The Corroboree
Evil Genius

The Sowing Out Thread

Hi Guys! I just realised that i enjoy reading about which cactus seeds other people are sowing out! How about we use this Thread to journalize the seeds that we plant out! Pics are always welcome! It would be also very cool if we could pin the thread!

Ok, i´ll start! This week i planted some Seeds from Knize! These are the few seeds that i received from my big Knize order! As mentioned before, the rest didnt arrive! I decided that its time to plant them now because they have such a shitty viability anyways and i didnt want to wait even longer!

I planted out:

919 Trichocereus Bridgesii

920 Trichocereus Bridgesii

1688 Trichocereus Peruvianus

338 trichocereus Peruvianus

242 trichocereus Peruvianus

2151 Trichocereus Peruvianus

2152 Trichocereus Peruvianus

2147 Trichocereus Peruvianus

923 Trichocereus Macrogonus

1422 Trichocereus Macrogonus

2150 trichocereus Pachanoi

339 Trichocereus Pachanoi

1421 Trichocereus Cephalomacrostibas

Now its one week after i sown out and its like i expected! The only 2 type of seeds that showed germinations are KK919 and KK920! Both are Trichocereus Bridgesii! Seems like the Bridgesii stay viable longer! Or they are just fresher! I will update later! bye Eg

• Like 1

God... I'm sowing tons this year.

All of the Trichocereus pachanoi and peruvianus from the Sacred Succulents adventure to South America (last years) in the area of Matucana.... as well as Trichocereus peruvianus from Icaros and LOTS of "Lost Peyotes"! Too many to list!

• Like 1

Does anyone know if Knize collects these seeds from plants at the locations the KK numbers are said to come from or are the plants in his Lima collection and allowed to cross pollinate freely? (I can' t imagine that should the plants be in his collection he takes any measure whatsoever to prevent cross pollination.)

~Michael~

I went to Knize's place and I know he has the many different kk plants in little patches on his property. However I did not ask if he uses these for seed production. From what I saw it looked like he used the ones on his property for cuttings as the majority were small and had been cut several times. Many probably too small to flower.

But yeah cant say for sure

and LOTS of "Lost Peyotes"! Too many to list!

Lol, you have listed the fucking thing a million times, getting tired??

• Like 1

I planted a small amount of seeds

Bridgesii

Peruvianus

Pachanoi

Echinocereus knippelianus

& some fresh LL williamsii

i only had a good germination rate with the williamsii, some of the Bridgesii & Pachanoi did germinate but very few so i was disappointed with the results

I was told by the seller the only possibility they did not germinate is bad conditions during post like sitting in a hot post box or letter box ?

I don't know how fresh they were to begin with, but we did have very hot weather when i purchased them & during the shipping period so can only go by what the seller has told me (all seeds except L williamsii were purchased on ebay) :scratchhead:

The L williamsii came from a breeder in Victoria who picked them from his plants early this season

Edited by mac

Hi Mac! I wouldnt be suprised if you got some Knize seeds there! The story with the heat during the shipping isnt that likely! Lophs tend to have a better germination rate because Lophs readily produce seeds and most of the sold seeds are fresh! Which types of Bridgesii, Peruvianus and pachanoi did you plant? bye Eg

Which types of Bridgesii, Peruvianus and pachanoi did you plant? bye Eg

Cant really say what types or where from, The seller didn't offer any other info than species Bridgesii / Peruvianus

I can only assume they buy from a larger dealer & resell because they seem to always have large amounts & many different species on offer but don't supply any other info of origin

I just got a few pachanoi X peruvianus seed on the way from someone who grows their own plants & harvests seed, the fruit was picked fresh this month so hopefully ill have better results.

What is the best way to store my seeds ?(cool dry place) as i have heaps of gold barrel & another species to id that i picked fresh in January, id prefer to sell them or give them away than leave them too long

Edited by mac

umm, sowed but they haven't sprouted yet...

Lots of peruvianus

Macrogonus

Williamsii

Hoodia

All my seeds are from SAB shop.

/me newbie but loving it!

Edited by C_T

The pachanoi X peruvianus sounds interesting! There are so many great crosses out there...i cant wait to see the pics when they´r mature! The best way to keep seeds fresh is to freeze them!

