The Corroboree
waterboy 2.0

ID please folks

Question

This one came to me as a gift, in a strange way.

Did a job for a elderly woman a few weeks back, living way out there and cut her ties with society.

She didnt know what to make of me, lol...had to do the job by hand (which = sweat...).

She thought I did a good job..lol...and offered me a cuppa tea....had a chat and made her laugh (which I reckon she hadnt done in a while).

So dissapears and I get on with the job, she comes back with this one and tells me "...you need it.."

Still can't wrap my head around it...lol...may never know. Never spoke a word about cacti....

I stacked her up a good weeks worth of wood as my terms of acceptance, and thanked her for the plant.

Can any on you cacti wizards ID it?

1_zps6kmr3kih.jpg

and while I am at it...

Whats this stock? came from bunnings originally as they were out of mongrel trichs and wanted the job done. Its doing pretty good I've found.

DSCF3768_zpsfsghlmad.jpg

• Like 5

15 answers to this question

Could be that Trichocereus Werdermannianus type. It looks a lot like a Pasacana, but does have rounded spine bases and those curly spines. The plant looks like a cross between Terscheckii/Pasacana and Taquimbalensis, but is broader and has similar dimentions as a Pasacana.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 4

top looks like pasacana

• Like 1

yeah that or a T. terscheckii, kinda hard to tell em apart until they get bigger.

• Like 1

Thanks guys :wink:

I didnt have an idea of what it was really, but it does "feel" good, and now a really, really lovely gift.

• Like 4

Could be that Trichocereus Werdermannianus type. It looks a lot like a Pasacana, but does have rounded spine bases and those curly spines. The plant looks like a cross between Terscheckii/Pasacana and Taquimbalensis, but is broader and has similar dimentions as a Pasacana.

I also think some Taquimbalensis in there based on spination.

Very nice gift mate

Getafix

• Like 3

This one came to me as a gift, in a strange way.

Did a job for a elderly woman a few weeks back, living way out there and cut her ties with society.

She didnt know what to make of me, lol...had to do the job by hand (which = sweat...).

She thought I did a good job..lol...and offered me a cuppa tea....had a chat and made her laugh (which I reckon she hadnt done in a while).

So dissapears and I get on with the job, she comes back with this one and tells me "...you need it.."

Still can't wrap my head around it...lol...may never know. Never spoke a word about cacti....

I stacked her up a good weeks worth of wood as my terms of acceptance, and thanked her for the plant.

Can any on you cacti wizards ID it?

1_zps6kmr3kih.jpg

and while I am at it...

Whats this stock? came from bunnings originally as they were out of mongrel trichs and wanted the job done. Its doing pretty good I've found.

DSCF3768_zpsfsghlmad.jpg

Meant to say dude nice work cutting up/stacking wood for an oldie. Good karma coming your way.

Getafix

Edited by Getafix
  • Like 4

lol...she was a tough old bird....I only stacked it up for her on back porch, I'm pretty sure she did the splittin :wink:

Not the first time I've helped with wood...lol...gets cold down here.

• Like 5

Yeah mate I can relate to that. I'm from a cold part of NZ so chopped and stacked a lot of wood myself :)

Really, really want to visit Tassie

Getafix

• Like 1

If you want to see the wild parts mate, happy to give some local knowledge :wink:

lol....I have the sth island on the list

Edited by waterboy 2.0

Yeah bro from the South Island. Majestic country for sure.

Would love a guided tour of the wild parts ha ha.

Will let you know when we're coming.

Getafix

• Like 1

Definately agree with Getafix, this is not a pasacana nor a terscheckii, this is seems like a very pretty taquimbalensis (the var wilkae thing).. I think the tubercled appearance is due to dehydration.. was it / is it in a clay pot?

Pot it up in rich soil next year and it will become a beauty

these strains have fatter spines than the regular tacaquirensis and of course from terscheckii and pasacana and the swollen bases are so characteristic and fatty in some areoles that they cover the whole areole area, like at the centre of that photo.

A fantastic gift, this is one of the prettiest trichocerei IMO

PS: the graft is impossible to tell, but it could be a cuzco, they're faster than most peruvianoids,said to be great stocks. nice work!

Edited by mutant
  • Like 3

It was in a tiny plastic pot, and was definately hard grown outdoors in the cold and wet. Has been a very dry summer here,

Only really getting wet/humid now.

I've knocked it out into a larger clay pot, with a decent mix, it is already looking better for it.

Its gone into the greenhouse to keep it "dry" for the winter.

Thanks again people, you can see why I wasn't sure of it :wink:

The graft I wasnt sure I'd get an ID. Pretty sure its not a trich, I think its something else I grabbed as they were outta them.

Hey looks quite similar to this one I tried to get an ID on a few years back..

post-8023-0-69371900-1431578854_thumb.jp

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27477&hl=

^

Turned into a very informative thread that one..

Good on ya WB, 10 Good Samaritan points to you :) instant karma in effect too wowee

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

yep that was a nice one (that were the days huh?) , but the cactus here is definately a taquimbalensis wilkae ;)

• Like 1

RAWRZ! been lovn that sexy thing long time since i first laid eyes on it :wub:

i think i may have a plant that looks like a parent gene or two of yours WB (except the spines)

i bought it from italy labelled as a terscheckii but had my doubts all the while ..

especially after gettn a santiaguensis from the same dude labelled as a bridgesii - my first taste of lol

penis cacti

knobbly bits down bottom left flank

post-14443-0-86846000-1432475068_thumb.j

DSC00009 (44).JPG

DSC00009 (44).JPG

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
  • Like 1