The Corroboree
Bert&Ernie

What are your spiritual/religious views?

Thought it would be good to share each others views on spirituality and religion so share how you fell!

debating is okay but i dont want this thread to turn into a shit fight about who is right and who is wrong, thanks.

My cat thinks hes Jesus. "... pst ... he isnt

• Like 2

i think if you feel the need to convince others about something or even talk about it at all, unless you've been asked about it directly then you're doing it wrong.

• Like 5

I think existence is just a meaningless random occurrence, we are just energy that has evolved into a controlled & structured form.

But though technology and the scientific method we have the power to create destiny & purpose for ourselves. We have the opportunity to evolve our consciousness into an infinite reality and exist forever as one with the universe.

The purpose is insignificant, but the possibilities are endless.

• Like 2

What are your spiritual/religious views?

• Like 2

I'm a Christian . I cop a lot of flack for telling people that . But if I said i was a Buddhist my friends

would be like "yeah cool" . This is my faith and a lot of people have made Christianity jaded .

But Jesus is so cool ( will leave it at that dont want to give haters more ammo )

Edited by Bigred
  • Like 2

Good question. I dont have a real answer lol. Not up to the chapter where i seek to define what i believe yet :P

...But i sometimes think of life as being like a book thats still in the process of being written as you are reading it.

I think its up to every individual to make meaning in their life.

We all have experiences, but it is the understandings which we formulate from our experiences that defines who we are.

I think you have to 'read' your life, 'read' your experiences, 'read' your feelings, 'read' your thought-patterns and connect the dots.

If you dont analyse your experiences, and dare to scratch beneath the surface of day-to-day responsibilities and expectations in search for deeper meaning, then your "life-book" will be the sort of book no one would ever be interested in reading.. Not even you.

We might never know the moral of the story until the moment when we die, but that doesn't change the fact that you created this story and you learnt lessons from it that no other being will ever learn in the way you learnt.

To me, spirituality is the process of unravelling who you are, why you are who you are and what you need to do to celebrate your existence to the fullest expression of your being.

(Burble burble!)

• Like 8

im fairly pantheist, leaning naturalistic vs idealistic...
but im also somewhat of a self defined mystic, but only by my own measure

I really like your comment @ Bogfrog... if I promote anything spiritual, that would be for the individual to look within

thats where its happening...

Know Thyself...

• Like 2

I'm agnostic. I used to think I had an idea about what's going on in this world, but as time goes on and my time experiencing psychedelics, has pointed out the fact that I have NFI. And I'm cool with that :) I doubt I will ever know, and I doubt very much that anybody has ever known, nor will ever know. There has been great teachers and everyday people, plants that have provided pointers I.e jebus, Buddha Mohammad, Ghandi, mum, grandma, joe across the street, psilocybin mushrooms, cacti, dmt, LSD, pretty much everyone and anything. I do believe there is a purpose and a reason and a purpose to life and as to why the universe exists. But I think it's beyond the human brains comprehension. Sometimes when I've had a few beers I even start to think that the universe/ god has no idea what the hell it is either, and manifests itself in the myriads of forms we see, us, a rock, a bird, plants EVERYTHING to experience itself, to figure out wtf it is, and which way to go. But then I start to think like that i start to think what actually is occurring around us and across and beyond? The universe would even be a billion times much more funky than that, and come back to the fact that I have NFI.

People that do propose to know what's going on scare the bejesus out of me, and instantly that filter in my brain switches them to mute.

Now I just try and process the raw data in front of me and draw my own conclusions, about what rings true for me, it doesn't do my head in as much :)

Edited by incognito
  • Like 7

I was bought up in a hard core religious family with the bible force fed to me for 19 yrs of my life. When I decided thisw as not the life for me I was ex communicated by the church and disowned by my family. Friends (I thought they were) I had known for my whole life would cross the street when they saw me coming.

So my thoughts on religion.........well it fucked my family up.

Today I have deep seated issues with ORGANISED religion but am very open to my own spirituality and that of others who approach it in a similar vane as myself. I I find my spirituality in my love and awe of nature and the plants that healed me.

I don't believe in hell or heaven and now have absolutely no fear of dying which is incredibly liberating as I do not need a blind faith to justify or quantify my existence.

I am here to enjoy a short time and a good time on the planet and do not need to understand what the fuck is going on. Marvelling at the way things 'just are' is enough and the plants I love have given me more insight into this universe than any religion.