Ct, when did you sow them out? How many Peruvianus did you plant? bye Eg

I think it was not quite a week ago. 1 week monday i believe.

3 or 4 packets of peruvianus, which will be about 50-60?

about 15-20 of each of the others.

It took me hours, and had a sore back by the end of it :P

Cheers.

ps. I also sowed some acasia's and a few other ethno's, alot of those have germinated to about 1-2mm big. Can't see any cacti germinated yet. But i'm patient ;)

Your still in the time CT! Let us know when your seeds are popping up! Yesterday i planted some more and i just realised that my Trichocereus Werdermannianus seeds have germinated too! They are pretty fast! I hope that the Trichocereus Cephalomacrostibas seeds will germinate! I absolutely have to grow this plant!

I just planted these:

Gymnocalycium Calochlorum x Lophophora Koehresii

Trichocereus Longispinus

Trichocereus Pallerensis

Trichocereus Lecoriensis

I hope that the Gymno x Loph Cross will produce seeds! I just had a few seeds and i cant wait to see the plants!

bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1

I still havent got around to putting any seed down this year, im way behind and trying to pot on all of last years seedlings! I have done 7 or so lil pots worth and that equated to around 150+ seedlings in individual pots so far. Only 47 lil pots, three take away containers and 1 tray left to go :S

heres a few 07 seedlings

post-1464-1237598661_thumb.jpgpost-1464-1237598763_thumb.jpgpost-1464-1237598890_thumb.jpg

DSCN0169.JPG

DSCN0166.JPG

DSCN0167.JPG

DSCN0169.JPG

DSCN0166.JPG

DSCN0167.JPG

Fuck Pass..lol..that's a lotta re potting...man oh man..they look nice though as always.

I've sown about 500+ seeds and am having great success with germ rates...actually to much..gunna take me a year to prick out 300 bridesii seedlings from the little punnets they are in.. :blink:

so far sown out

Icaro

Bridgesii

Psych0

loads of SS01

Peruvians

Scop

tons more lophs

a lot of unknown seeds without tags have gone in so that's always fun..

and as usual i scatter random seeds around pots and crevices in the garden for flukers..have noticed a few spring up.

One thing I never got my hands on was some Macro seed..anyone have any fresh spare they wanna let me have for trades etc... B)

next spring should be fun that's for sure.

H.

Have a macro with flowers opening tonite which i will cross with pachanoi, if all works out well ill have some seeds for ya hunab :)

What psycho0 X have you put down??

First attenmpt for me of growing cacti and khat from seed in a fish tank. will try the take away tek to and see what works best no sporouts yet the waiting game begins. Nice pics PD

Hey PD! thanks for sticking the Thread! Almost broke my neck while trying to read your labels! :lol: Some of the crosses sound great! Did you cross them yourself? I cant remember that i saw these on a catalouge! I cant wait to see the pics your going to post in the future! A lot of Psycho and Super Pedro Crosses! KK920 grows good, right? Its one of the fastes growing cacti i have! Which clone is Whiora? I never heard of it! bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

gunna take me a year to prick out 300 bridesii seedlings from the little punnets they are in..

Hunab, i feel your pain! :lol: Thats the Disadvantage of sowing out large packets with 50 to 100 seeds! Most of the seedlings survive and soon you´ll be running out of space. And time! bye Eg

Yeh did all Xs myself EG, and YES, the kk920 is a vigorous grower for sure, has really taken off the last few weeks. Whiora is a tricho/echinopsis hybrid. I managed to cross pachanoi back into it and the seedlings were very fragile at first. A lot of variegated looking seedlings, the odd double header and what might be a crest or 3, just gotta nurse them thru the early stage and see how they fare! The favourite out of the bunch would have to be the Psycho0xSpachianus, hardly any of them survived, VERY fragile, only around 6 or 7 from memory, be an interesting looking plant i think!

Wow Pass, what a rare Cross! Actually i never heard from another Pach/Peruvianus x Spachianus cross before. Well, if i think about it then i slightly remember of one cross that someone i knew did once! But i dont know if they survived and i never saw the resulting plants! Please post some pics from time to time! bye Eg

Have a macro with flowers opening tonite which i will cross with pachanoi, if all works out well ill have some seeds for ya hunab :)

What psycho0 X have you put down??

