The Corroboree
planthelper

lagochilus inebrians fake versus real seeds

Lagochilus gypsaceus would be even more interesting, regarding the lagochiline content, I'm looking for it

a picture of Lagochilus platycalyx:

http://www.plantarium.ru/page/taxonomy/taxon/21883.html

and the famous fake inebrians: Lagochilus cabulicus: http://www.europeana.eu/portal/record/11605/B3871E63264E8E3EDF66FE86FA1102AE848A4EFB.html

Edited by mindperformer

Okay everyone, so initial thanks to endorfinder for sending me these seeds I don't think I have PM'd you yet, my apologies.

So I'm going to get the ball rolling with this experiment. I have 21 seeds, 7 of which look unviable (pale and shrivelled) and 14 which look dark and full. I have divided them into two groups of 7+3 and 7+4. I will use the takeaway tek for ease of storage in my fridge, and will use moist but not wet seed raising mix from Debco, which I use for most of my seeds, being very sandy and relatively low in organic matter and nutrients. They will go into my fridge today, and at some point I will get a thermometer and check the actual temperature.

One of these boxes I will take out in 6 weeks time and put in the freezer for 4 weeks which I will also check for actual temperature), after which I will warm both boxes to see if germination occurs.

How's that sound?

• Like 1

I would create a new group, which is planted outdoors, preferably over the coldest winter months.

I had partial germination with the fridge method, but the only time, I totally successful germinated what we call the maybe real lago seeds, was outdoors over winter.

I might put my fake lago seeds down june or july, and hope for natural cold stratification. :)

i just got some seeds identical to PHs "real seeds". I am going to sow them very shortly outdoors using a sandy seed raising mix. Ill give them a 4-5 hour warm water soak first and will store in the fridge for a week before planting. I read this tek online somewhere, so will do half my seeds like this, and the other half in the fridge.

d00d

Yeah my fridge has just done a wobbly and frozen the fake seeds, so will pull them out soon and put them somewhere warm see what happens. Not very scientific but kind of indicative if something works.

Good luck on the real ones d00d!

one of my "fake" lago seeds started to emerge today!

I guess the germination time was around 3 weeks, and this outdoors, over winter.

the cotyledon, or maybe better, the embryonic leaves, are still closed, because the "skin" of the seed has not come off yet. attached to the skin, the fluffy hairy part of the original seed is still attached. this might suggest, I should have planted the seeds deeper into the potting mix.

hmm, I just took a pic of the seedling and the "skin" fell off with ease, so no problems, the seedling didn't get strangled.

my hopes are, that the fake lago is easier to grow as the real, but still contains the same goodies.post-70-0-30416500-1373512257_thumb.jpg

fake_lago_seedling.JPG

fake_lago_seedling.JPG

pic taken today!

no idea what it is, but surely it's, closly related to lagochilus inebrians.

post-70-0-83742700-1375413759_thumb.jpg

fake_lago_seedling#2.JPG

fake_lago_seedling#2.JPG

• Like 1

il buy a real one if someone wants to sell me a seedling :wink:

it's bigger now, any idea what it is?

there is practicly no smell, when you crush a leaf (the real lago is highly aromatic).

seems to have a growth habit, were all the leaves arise from one single point, like say comfrey.

thought for a while it could be, dracocephalum moldavica, but doesn't seem to be.

post-70-0-21371200-1378613329_thumb.jpg

fake_lago.JPG

fake_lago.JPG