Time for another wine

Getafix

Edited by Getafix
  • Like 5

I'm agnostic. I used to think I had an idea about what's going on in this world, but as time goes on and my time experiencing psychedelics, has pointed out the fact that I have NFI. And I'm cool with that :) I doubt I will ever know, and I doubt very much that anybody has ever known, nor will ever know. There has been great teachers and everyday people, plants that have provided pointers I.e jebus, Buddha Mohammad, Ghandi, mum, grandma, joe across the street, psilocybin mushrooms, cacti, dmt, LSD, pretty much everyone and anything. I do believe there is a purpose and a reason and a purpose to life and as to why the universe exists. But I think it's beyond the human brains comprehension. Sometimes when I've had a few beers I even start to think that the universe/ god has no idea what the hell it is either, and manifests itself in the myriads of forms we see, us, a rock, a bird, plants EVERYTHING to experience itself, to figure out wtf it is, and which way to go. But then I start to think like that i start to think what actually is occurring around us and across and beyond? The universe would even be a billion times much more funky than that, and come back to the fact that I have NFI.

People that do propose to know what's going on scare the bejesus out of me, and instantly that filter in my brain switches them to mute.

Now I just try and process the raw data in front of me and draw my own conclusions, about what rings true for me, it doesn't do my head in as much :)

sweet post.

my views are speculative and many, particularly on the concept of god, which i've made the effort of getting lost in.

I have so many view some i don't understand fully and some that are pretty solid but still have a weak point.

my biggest belief is that we all have an energy i guess some call it the soul or whatever and that energy cannot be destroyed but only changed into another form of energy and that we all have this inside of us and thats what dives us and living creatures, when we die i think that our energy force changes into another energy and that we dont really die but become some other be it life form or star or galaxy or whatever at the moment i have no idea what but i am working on it.

I also believe there is some sort of being be it god or something else that is observing us, who knows this universe could be just a science experiment for some teenage alien....

LOL this thread just reminded me of that one night where I thought I had it all sussed :P

I wont try and explain, since my view has since changed:

post-8023-0-76341400-1375785675_thumb.jp

I have to say I agree with the above statements suggesting one human brain can't actually comprehend it all... But thats not to say we can't learn lots of really cool stuff..

I have recognised that lessons and guidance are all around you, available to you in almost every moment, you just have to look, and trust that you will find what you need.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

I think we're farmed. I think I'm the equivalent of a cow or chicken to some(thing)one? I look at my fish, and can't help but imagine my own tank surrounding me.

This is my fish

post-11189-0-53237600-1375787082_thumb.j

Well, it's its own fish really, but I feed it and I farm it for its poo. I put the poo on my plants, which I also farm... So what's farming me? Should I pray to it? Does my fish pray to me? Do the plants pray to the fish?

I feed the fish, the fish feed my plants, my plants feed me and my fish and my plants (after I compost them), so it seems like a whole lot of praying prey preaching pretty prayers to me.

Maybe if I put a donation box between the fish tank and the garden and my mouth I can earn tax free dollars...

I really have no idea what's going on... but I like my fish and plants, and I hope they like me.

post-11189-0-53237600-1375787082_thumb.jpg

post-11189-0-53237600-1375787082_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

When I tell other Christians What Would Jesus Do ( wwjd) they look at me weird . I think the message of

Christ has been lost in this hierarchy called mainstream religion . When you start saying that Jesus hanged around

hookers , leepers and other scum and spent his last night as a human in jail. They look at me funny and

The Bible is so misinterpreted and the true message of love and help gets lost in translation. I think if jesus

was here he would be burning down a lot of churches

Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

So a lot of people at my church automaticly judge me as my past is very colourful. But now i have a title in the

church and are becoming a deacon . so they suck up to me and when i start saying if you want to help

you need to help the poor,sick lost people of the world they say some shit like . well i donated $30 bucks and

a tin of baked beans that should be enough for them . ( will stop ranting )

Christianity was so pure now its getting really jaded the message of helping your fellow man has been lost

any way

peace be with you all

Edited by Bigred
  • Like 1

what does the bible say about thai prostitutes?

• Like 6

Christianity was so pure now its getting really jaded the message of helping your fellow man has been lost

That's not necessarily a new thing. The crusades were hardly an act of loving thy neighbour. Religion has for forever been used as an excuse for some people to justify their insanities.

There is a lot of nice things in the NT and I agree, it would be nice if more Christians took it to heart.

• Like 1

"The infinite regress of definitions:

To know what it is that we believe, we must know the meanings of the words we use to express our belief. To know the meaning of a word is to be able to say what it means or to define it. But in defining a word we employ other words, which must be defined in their turn. What do you mean by 'puppy'? A puppy is a young dog. What do you mean by 'young' and 'dog'? And so on, ad infinitum. Since nobody can actually complete an infinite series of definitions, everybody must use words whose meanings they do not know because they have not defined them. And since all of our beliefs are expressed, in the last analysis, using words we have not defined, we never really know what it is that we believe!"