The Psych0 where labelled Psych0 X ?...go figure LOL..they are outside in a huge old terracotta pot and about 30 out of 50 germinated so I expect to get 20 nice seedlings from that bunch anyways..I'll take you up on that macro x pach seeds though..hope ya get some nice fruits from em.

H.

I hope I am still around in 20 or 30 years to see people talking about what they have found throughout the yards and properties of Australia. I mean you all know that at some point more than a few of these plants are going to be passed on to family, friends, and strangers who plop them in the ground sans tags? At that point "species" names are going to mean nothing and if you think proper identification is hard now...just wait. No doubt the "lumping" of "species" is the way of the future, and all based upon a very small handful of "pure" species the plant looks like even if the progeny show the full range of each parents species' characteristics, from one end to the other. Cross a T. bridgesii and a T. peruvianus and you will likely have people calling siblings of the same parents two completely different species. Oh this is going to be fun.

~Michael~

• Like 1

if you think proper identification is hard now...just wait.

:blush: well i planted a rather random mix today cheers Micro :wink:

Some

PC X Bruce, PC X Sausage Plant, OR PC X Yowie and Bruce X Sausage Plant.

I think it is predominantly the first two
:huh:

Echinocactus grusonii (golden barrel) Collected From LINK

& the one on the right of pic ? i have not tried to id yet Collected From LINK

Im still waiting on the pachanoi X peruvianus seed it should be here this week.

Edited by mac

EG, in your original list Trichocereus cephalomacrostibas seems to be the single one that doesnt fit the entheo pattern. Are you growing it just cause its pretty or is there more to it than I know?

The Gymnocalycium calochlorum x Lophophora koehresii is a very impressive prospect, Gymnocalycium is tribe Trichocereae! If it does flower be sure and try to hybridize it with bridgesii :wink:

As for myself this is the first year I'm really taking cacti seriously, I'm starting up the following and will probably make another order from mesa soon

Ariocarpus agavoides

Ariocarpus fissuratus

Coryphantha compacta

Echinocereus dasyacanthus

Echinocereus mojavensis

Echinocereus polyacanthus

Pediocactus despainii

Pediocactus nigrispinus

Pediocactus robustior

Pediocactus simpsonii

Peniocereus gregii

Trichocereus hybrid LC001

Trichocereus hybrid LC002

Trichocereus bridgesii, 98 of them :)

Trichocereus peruvianus

Turbinicarpus lophophoroides

I have more that I havent planted yet, waiting to see where the urges move me.

The 98 bridges are going to be selected for the most cold hardy 5 or so... well 97 are, I'm pretty sure one is monstrose so I'll keep it. (unknown bloodline from Horizon Herbs, 90% germination)

The peruvianus I'm starting a few as specimen plants and the rest I will irradiate as seedlings and hopefully get a monstrose or two, I may irradiate some A. fissuratus too. I irradiated one spare E. dasyacanthus as a test to see how much radiation seedlings can take, glad I did.. its now dust floating toward canada :P

• Like 1

Hi Auxin! I´m glad that you are finally infected with the cactus virus! :wink: I especially like Trichocereus Cephalomacrostibas because it is a gorgeous cactus! I dont know about the Alkaloid Profile! I assume it hasnt been tested yet! I grow all thinkable types of cacti without looking at the alkaloids. My focus was on trichocereus but now i´m slowly starting to cross everything that can be crossed! My next plants that will be crossed are Lobivia x Trichocereus, Pseudolobivia x Trichocereus, Gymnocalycium x Lophophora, Ariocarpus x Lophophora/Gymno/Ariocarpus and the reverse! The Gymno x Loph cross that i planted came from a very close friend and i really cant wait to see the plants! I expect the germination rate to be good because the seeds are fresh as they can be!

Your list is cool! What are the Trichocereus hybrids LC001 and LC002? And your peruvianus is from mesa garden? I once bought from them and i was pretty happy about the germination rate!

Mac, those are some great crosses! I´m looking forward for mine too! If you look at those great parents, the resulting seedlings can only be good! Micromegas, you make my heart go boom! :wub:

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1