The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
-YT-

John Trudell Documentry

A worthwhile look at the life and works of John Trudell from his early activism to later spoken word and music, the ongoing battle for recognition and rights of his and other first nation peoples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooZ8xz9AgpM

• Like 1

any thoughts ?

much of this resonates with myself although i could perhaps see maybe for some depending on perspective could be confrontational in terms to the pejorative "white man" lol moving away from that though there are many other questions in regards to the peoples of the first nation in regards to national sovereignty land rights etc which are still largely debated to this day. It raises many questions in terms of the rights to the first peoples and there current treatment in today's world which in my opinion is used to justify racially prejudice views and policy.

the undeniable fact that first nation peoples in this country and others suffer from all kinds of social/political persecution in its many various forms still exists in today's world and is in fact in many ways a continuation of the"white" policy albeit in covert form (largely personal opinion feel free to disagree!)

i watched this this morning. one thought comes to mind about land rights, and this will seem controversial

there are no such things as land rights. land "rights" are simply privileges bestowed onto certain people by others with superior power. i mean think about it, how often do people say no one has a right to the planet? that goes for all humans, and if there is a society with superior firepower (in this case western/"white" people) who wish to keep land for themselves ten they will do so. this is not to say western society is superior, and i think obviously capitalism will be the death of western society and the planet in general and people will realise it only too late but that doesn't mean one human group has some "natural right" to a a patch of land than another. how many territory disputes between native americans were settled with violence? it's the same thing. john trudell fought a good fight to reclaim his land but he lost in the face of superior firepower, if there is such a thing as "natural order" then surely this is it?

i agree in theory no one has a right to the planet although history and reality have largely proven otherwise for good and or bad.i think at the heart of the issue is the right of continuation of a culture the flow on being the privileges afforded when able to create a community/infrastructure etc, land access having a large part to do with that. Not sure the data on how many territory disputes were settled with violence but doubt it would any be different from many other society's/empires throughout history.

dont think i would agree with if there is such a thing as "natural order" then surely this is it? that sort of justification caused in-numerous social ills in the past like slavery/social segregation, ethnic cleansings/genocides, suppresion of womens rights, persecution based on gender/belief/sexuality etc. But you do make a good point bringing it up and i guess the prevalence in a way of this kinda of view in aspects of modern society.