The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Geebus

F'ing Cobbler's Pegs! Bidens pilosa

Have you tried vacuuming them off

No I've never thought of that. I am going to try that :)

I wonder how you'd go with an epilator ?

Whoever designed the first one must have been a saddist, they are a nasty little gadget.

What is an epilator?

An epilator is a wicked little gadget designed to inflict maximum pain in the name of vanity. Basically it has a rotary head with many set of tweesers on it. It rips out the hair, roots and all.

Lol Sally when I was a kid I stuck one on my arm, instantly ripping out a bunch of arm hair. Wicked little gadget indeed.

hehe i always thought it was called an "epi-lady"

It was mate! That's what I remember it as.

"epi-lady" is right. I know, I got one. Painful? yes, like vanity itself =P LOL

Cant see it working on the pegs well though. The roots are good for breaking up the ground hey? feel free to bring your seeds here then =P my ground SUCKS!!!

at this time anyhow..

While they do shit me to some extent, I try not to mind them too much. I mean, every time I go into any bush I come back with much of it stuck to me. I get far more concerned about some types of grass seeds stuck to me than the pegs. At the end of the day, I consider it simply my duty to help nature spread her seeds. Just as i consider it some exercise to spend a day here and there ripping out those that i dont appreciate as much as some others =P

Are we accepting balance by accepting the good with the bad in terms of plants and our levels of personal appreciation? I think so, Thus, I think it's fine =)

The roots are good for breaking up the ground hey? feel free to bring your seeds here then =P my ground SUCKS!!!

at this time anyhow..

Nah, not really good for breaking up compacted ground so much, they have a hair-net root structure so they're much better at stabilizing loose soils as opposed to de-compacting hard soils. As the roots break down the resulting compost which has traveled throughout the upper soil strata (in the form of the growing roots), feeds soil life which over time builds healthy soil & transitions the soil towards more advanced & 'stable' long term ecosystems.

if you have crappy compacted soils you would be able to break it up much more effectively with hardy long-tap-rooted plants & weeds. Fine hairnet rooted plants like Bidens will usually have a real hard time germinating & surviving in very compacted soil.

Thanks Paradox. I hear ya with taproot plants. got a few going for that reason and food too. It seems one of my biggest issues is getting my head around minerals etc now. I have varying mineral deficiency's going on. This on top of my clay and rock "soil" makes me smile. no, hang-on. smile isnt the right word =P

I never found washing machines to help at all - all that tumbling just drives the little bastards further into the cloth, so some fall off in the wash, but the rest end up embedded so deep inside your socks so you don't even know they're there at first, not until after you've left the house & it's too late to go back for non-bidened socks. And then you spend all day taking your shoes off trying unsuccessfully to excavate the little fuckers.

That's my experience, anyway. Maybe I just need to wash with hot water or something. But the only method I've found so far that works is picking off every one before you come into the house or get in the car (car seat covers, no!) & putting them in the fireplace or somewhere that they'll be destroyed. Burn them before they can reproduce, oh dear, this started as well-intended weed control advice, but how quickly it turns to eugenics...