The Corroboree
Darklight

Lagochilus inebrians aseptic seed germination

My seed were kept in a plastic bag in the fridge since I received them- it's been a while :)

They were sown aseptically and replaced in fridge in media, then put under lights a few months later

Not sure how they'd take to having their coat removed and put into a non-sterile area- the seed coat interactions with embryos are complex

To remove the seed coat, just hold them in forceps and take the large triangle end off the back of the seed ( there is only one end that shape ) about 1mm. The embryo squeezes out with just a little pressure from the forceps. Mind you this was done here on seedlings that had been in sterile semi-solid media ( agar )

In-vitro the embryos do not like being damaged, not a whit. I lost the best looking one- but there may still be another viable survivor

Maybe try just removing the triangle end on a few seed ( not all of them ), and leave the embryo in the coat so it learns to protect itself while developing? Just a thought, best of luck with it!

i got two options, do it sterile and with agar or,

maybe, i experiment with mechanical and chemical means, to soften the seed coat, or to nick the seed.

no rush here, hehehe, great info, cheers.

i think some species need to go through intestines to get decent viability

maybe Lagochilus inebrians is one

i am keen for some seeds if any become available let me know

Damn. Lost the all seed coat removed embryos after the last subculture. When they're small- especially with the seed coat removed- they don't like any damage.

Removing the embryo from the seed coat would cause them some trauma, and even the most gentlest of handling with thumb forceps at subculture would do the same

If I try this again I'll add some ascorbic acid to the media to see if that helps

Odd, when they're older they can recover from all kinds of browning- but when they're young any browning of tissue at all causes them to hurt

Nice to know the embryos are still viable after all this time

Still have the mature explants, they've been good for years now

i am keen for some seeds if any become available let me know

i grew my lago plants from seeds, which you will find mixed in, with the lago herb which get sold...

it was common in european head shops at least a few years ago, probably still is.

maybe your local head shops stocks it aswell, or you can try to oder from overseas.

i think, this plant would suit victorian and tasmanian growers!!

I have several dozen grams (I need to check exactly how much!) L. inebrians herbage available for trade.

PM for details