- Alan Musgrave

• Like 3

I thought this was relevant too. Sorry to be dumping quotes, i'm just researching for an essay and certain paragraphs jump out and say share me!

I know I have been guilty of this selective perception before, and likely will again, and agiagin, and again :P

"Bacon was an empiricist: he believed that genuine knowledge could be obtained using the senses. He was also very critical of what passed for knowledge in his day: mistaken views abounded, and uncertainty clouded everything. Bacon thought that all this error and uncertainty arose because we used the wrong method, in particular because we did not employ experience or observation in the proper way. Bacon called this erroneous method the 'anticipation of nature': the mind anticipates what nature will reveal to it through the senses; it jumps to conclusions and allows these premature speculations or preconceptions or prejudgements (prejudices) to distort the message of the senses. Perceptual errors arise, we overlook the true state of affairs, and we cling to our false and uncertain preconceptions or prejudices."

- Alan Musgrave

• Like 2

^ Quote away bog - they're real gems - both of them have put a huge smile on my face - whatever my face is anyway... hehe.

• Like 1

The guy who wrote this book I'm quoting from (obviously not the person who came up with the content!!) is my philosophy lecturer.

He is very old, looks like a wizard, chuckles alot, and stares deeply into student's eyes trying to gauge weather we are comprehending the content or not.

Such a gem :D

I really enjoy conversations with people like that - there's a lot to be said for that deep searching look, and the spark that appears when they see you've got it right. Sometimes it almost feels like they're transmitting the model into your brain with their eyes, like wiring up the right point of view. I can spend hours/days with people like that, they're captivating. If only more teachers were wild eyed crazy wizards, learning as a kid would have been so much more fun and enriching.

Comminucation through the eyes could be a whole topic just on it's own - if a picture says 1000 words, a look can fill a library sometimes.

Edit: spelled brain wrong hahaha - where's my...

Edited by IndianDreaming
  • Like 1

What church are you becoming a deacon in biggie? Just out of our curiosity.

We have had a few deacons and priests of various trades come and go through these parts :)

@Bogfrog, this guy here, you may find interesting.... I really don't know a whole lot about him

just what I've read at this link, but its one of those links I held onto as I really vibed with what has been quoted on his perspective...

anyhow hope you like..

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/rosenstock-huessy/

In regards to christianity.. I was about to post about it the other day, hell I think it would have been a humorous post for some at least but it turned into a rant and I decided not to as I could rant on christianity all day long...what I will say is that I think when you really dig to find the real gems in christianity, and narrow it down to that, its IMHO, not christianity anymore, but something far more pure which existed far before any form of abrahamism...

I have alot of respect for ppl who take on the establishments when they believe them to be wrong, any of them, whether it be the church or the crony side of governments , even some of the backwards so called education systems... but again, those could turn into rants so I won't elaborate on each for the time being.....

anyhow, here is a good example of a christian I can vibe with... isn't she darling???

she got alot of slack for her message... and Understand cause I live in the so called "bible belt" and I know what persecution is like

I think pureness has alot more to do with the individual and that theres not a such thing as a "pure" ideology.. they are just cultural

works which evloved for the sole purpose of people coping with reality and rationalizing some of the more hard to understand things about

reality... pureness is just being and everyone has access to fullness but sadly so many have only seen a glimpse of their own full potential... language is a huge part of this imo but its alot more to me than I think one can gather from just scratching the surface.... To really understand someone else you have to go so far beyond words ....

I've burned a king james, it was a most depressing part of my life.... and it was an tremendous release for me, as my story is quite similar to that of Getafix... it was quite something for me to get to a point where I can be be totally honest with myself in a way that society will not accept, a TRUE feeling of freedom, as I had alot of pent up anger and in my immaturity I wanted someone to blame... Ironically it was a huge turning point for me and I instead of being so judgemental about abrahamists anymore, I more so work to look at it individually... thats why I appreciate atheists even though I am not one because even in these days it takes alot to be honest but where I think it fails as well is when atheism becomes the religion, like where the mind becomes closed to learning something, but I have to say I think atheists, in alot of cases are closer to being 'spiritual' than abrahamists (generally speaking)

Being a good human has nothing to do with religious morals, but just plain simple morals.... I frankly don't need someone to write down "Thou shalt not kill" to know that killing is not a humane act, but I respect that some people need those guidelines written down to help them remember... :P

Amen Ra...

Edited by Spine Collector
  • Like 3