait until i had more things to share, but since i am here... i will add a few things that i have done over the last few months.

I played around with a bit of dried vine... cut it, drilled a hole in it, sanded it and buffed it up with a bit of bees wax, and then strung it on some hemp cord and.. 'hey presto'... a key ring. Not long after that , i carved a jade leaf and did the same thing again with a bit of dried vine and combined the two and made another key ring (you must think i am a bit of a fan of key rings huh,lol)

I also made a magnifier out of jade. The quality of the jade was not good, but i didn't know that until i was close to the finished shape. As i shaped it, faults and fractures revealed themselves which made it hard to complete the design i had in my head, but i still plodded along. I didn't put a heap of effort into it, as it wasn't worth it due to the quality of the jade. Better luck next time on that one.

I have a design i am thinking of that incorporates vine and a jade stone leaf in one, and it will be a pendant, so stay tuned for that one.

I polished up a shell to reveal the most beautiful rainbow sheen. Pictures don't do it justice. I had a few attempts at it as if you sand in one area too long, you sand right through the shell and create a hole, DOH!. By the way, i read that shell dust is pretty bad for you to inhale, so if you are thinking of polishing a shell, take precautions.

I just bought a nice bit of rough lapis lazuli and am going to have a crack at carving a scarab.

I have a few other things i might show at a later date.

wood.jpg

greenleaf.jpg

keyring.jpg

magni.jpg

magn.jpg

polishedshell.jpg

This thread is a bit of an ego stroker, lol, but you guys are encouraging. :)

• Like 5

Love your work Amz, and thanks again for the keychain, I love it :)

• Like 1

Amazonian,.. maybe time to make a SAB sect pendant for all members..... they will all have to contribute 25$ of which 5$ automatically goes to our leader Torsten hahahaha

Hmmm, OK so 4,195 member, X approx 10 hours per carving = 41,950 hours of carving, about 5 years not including sleeping and eating and working, lol. I think i will pass, :P. Nice thought though woof woof. :) .( I love to carve, that is a reward in itself,its not about all about the money, but heck, sometimes that shit helps)

• Like 1

hey i don't suppose you feel like carving 7 jade tuning pegs for a guqin... :innocent_n:

^ Nope, sorry,lol.... I have too many ideas in my head i want to create into reality (what appears to be reality, :wink: ) .But i can offer you a bit of material, and a diamond bit... You can have a crack yourself scarecrow? :)